Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"  (Read 1061 times)

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »

I was able recently to get this book from the library.  An excellent read so far, with lots of information validating an "anarchist" theory of social structure.  Ms. Jacobs points out early on that the safest city streets (in her case, in New York City, circa 1958), are not the ones patrolled by policemen--those tend to be the most troublesome (but not necessarily because of the police themselves).  The best streets are the ones which have a variety of businesses (drug stores and bars and restaurants and boutiques) and "mixed-use zoning" (there are residential quarters above the businesses); they are the safest places to live in a city, because of the constant flow of people that cooperate, mostly in and unconscious manner, to maintain social order.  The businessmen, she points out, are the respected members of the neighborhood, and provide services that could not be officially provided by institutional measures, such as leaving your keys with the deli owner for a visiting friend to get into your apartment.  Also, from Ms. Jacobs' observations, children are much safer on "the street" than they are in the carefully planned parks and playgrounds that city planners try to impose on a city; again, this is due to the multitude of eyes in busy, multi-use areas, as well as a sense that one will have allies in potential confrontations, which gives one a sense of ownership and responsibility for those in the area, even strangers that wander through.  She tells a story about a man trying to cajole a crying little girl to go with him; he didn't notice, but within a few minutes he was completely surrounded by the residents and business owners (turned out the girl was the guy's daughter, and was just being a brat).  She contrasts her observations about such neighborhoods with observations about planned projects that involve lots of parks and open space.  She makes a compelling case that the latter neighborhoods are destructive to social progress, being imposed from above by people relying on bad ideas about how city planning should be conducted.  I'm almost finished with part 1 of the book (the social structure of cities), and will relate my thoughts on part 2 (the economic structure of cities) when I've finished.
For God and Free Trade

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »

Neat.

I ready _The Voluntary City_, which goes into the private provisioning of specific services, but this one sounds like a good complementary book to that.

Thanks. Looking forward to part 2.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »

Dark Age Ahead by Jacobs is a great introductory book if anyone is thinking of picking up her work.
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Jane Jacobs' "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.