Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468069 times)

RottingNation

• View Profile
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #405 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:35 AM »

Sooo, The Watchmen presents a world where the "Pyramid" group runs the world with false flag terror attacks?  The good people in the film are the ones who orchestrate death for the greater good?  The real hero is a psychopath bad guy who deserves to be killed because he won't go along with it?  I'm curious. 

The moral ambiguity is there on purpose.  The viewer is supposed to question whether or not Veidt's actions were justified, same with Rorschach.  There is no black and white good guy/bad guy dynamic.  It forces the viewer to think, which seems to be confusing a lot of the moviegoing community.  I guess they aren't used to that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:17:56 AM by RottingNation »
--------------------------------------------------------
"I am not a number, I am a free man."

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #406 on: March 10, 2009, 01:36:03 AM »

I like all the mindgames that a movie like that plays on the audience. I didnt guess the whole sacrifice for the greater good thing but I did decide who I thought the bad guy was going to be (correctly too) fairly quickly into the movie.

The only part of the movie I felt was wholly unecessary was the entire part about the comedian raping the one lady and all the drama that ensued from that. Perhaps that was supposed to add a little bit of "chic-flic" film into it. I dunno, whaddya think?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

RottingNation

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 10, 2009, 01:54:21 AM »

The only part of the movie I felt was wholly unecessary was the entire part about the comedian raping the one lady and all the drama that ensued from that. Perhaps that was supposed to add a little bit of "chic-flic" film into it. I dunno, whaddya think?

I think it was there to show just how fucked up The Comedian was and all of the others knew it, but Rorschach was still willing to defend him because "An attack on one is an attack on all."  I think it was also a little window into the kind of effects that Vietnam and the Korean War had on some of the soldiers at the time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:57:19 AM by RottingNation »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 10, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »

WOW.
I'm one third of the way through watching The Watchmen (I havent read any of the comics) and I have to say that I am enjoying the music at least. A lot of songs I like a whole lot.
The rest is equally good.
Haha that was the first thing I said when I walked out of the movie!  The Soundtrack was awesome.

A better hero:

Hell Yessssss, Orgazmo is the best.  Think they'll ever make a sequel?

"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 10, 2009, 06:14:22 AM »

Sooo, The Watchmen presents a world where the "Pyramid" group runs the world with false flag terror attacks?  The good people in the film are the ones who orchestrate death for the greater good?  The real hero is a psychopath bad guy who deserves to be killed because he won't go along with it?  I'm curious. 

The moral ambiguity is there on purpose.  The viewer is supposed to question whether or not Veidt's actions were justified, same with Rorschach.  There is no black and white good guy/bad guy dynamic.  It forces the viewer to think, which seems to be confusing a lot of the moviegoing community.  I guess they aren't used to that.
I really liked that aspect of the movie although I still only give it 4/5 stars.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2009, 06:36:02 AM »

It forces the viewer to think, which seems to be confusing a lot of the moviegoing community.  I guess they aren't used to that.

I wonder if it will make money.

Apart from being a terribly expensive production, it has another problem in being 2 and 1/2 hours long. That makes it difficult to have multiple showings in one night. However other long films have succeded.. Look at Titanic, that was the most expensive film ever made in its time and it did very well.

RottingNation

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »

I really liked that aspect of the movie although I still only give it 4/5 stars.

4/5 is fair.  I think it loses some points for being a tad bit to long and a slightly disjointed narrative.

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »

4/5 is fair.  I think it loses some points for being a tad bit to long and a slightly disjointed narrative.

Did anybody mention that Alan Moore, the author of the original comic, totally disowned the project and refuses to even see the film?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2009, 11:51:50 AM »

Did anybody mention that Alan Moore, the author of the original comic, totally disowned the project and refuses to even see the film?

That's a blanket thing, though, and not restricted to this film.

Alan Moore is an nutbag asshole anyway. His opinions suck.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 10, 2009, 01:19:45 PM »

Have you seen a lot of chick flicks with rape scenes in them?

RottingNation

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 10, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »

Have you seen a lot of chick flicks with rape scenes in them?

This.  Is a good question.

RottingNation

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 10, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »

Wow.  Apparently people are walking out of the theaters...

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 10, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »

Wow.  Apparently people are walking out of the theaters...

It appears to be mainly people who don't grasp the concept that an R-rated movie may contain violence and nudity.  Probably people who think that a film about superheroes is always geared toward kids, no matter what it's rated.  Probably the same people who think that animated films are always for kids, who aren't familiar with Spike and Mike or hentai. 

How many people walked out of Grindhouse?  Probably not many, because they knew what they were getting into. 

I've walked out of one movie: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, because it was so appallingly awful that I just couldn't stay there anymore.  I wasn't the only one. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:45:49 PM by Rillion »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #418 on: March 10, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »

Also, all the violence was spectacular, and the nudity well timed. Its not spiderman people!
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Stobrawa

« Reply #419 on: March 10, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »

Just watched Expelled. Total crap. Religulous will be here tomorrow, I have much higher hopes for Bill Maher.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 32 queries.