Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)  (Read 26709 times)

Ed

Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/02/2007)
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2007, 12:59:58 AM »

Johnshawpissedoffyellingatmeinlargefontexplosiveorgasm!

Oh man, that was priceless!

Same place next week?

Fuck off you goon.

Even that piece of shit gun John posted earlier is worth more than your life.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 01:52:56 AM »

Entry for 08/03/2007 - Smith & Wesson Model 60

The Model 60 started production in 1965. It has the distinction of being the first stainless steel revolver ever made. It is based on the design of the Chief's Special, one of the first J Frame guns. (J frame meaning the smallest revolver frame Smith & Wesson makes.)

In the 1990's they started making them a little thicker, and changed the caliber from .38 Special to .38 Special/.357 magnum. Mine is from 1979 and only does .38 Special.

Tiny and powerful, and has that cool assed S&W revolver look to it. (I think that they make the best looking revolvers on the market.) It also looks pimped out with the laser shooting out of it. Hard to see in the photo, look for the red dot next to my fingers at the top of the grip.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:08:57 AM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2007, 02:03:43 AM »

Entry #2 for 08/03/2007 - Ruger 22/45

The world's best practice gun, so far as I'm concerned. The ten shot magazines are about twelve bucks a piece, and you can get 500 rounds of ammo for about the same price. Nothing is cheaper or more fun to shoot at the range than this little pea shooter. I don't even count .22 for ammo expense, and I probably shoot a couple hundred rounds a month through it.

It has the same grip angle and nearly the same weight as a 1911, so it's nearly perfect for getting used to the more powerful gun without blowing huge coin on .45ACP non stop. Often considered the "1911 practice gun." Only one major difference: Comparing the difference in recoil.  :P

I've shot five inch groups at 25 yards with this pistol, from a bag, and it could probably do better with a better pistol shooter than me.

This gun and the Ruger 10/22 (Which will be listed later.) are the two best "First" guns to get any young person who wants to learn to shoot. Twenty five years later and I still shoot them.

fisher

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »

This gun and the Ruger 10/22 (Which will be listed later.) are the two best "First" guns to get any young person who wants to learn to shoot.
Really?

A semi-auto rifle and a heavy semi-auto pistol?

:lol:

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2007, 02:54:56 PM »

Really?

A semi-auto rifle and a heavy semi-auto pistol?

:lol:

Yes, really. Almost every gun person I know started off with a Ruger 10/22 or a Winchester (RIP) or a Remington.

http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads/rifle_040405/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:58:32 PM by John Shaw »

fisher

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »

http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads/rifle_040405/
I don't care about hunting.

I would stick with a single shot rifle, and for a handgun, a revolver that isn't heavy.....but that is just me.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2007, 12:09:18 AM »

Entry for 08/04/2007 - Springfield XD Subcompacts, Black and Stainless.

GLOCK move over! Springfield Armory licensed and imports these guns from HS Produkt, formerly I.M. Metal, in Croatia of all places.
They do everything a GLOCK does, just as well, and have more/better stuff on them:

1911 Grip angle
1911 style grip safety
Loaded Chamber indicator
Cock indicator
Ambidextrous mag release
Sig style takedown lever
Sig style sights (Sig sights can be used on them)
Tactical rail
Sights and trigger are made of steel, unlike the GLOCK.
Steel magazines

We dig these guns and trust them enough to be our primary carry guns. My wife liked mine (The stainless one) so much that she went out and bought the black one the same day she shot mine.

They can handle the same sort of rough treatment that a GLOCK can, which is really impressive. Here's a link to the XD torture test.
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

And apart from all that stuff, they have an appealing look. Sort of like a bulldog. And if eleven rounds of 9mm in a gun that small doesn't impress, you can use the grip extension magazine that does 16 +1.  :shock: Lot's of firepower for a little gun.

Ed

Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/04/2007)
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2007, 12:23:39 AM »

I really want an XD. That's the first handgun I'm going to get for sure.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2007, 12:40:27 AM »

Entry #2 for 08/04/2007 - You know it, you love it: The Smith & Wesson Model 460v

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

Harry Callahan was already mistaken when he said that famous line in 1971. The most powerful handgun in the world at the time was the .454 Casull*, which had been around since 1957. However, the .44 magnum was definitely better known and more popular.

Americans don't screw around when it comes to what they like. The semi free market that we have will do its best to fulfill the needs of just about every weird kink we have. When it comes to guns, Americans are no different. We like the biggest and best we can afford. We like showing off what we create for ourselves. Companies fill that gap.

The Smith 460, and its bigger brother, the 500, are the results of an overwhelming desire for people to be able to fight off a bear, buffalo, elephant, rhinoceros, alien invasion, dinosaur attack, or army of fifty foot women.

The X frame, that S&W bases these guns on, is huge. Depending on the barrel these revolvers can be between four and six pounds. (An M15 rife weighs around the same amount, to give you an idea.)

The X frames were sort of an apology to the American people for pussying out to Bill Clinton and putting locks on their guns after legal threats in the early nineties. They're big, (again) loud, and powerful. You can't comfortably carry one as a side arm, (Although it can be done.) and concealing one would be rather silly.

The 460 can shoot 200 grain (Pretty big) rounds at up to 2300 feet per second and has chamber pressures of around 63000 PSI. This isn't really a handgun, it's a rifle that happens to not look like one.

I call mine Mjolnir, named after the hammer of Thor.

*You could basically call it a .45 Magnum. They took a .45 Colt revolver round and magnumized it. The .460 Magnum is the same round, only longer and more potent. It's sort of a .45 Magnum Magnum.

Ed

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2007, 12:42:54 AM »

or army of fifty foot women.

Now why on Earth would you want to go and do that for?

bonerjoe

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2007, 12:43:07 AM »

Why the 460 and not the 500? Too big of a bang?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2007, 12:48:07 AM »

The 460 is a slightly smaller bullet, but has a more powerful charge. It's actually got a harder kick. But the real reason is that with the 460, you also can shoot .454 Casull, and regular .45 Long Colt out of them. Makes going to the range a lot cheaper.

And with the 500, you can only shoot .500 magnum or .500 special, which both cost the same, at almost three bucks a pop. And the 500 shoots heavier rounds at a shorter range of accuracy. Slightly better for shooting/killing elephants than the 460, but worse at just about anything else.

bonerjoe

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2007, 01:01:24 AM »

The 460 is a slightly smaller bullet, but has a more powerful charge. It's actually got a harder kick. But the real reason is that with the 460, you also can shoot .454 Casull, and regular .45 Long Colt out of them. Makes going to the range a lot cheaper.

And with the 500, you can only shoot .500 magnum or .500 special, which both cost the same, at almost three bucks a pop. And the 500 shoots heavier rounds at a shorter range of accuracy. Slightly better for shooting/killing elephants than the 460, but worse at just about anything else.

Ah, good to know. They have both in the same display case at the local gunshop in those emergency kits.

But yeah, cheaper and versatile...

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2007, 01:24:34 AM »

Hey John,

how much would one of those Ruger .22's cost? I really like the shape of it. I don't know much about guns, living in urban Ontario. I've shot a "410" and a bigger shotgun, that belonged to my uncle. It's not easy to get guns around here unless you are a gangster...Ontario is currently planning on banning all hand guns.

If I ever get a gun, it's gonna be one of these Ruger .22s. I think it is german design...no???

Actually, Ruger is an American. Luger was the German one.

The 22/45 (The newest version is the Mark III)
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Rimfire%20Autoloading&famlst=54&variation=Bull%20Barrel

You can get them new for around $350 bucks.

Just be careful of the internal slide. They can pinch the shit out of your hand if you're not careful.  :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:26:23 AM by John Shaw »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2007, 03:08:53 AM »

Thanks fer the info, John. I have one more question. Was the classic Ruger design based on the classic Luger design, or was that design of pistol just a common thing among many companies???

They look slightly similar, but operate in completely different ways. There is no slide on the outside of the Ruger. There is sort of a plug in the back, and all of the moving parts of the slide are inside the gun and pop out of the back during the firing. The Luger had a slide on the outside that was a sheath around the barrel, just like most semiautos you're familiar with, only with a hinged arm that bends in half.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.