Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)  (Read 26710 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/04/2007)
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2007, 03:29:07 AM »

Thanks John. BTW The only "gun" I own is some department store pump rifle bb gun. I'm thinking of getting a hand gun bb gun, cuz they are easy to buy. Getting a proper gun license might happen in the future..I don't know what else to say without cheapening the thread. You made a good thread...keep going. I will continue to check out this thread.

Thanks! Feel free to ask questions about anything and I'll try to help out.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Bill Brasky

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2007, 08:51:45 AM »

Even though they don't pack a whallop, the Ruger 22/45 is a nice gun.  Extremely accurate. 

I was at an outdoor range once, and this old guy at the next bench had one, and big boxes of ammo, accessories, tools, trinkets, you name it.  So, he says "C'mere, boyah, try this'un."  It was the Ruger 22, with a big fat optical luminous red dot scope on it, about as fat as a toilet paper tube, which contained two overlapping dots if I remember correctly.  No clue about the magnification, maybe 5X maybe 10X.  Whatever it was, it worked great. 

The recoil is literally nothing, like getting high-fived by a 5 year old, and it was tricked out, mods on the trigger pull there was almost no resistance to the trigger at all, it would just snap by touching it.  When you would cock it after putting a fresh clip in, it made this "schwing-schwing" noise when you drew back on the slide and released it, the thing was very loose all around, well balanced and expertly kept and maintained. 

So, after a few practice shots which are often hesitant when you've got an unfamiliar weapon in your hands, it became like an extention of my arm, hitting everything I pointed at, I was hitting soda cans at well over a hundred feet away, because of that scope.  Sure, you're still missing every other one, but on the first try, thats still good.  The bench was probably twenty yards away from the target stand, and the mountain behind it had to be thirty feet beyond.  Fuckin thing was cool.  Quite the difference when you're firing a short pistol with open sights at a silouhette and half arent even staying in the center mass. 

They'd make a good varmint gun with hollowpoints in it.  Say what you want about small calibers, you still dont want to get whacked five times with one. 

mrapplecastle

Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/02/2007)
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »

GLOCK move over! Springfield Armory licensed and imports these guns from HS Produkt, formerly I.M. Metal, in Croatia of all places.
They do everything a GLOCK does, just as well, and have more/better stuff on them:

1911 Grip angle
1911 style grip safety
Loaded Chamber indicator
Cock indicator
Ambidextrous mag release
Sig style takedown lever
Sig style sights (Sig sights can be used on them)
Tactical rail
Sights and trigger are made of steel, unlike the GLOCK.
Steel magazines
Springfields are SA, unlike a Glock which is DAO
a SA pistol that doesnt have a exposed hammer is not a good idea IMO
not say that I have ever heard of a springfield accidently going off, but still

oh, I would rather have a springfield in .45 than a glock in .45...the glock in .45 feels like you're holding a 2x4 in your hand

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 08/02/2007)
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2007, 11:49:25 AM »

Springfields are SA, unlike a Glock which is DAO
a SA pistol that doesnt have a exposed hammer is not a good idea IMO
not say that I have ever heard of a springfield accidently going off, but still

oh, I would rather have a springfield in .45 than a glock in .45...the glock in .45 feels like you're holding a 2x4 in your hand

It's a little more complicated than that, when it comes to actual functionality, but yes, they're "Single Action" in the sense that the final cock doesn't happen at the trigger pull. Having said that, the striker block doesn't move out of the way unless your hand is both depressing the grip safety, and your finger is pulling the trigger.

Snippet from Guns and Ammo:

Defining The XD
The XD is correctly classified as a single-action design, meaning it is fully cocked by racking the slide. Most single-action autos have manual safeties, but the XD's Croatian designers eliminated the need for such safeties by adopting the Glock-type trigger safety as well as an internal firing-pin block. They also added a grip safety. The XD is a very safe design, but its single-action designation has confused some.

The XD is a true single-action internally but externally operates more like a double-action-only handgun. There are no manual safeties to disengage beforehand, and the trigger takeup has the feel of a light (very light) double-action pull before reaching a final single-action release. OK, I'll say it. The XD operates like a Glock with a grip safety. As with the Glock, the trigger design does not fit any traditional classification, so Springfield coined its own terminology and dubbed it the USA (Ultra Safety Assurance) trigger safety.

In recent years double-action-only autos have become popular with police, or at least with those who decide what police carry. They combine the firepower of an autoloader with the safety of a double-action trigger pull. The XD may have suffered somewhat due to the fact that some law enforcement agencies have dismissed the single-action auto as too error-prone for large-scale issue. Fortunately, most knowledgeable armorers do understand the excellent safety features built into the XD, so any setbacks in the police market are minimal.

Inside The XD
The XD is a single-action design in that the trigger does not cock the striker. But the XD trigger does perform more than a single function, as do many other modern single-action designs. When the trigger is pressed, the trigger bar moves forward, and a lever in the frame pivots upward, disengaging the striker block. It's important to note that this disengagement occurs during the final stage of the trigger release. The striker-safety lever moves up in unison with the sear release. This means the long takeup of the trigger serves no mechanical function. The long pull does enhance safety, however, and performs much the same as a two-stage military-rifle trigger.

The safety lever on the trigger and the grip safety are simple and effective blocking devices. At rest, the nose of the trigger lever butts against a steel block in the frame, preventing the trigger from being depressed without first pressing the trigger safety. Likewise, the grip safety blocks the sear from moving downward and releasing the striker until the safety is depressed. The grip safety also prevents the slide from being racked.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »

Yeah I know, the glock has all the same safeties, except the grip safety

but I have to have something to try and make myself believe that the glock is superior

mrapplecastle

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »

the taurus 24/7 is a good one too, at around 100$ cheaper than a springfield or glock

bonerjoe

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »

the taurus 24/7 is a good one too, at around 100$ cheaper than a springfield or glock

My dad is obsessed with that gun.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »

Entry #2 for 08/04/2007 - You know it, you love it: The Smith & Wesson Model 460v

What the hell is your finger doing on the trigger?!

Ed

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2007, 03:19:29 PM »

My dad is obsessed with that gun.

I think it's ugly as sin.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »

What the hell is your finger doing on the trigger?!

It's pressed against the side of of the trigger and the ball of it is hanging over the edge. I am not handling it improperly. You are only seeing a third of the tip of my finger. Also, you can plainly see in the image (And when I was taking it, through the camera LCD) that the cylinder is unloaded. Remember that that is an eleven pound pull double action. The weight of the entire gun will not pull that trigger to stage one even. I've tested this. Also, in every photo I take, there is a five gallon bucket of sand about two feet in front of the gun on a table.

If you look carefully at the edge of the trigger above and below my finger, you will see that it's barely overlapping.
<<<Safety first>>>
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 03:33:18 PM by John Shaw »

Brent

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »

Did anyone else watch "Arrested Development," only to have it ripped away just as you got into it?

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2007, 02:42:31 PM »

Did your FOX affiliate go off the air or something?
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

jckeyser

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

Did anyone else watch "Arrested Development," only to have it ripped away just as you got into it?

I just bought the DVDs. It was taken from all of us too soon. G4 was running it in syndication for awhile.

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2007, 02:48:39 PM »

Ah, I see.

Fox cancels all their good shows.  I need to watch the last two episodes of Drive--they were never aired, but are on the show's Myspace page.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

jckeyser

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »

Ah, I see.

Fox cancels all their good shows.  I need to watch the last two episodes of Drive--they were never aired, but are on the show's Myspace page.

Yes I believe it was they who not only canceled Firefly, but aired the shows out of sequence.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  John's Gun O' The Day Thread (Updated 12/01/2007)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 31 queries.