Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  L. Neil Smith turns out to be a statist asshole
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: L. Neil Smith turns out to be a statist asshole  (Read 49355 times)

yamnuska

Re: L. Neil Smith turns out to be a statist asshole
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »

A university course often exists so that the prof teaching it can make their read by nobody textbook required reading. If you really want to piss off a prof tell them their textbook is on sale at Amazon for 40% less than what the university book store sells it for. The academic community is one community where IP law needs to go away, so many useless pricks make a living off it that it ain't funny. I will have a huge fucking orgasim if all univeristies and colleges became private and got no more tax dollars, so many usless pricks would be fired I would have a hard time containing my laughter.

davann

« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »

I asked her time and time again to show me how she can own an idea.

My head just went in a loop... "owning an idea" is an idea that some people own. By telling me that they own an idea, and I can't have it without their permission... they are also saying that I must take the idea "owning an idea" from them whether I like it or not... I think I'll short circuit if I think about that too long.

I can tell you I have many ideas that I own. Of course after everyone's behavior here they will never leave my head. Or least I will never leave them out in the open here among the thieves.

Aint it nice being right?

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »

Remember never beat a dead horse mid stream...

Here's what I'm thinking... Smith's document says, "this Covenant, being the Property of its Author and Signatories, shall not be Subject to Interpretation excepting insofar as it shall please them."

He wrote in the Covenant itself that it is the property of the SIGNATORIES. I would sign it myself and send him his two dollars, except for one problem.

I am not willing to sign section five of his document:

"FIFTH... any Entity or Association, however constituted, acting to contravene them(these Principles) by initiation of Force -- or Threat of same -- shall have forfeited its Right to exist;"

"forfeiting its Right to exist" sounds like the death penalty to me. If I pee in your rose bushes I still have the right to exist, I've just created an obligation to resolve the damages. I have a problem signing something saying that one who initiates force has no right to exist.

However, if anyone here is a signatory, they can certainly give the Shire permission to plagiarize it, as an owner.
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

I asked her time and time again to show me how she can own an idea.

My head just went in a loop... "owning an idea" is an idea that some people own. By telling me that they own an idea, and I can't have it without their permission... they are also saying that I must take the idea "owning an idea" from them whether I like it or not... I think I'll short circuit if I think about that too long.

I can tell you I have many ideas that I own. Of course after everyone's behavior here they will never leave my head. Or least I will never leave them out in the open here among the thieves.

Aint it nice being right?

It's the way things are in reality, with the BS of "intellectual property" out of the way.  I have plenty of ideas in my head that I have not leveraged because patents are bullshit, and I want to leverage them in a way that they will make me money.  Actually, I've been thinking one through in more detail lately, and I may soon act on it.  Hint: I won't be writing and selling a patent--I'll be using the idea to make money myself.

Remember never beat a dead horse mid stream...

Here's what I'm thinking... Smith's document says, "this Covenant, being the Property of its Author and Signatories, shall not be Subject to Interpretation excepting insofar as it shall please them."

He wrote in the Covenant itself that it is the property of the SIGNATORIES. I would sign it myself and send him his two dollars, except for one problem.

I am not willing to sign section five of his document:

"FIFTH... any Entity or Association, however constituted, acting to contravene them(these Principles) by initiation of Force -- or Threat of same -- shall have forfeited its Right to exist;"

"forfeiting its Right to exist" sounds like the death penalty to me. If I pee in your rose bushes I still have the right to exist, I've just created an obligation to resolve the damages. I have a problem signing something saying that one who initiates force has no right to exist.

However, if anyone here is a signatory, they can certainly give the Shire permission to plagiarize it, as an owner.

I also don't like Article 1; in my view the cause of the trouble to begin with.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2010, 09:23:58 AM »

The core problem seems to be that, by changing what Smith wrote, Smith believes his work was harmed.

By changing it, the Shire folks believe it's no longer what he wrote.

These two positions are impossible to reconcile.

So, pain and stress and hostility all around. Burmashave.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »

The core problem seems to be that, by changing what Smith wrote, Smith believes his work was harmed.

By changing it, the Shire folks believe it's no longer what he wrote.

These two positions are impossible to reconcile.

So, pain and stress and hostility all around. Burmashave.

Like I said before I expect el kneel to show up in keene with a baseball bat to extract his vengeance... :lol:

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »

I had been planning to read the novel The Probability Broach (Copyright 1980, 1996, L. Neil Smith) for about a year, since having it in my possession, and was finally getting around to it today.  Imagine my shock when I began reading the forward by Andrea Millen Rich.  The very first words I read were as follows:

"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not of sight nor of sound but ideas and, yes, imagination."

I would be willing to bet a truckload of parchment that Mr. Smith did not "sentence" Ms. Rich to reading three of his novels, nor call her names or accuse her of "plagiarizing and vandalizing" the works of Rod Serling.  No, instead, he published "her words" as the forward to the novel he copyrighted and profited from.

The words "irony" and "hypocrisy" come to mind.

Addendum:
her novels --> his novels
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:19:59 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »

I had been planning to read the novel The Probability Broach (Copyright 1980, 1996, L. Neil Smith) for about a year, since having it in my possession, and was finally getting around to it today.  Imagine my shock when I began reading the forward by Andrea Millen Rich.  The very first words I read were as follows:

"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not of sight nor of sound but ideas and, yes, imagination."

I would be willing to bet a truckload of parchment that Mr. Smith did not "sentence" Ms. Rich to reading three of her novels, nor call her names or accuse her of "plagiarizing and vandalizing" the works of Rod Serling.  No, instead, he published "her words" as the forward to the novel he copyrighted and profited from.

I'd like to hear his response to that :)
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »

After carefully reviewing all of the above evidence, I hereby decree that, yes, as matter of fact, L. Neil Smith is a giant douchebag who's hypocrisy and embarrassingly high level of cognitive dissonance knows no limits. It would be an injustice to sentence you to anything less than sucking the juices out of my asshole............. may god have mercy on your soul Mr Smith.

[bangs gavel repeatedly]

Court adjourned !!!

PS -  I still say the "Shire Society" is a gay name.......like hobbits and shit. Shoulda just called it "The Covenant" just to REALLY piss the bastard off.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:13:37 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

I would be willing to bet a truckload of parchment that Mr. Smith did not "sentence" Ms. Rich to reading three of her novels, nor call her names or accuse her of "plagiarizing and vandalizing" the works of Rod Serling.  No, instead, he published "her words" as the forward to the novel he copyrighted and profited from.

I'd like to hear his response to that :)

It wouldn't be pleasant.
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »

It wouldn't be pleasant.

It's hard to watch when an otherwise rational person goes ape-shit.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

yamnuska

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2010, 04:00:24 AM »

After carefully reviewing all of the above evidence, I hereby decree that, yes, as matter of fact, L. Neil Smith is a giant douchebag who's hypocrisy and embarrassingly high level of cognitive dissonance knows no limits. It would be an injustice to sentence you to anything less than sucking the juices out of my asshole............. may god have mercy on your soul Mr Smith.

[bangs gavel repeatedly]

Court adjourned !!!

PS -  I still say the "Shire Society" is a gay name.......like hobbits and shit. Shoulda just called it "The Covenant" just to REALLY piss the bastard off.

I second all this, and, I'm gonna download his shit books for free.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2010, 04:43:56 AM »

By the way, I finished reading The Probability Broach, and I'd give it an A-.  I think he tries too hard to be prosaic/humorous in every sentence, which makes him a little difficult to read--especially in the first 50 pages.  He also has the annoying habit of starting every chapter with an annoying "quote" by people like "Mary Ross-Byrd."  No wonder he "warned" me that he's already tussled with the likes of Murray Rothbard.  I'll bet Rothbard didn't like having words put in his mouth and/or being made into a caricature of himself.  

Incidentally, in Smith's world, Ayn Rand was President (at one time.)  Then again, so was Robert LeFevre, who did indeed rock (and wouldn't have been caught dead being president.)  

Oh, and there was something about a more advanced society abandoning the patent system.  I guess after he got a few more books under his belt, he either had a change of heart, or, it's "different" with copyright (I was paying attention, and there was no reference to copyright in the body of the story.)

Yeah, I rambled.  Sorry.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »

No wonder he "warned" me that he's already tussled with the likes of Murray Rothbard.

To make sense of that remark, it is a fact that Rothbard didn't consider "space" to be homesteadable. The price of entry was so high that "only a government could do it", so Rothbard simply poo-poo'd any talk about it.

Remember that the early 1970's were space-crazy, people were talking about "What do we do when we get there?" so Rothbard's dismissal of the subject stuck in Smith's craw.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »

No wonder he "warned" me that he's already tussled with the likes of Murray Rothbard.

To make sense of that remark, it is a fact that Rothbard didn't consider "space" to be homesteadable. The price of entry was so high that "only a government could do it", so Rothbard simply poo-poo'd any talk about it.

Remember that the early 1970's were space-crazy, people were talking about "What do we do when we get there?" so Rothbard's dismissal of the subject stuck in Smith's craw.

I guess like everyone, Rothbard found enough to be wrong about.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  L. Neil Smith turns out to be a statist asshole

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.