Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 129   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you've watched  (Read 468149 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Last movie you've watched
« Reply #1740 on: May 28, 2011, 09:41:36 AM »

Blair Witch Project was a mediocre movie, pretty damned decent for the budget, but with excellent promotion.  The only people who thought it was that scary seemed to be people who bought into the bullshit that it was a true story and that those people actually died.

I liked Cloverfield too.  It was an interesting approach for doing a horror movie.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 28, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »

Even allowing for the existence of a monster which sheds flecks off of itself which turn into other monsters, and eats New York, I found the mechanism of the mayhem entirely unbelievable, and the characters' behavior even more so.  Further, there wasn't anything that could be laughingly called a plot, unless that plot is "run away from the monster, run back to the monster so a whole bunch of you can die to save a girl who will probably die anyway, then declare your love, then die."

live -> love
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:27:38 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 28, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »

Even allowing for the existence of a monster which sheds flecks off of itself which turn into other monsters, and eats New York, I found the mechanism of the mayhem entirely unbelievable, and the characters' behavior even more so.  Further, there wasn't anything that could be laughingly called a plot, unless that plot is "run away from the monster, run back to the monster so a whole bunch of you can die to save a girl who will probably die anyway, then declare your live, then die."
+1  I thought that was a terrible movie too.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #1743 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »

Even allowing for the existence of a monster which sheds flecks off of itself which turn into other monsters,

I just took that as its reproductive system and I didn't see them as flecks as much as just budding like hydras.  Maybe in time, if they aren't killed off and they eat enough, they will grow up to be like mommy.  Monster movies are far-fetched by nature but I didn't find this one to be particularly moreso.  No plot, true, but it had a series of contrived excuses for creepy scenarios to play out which is all it needed.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 29, 2011, 01:05:40 AM »

Even allowing for the existence of a monster which sheds flecks off of itself which turn into other monsters,

I just took that as its reproductive system and I didn't see them as flecks as much as just budding like hydras.  Maybe in time, if they aren't killed off and they eat enough, they will grow up to be like mommy.  Monster movies are far-fetched by nature but I didn't find this one to be particularly moreso.  No plot, true, but it had a series of contrived excuses for creepy scenarios to play out which is all it needed.

Remember, I was allowing for the strange form of reproduction, and the far-fetched nature of the monster itself, not the actions of the participants.  I was holding it to the standard of any other fiction, not braindead monster movies, which I would also rate low.  Compare to, say, The Thing, Alien or Predator.  Surely not the greatest of cinema, but the examples I pulled out of my ass have a lot more going for them.  I also agree with whoever said he got very tired of the "handheld effect."

clarified, a bit
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:07:58 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

yamnuska

« Reply #1745 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »

Thor,  wow, I'd so love to have a threesome with him and Natalie, the movie was good escapisim but the past few years most movies tend to feel way to short, like there aren't enough movies within the movie. Like the earlier Bond movies, each place he went was a movie within a movie, now it's over so fast and I'm left unfullfilled, sort of like sex lately. Wham, bam, thank you mam.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: June 07, 2011, 12:20:02 AM »

Inside Job

Very disappointing.  I was really looking forward to seeing it.  I figured they were going to out the government and the banking industry for being in bed with each other, particularly in the case of the Federal Reserve.  It ended up being about how "deregulation" caused everything.  Barney Frank, Henry Waxman, George Soros and Elliot Spitzer were their biggest heros, and the biggest implication was that we should go back to what we had pre-Bush.  

There was no discussion of fiat money, fractional reserve banking, government mandates and assurances that lead to the perverse incentives, or any disclosure of who the Federal Reserve actually is (the criminals largely responsible, in the long run.)  Basically, they took about 10% of the causes, pretended they were all of the causes, smeared it with "overpaid executives" and "corporate greed," and pretended "real government oversight" would have prevented the whole thing, and should be established.  On the bright side, it wasn't entirely politically partisan, but the leftist stench was almost unbearable from the start.

added Henry Waxman and George Soros to "heros" list.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:32:40 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: June 07, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »

Inside Job

Very disappointing.  I was really looking forward to seeing it.  I figured they were going to out the government and the banking industry for being in bed with each other, particularly in the case of the Federal Reserve.  It ended up being about how "deregulation" caused everything.  Barney Frank, Henry Waxman, George Soros and Elliot Spitzer were their biggest heros, and the biggest implication was that we should go back to what we had pre-Bush. 

There was no discussion of fiat money, fractional reserve banking, government mandates and assurances that lead to the perverse incentives, or any disclosure of who the Federal Reserve actually is (the criminals largely responsible, in the long run.)  Basically, they took about 10% of the causes, pretended they were all of the causes, smeared it with "overpaid executives" and "corporate greed," and pretended "real government oversight" would have prevented the whole thing, and should be established.  On the bright side, it wasn't entirely politically partisan, but the leftist stench was almost unbearable from the start.

added Henry Waxman and George Soros to "heros" list.

Mostly agreed, though I think the implication was that all the badness started with Reagan.  He was the first guy the movie showed giving his "we need to deregulate" spiel.  It's funny how they completely omitted regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley, but that doesn't count because it didn't fit their narrative...and it would hurt the "Bush the great deregulator" myth.

They actually did spend some time talking about fractional reserve banking and fiat money.  They had a whole little conversation (or maybe even more than one) about how it is all built on confidence, that there isn't a bank in the world with the reserves to pay off all its depositors, and that if banks stop lending to each other that will cause a collapse.  That was definitely discussed, but it was subtle.

But yeah, there were a ton of problems with the movie.  To really do a better job it would necessarily have to be much longer.  As it is, it just painted the crisis as something completely due to the lack of regulation in the banking sector.  They touch on the interconnectedness of government and the banks, but don't do much more than let you know that Hank Paulson used to run GS before he was the Secretary of the Treasury.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: June 07, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »

Oh yeah, and the all but ignored the role Fannie and Freddie played.  The only thing we really hear about them is that they became insolvent and the government took them over.  Crisis averted, right? ;)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #1749 on: June 17, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »

Did I already say that I was going to watch this but shut it off after ten minutes or so? I even paid money for it at Family Video.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:40 AM »

Did I already say that I was going to watch this but shut it off after ten minutes or so? I even paid money for it at Family Video.

Yeah, it smelled of leftist-trying-not-to-be-democrat-biased (and failing--ahem--Barney Frank, Henry Waxman, George Soros, Elliot Spitzer, all "heros"--ahem.)

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:18 AM »

I just watched In and Out.  If you wanna see a really gay movie, that sadly isn't about a southern CA burger joint, I highly recommend it.

Before that I watched Sucker Punch.  I'm still not sure what it's about or if I even liked it.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #1752 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »

Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story

Great doc about one of my heroes.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

blackie

« Reply #1753 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »

The Adventures of Power. It's a movie about air drumming. Neil Peart is in it.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 10, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »

I watched the new Transformers movie on Friday.  The plot is terrible and full of holes, but the action is pretty well done.  If you like eye candy, it's worth seeing.  Otherwise, pass on it.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 129   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Last movie you've watched

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.