Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)  (Read 26708 times)

bonerjoe

Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/20/2007)
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:12 PM »

90% sure its this one, and he's got it for $550:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=324

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »

The guy in the flea market has a nice looking "pistol" model.

Those are awesome looking but kinda hard to aim. Shoot one before you decide for sure.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Ed

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

Thank you, kind sir.

Sure thing!

My advice, go to the nearest Dunham's and buy the $299 special after looking at the gas assembly and making sure it's not canted to one side.

You'll be perfectly happy.

2009. :(

bonerjoe

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »

Those are awesome looking but kinda hard to aim. Shoot one before you decide for sure.

I bet they are. But I wouldn't necessarily be buying it for "aiming" situations.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »

I bet they are. But I wouldn't necessarily be buying it for "aiming" situations.

Fair enough. They're a hell of a lot of fun, no matter what you use it for.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »

I wouldn't mind the short barrel so much, but would want a collapsable stock on it. 

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »

I wouldn't mind the short barrel so much, but would want a collapsable stock on it. 

Agreed. You're only going to get so much accuracy out of the thing to begin with. They're made for 300 yards or less. (Really 250 in my opinion.)

It's a trade off between loose part tolerances and exceptional reliability, or highly accurately machined parts and good accuracy. The AK is a loose parts reliable gun.

fisher

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »

I would want a folding stock, but then it would be an SBR.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2007, 05:27:37 PM »

Agreed. You're only going to get so much accuracy out of the thing to begin with. They're made for 300 yards or less. (Really 250 in my opinion.)

It's a trade off between loose part tolerances and exceptional reliability, or highly accurately machined parts and good accuracy. The AK is a loose parts reliable gun.

Its interesting to hear all the abuse stories of what an AK can take, sand and mud and muck.  I wonder if that was just a bonus in the design because of the soviet ineptitude in machine works, or if K developed it with those loose tolerances so parts could be swapped from different factories without any problems, plus the cold and heat expansion, grit an all that shit he expected it to be used in. 

I've also heard some knock-offs have a pinned barrel, and the better ones are threaded on with a square edge on the round barrel.  Supposedly, the pinned barrels are to be avoided due to the fact they can get wiggly after years of abuse and swapping between negligent owners. 

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »

Its interesting to hear all the abuse stories of what an AK can take, sand and mud and muck.  I wonder if that was just a bonus in the design because of the soviet ineptitude in machine works, or if K developed it with those loose tolerances so parts could be swapped from different factories without any problems, plus the cold and heat expansion, grit an all that shit he expected it to be used in. 

I've also heard some knock-offs have a pinned barrel, and the better ones are threaded on with a square edge on the round barrel.  Supposedly, the pinned barrels are to be avoided due to the fact they can get wiggly after years of abuse and swapping between negligent owners. 

Don't know for sure about the barrel thing, but as for the design, like most of the Russian commie stuff, it was cribbed off of American designs, mostly.
The M1 Garand was the inspiration for most of the action of the AK, and by consequence similar to the M-14 internally. (Obviously later.) Much of the rest of the design is similar to the German StG44.

The Garand, apart from the size/caliber difference, is just as loosely designed, but more accurate because of that huge assed barrel.

But really, the AK is mostly just a smaller Garand with a different feeding mechanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand_rifle#Descendants

Ed

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »

God I need to go to the range and shoot my saiga.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2007, 08:36:25 PM »

www.arsenalinc.com
www.elitefirearms.net  <bought a pistol from these guys, very high quality, but didnt ever send the extra mags promised

*oh yeah, Bulgarian AKs are the best.....imo outside of US made aks

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

08-21-2007 - Another exotic rifle.

This is the Sako TRG-21. They don't make it anymore. Finnish. It is an actual really for real sniper rifle. And by that, what I mean is, they didn't take some other tried and true rifle and accurize it. This rifle was designed from bottom up as a sniper rifle. It has an effective range of close to 900 yards with a .308 Winchester. That's half a mile.

There's not much better out there than this, apart from some of Sako's newer guns. They aren't cheap, but you can, if you're a good shot, feel comfortable shooting medium sized game at far beyond what you'd typically accept as safe hunting ranges. (To not lose your deer, elk, whatever.) I made a base of neck shot from around 300 yards with this one and would have pulled trigger even farther, without feeling weird. (But I wouldn't have gone for a crazy trick shot.) ***

If you can afford it, and you can honestly say that you are an exceptional shot with a rifle, this is one of the best in the world. (They're close to 2500 bucks for a .308, and you can get a good Remington 700 for a third of the price, so don't waste the money unless you know you can put it to good use, or have money to burn.)*

***EDIT: It was a deer. Wanted to make that clear so Tom and NHAT don't get all sexed up about it.

*I want to make it clear that, while I am an extremely good shot with a rifle, I'm not trying to brag because if you hand me a handgun and tell me to shoot something without a scope, I can't get much better than ten yards before I totally suck the pipe. Melissa is the handgun expert, and she can keep that crown.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:59:41 PM by John Shaw »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/21/2007)
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:18 AM »

you should get back into the handguns, John. I like it when you talk about the handguns. Do you have a "Mauser"??? (spelling???)

I've been mixing it up until I find a better way to photograph the handguns. (Been putting it off) I'm kinda spreading out and mixing cheap guns with whacky guns so I don't have a large run of expensive/unusual/rare guns and basically shoot my wad, and only have boring stuff left.

I only have seven more handguns, and everything else I own, (Close to forty more guns.) is a rifle. So I want to spread it out.

And nope, I don't collect many C&R guns. I have an SKS, and a couple of others waiting to be posted. No Mauser at this point. Except for the Trouser Mauser, that is. ;-)

timmysoboy

• Word
    • View Profile
Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/21/2007)
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2007, 07:48:18 PM »

I'm quite happy he has moved on to the rifles.  Their just funner (corse this is coming from the kid who only shot a BB gun in boy scouts).  I especially enjoyed the AK segment, I've been gun shopping for a while, and they have always appealed to my taists.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.