Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  It has been over one year since we've watched television.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It has been over one year since we've watched television.  (Read 7052 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
It has been over one year since we've watched television.
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »

Apart from watching a single episode of Sanford and Son while we were at Porcfest.

Can't say I miss it. Kinda nice.

I'm not turning into one of those people, mind you. You know, "We don't watch television... *Sniff*"

Feels good man.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Pizzly

• View Profile
Re: It has been over one year since we've watched television.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »

Let alone the why, how? I think I would suffer withdrawal without my Big Bang Theory or Stargate.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »

Let alone the why, how? I think I would suffer withdrawal without my Big Bang Theory or Stargate.

Haha, Big Bang Theory, I love it.

Well, to be honest, I just watch cuz of Penny. :(

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »

Awesome.

After not watching for awhile, doesn't the whole notion of sitting idle and watching the "idiot box" seem foreign to you now?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »

Between stuff I gank off the internet and Netflix, there arent really any "shows" I ever watch regularly. Maybe catch that one show where the two guys go around the countryside and rummage through some old farmers antiques and shit and pick up some pretty cool stuff for next to nothing, but thats about it. Im basically paying 50 bucks a month to watch one show............. pretty dumb on my part.

Its just a weird feeling of missing out on something(who knows what) that I need to get over before telling Comcast to stick their cable up their collective asses. I need to take the leap tho.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:08 PM »

Awesome.

After not watching for awhile, doesn't the whole notion of sitting idle and watching the "idiot box" seem foreign to you now?

*Eyes computer suspiciously*

But seriously, I don't wanna get snobby about it, but yes. I think that watching television at this point would be bizarre. We still watch TV shows, mind you. We just buy the seasons when they come out. Better that way anyhow. Who wants to wait a week to see what happens next?

I bought Mel the second season of Fringe last week and we just finished watching it tonight. It doesn't suck.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »

Its just a weird feeling of missing out on something(who knows what) that I need to get over before telling Comcast to stick their cable up their collective asses. I need to take the leap tho.

Well we have "Minimum basic" cable, and only because it's cheaper to have that and intarwebs than to just pay for interwebs alone for some dumb ass reason.

I used to leave C-SPAN running in the house for background noise, in case some bullshit happened that I'd need to know about, but the idea of hearing the same shit every half hour all day while I'm trying to edit shit is repulsive.   

BonerJoe

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:11:14 AM »

Watching TV became a waste of time for me after most shows became...available by other means.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:09:48 AM »

Watching TV became a waste of time for me after most shows became...available by other means.

BURGLAR :P
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:44:39 AM »

I can get Burn Notice online (legit), the comedies my wife likes are online (also legit) for a period after they're shown, and we still have a huge portion of Trek to get through.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »

Hulu and Netflix.  For $9 a month, you can stream a ton of good shows from Netflix without commercials whenever you want and the ones that aren't available, you can have them send the DVDs right to your mailbox.  The streaming is pretty decent quality.  Better than Hulu.  Hulu has raised their amount of commercials, which was annoying, but it's still WAY less than network TV.

This is why I have good Internet but no TV service whatsoever and I don't miss it.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »

I know I'm odd, but I cannot get over why anyone would PAY to watch TV. I have an antennae and get 7 crisp digital channels that are more than adequate. Before it went digital last year I only got 4 channels. While in transition, I wasn't sure how well digital was going to work for me because I live down in a hole about 35 miles from the source of all the broadcasting.

I figured if I couldn't get anything, the hell with it. My only other option would be a dish (no cable here) and that might not even work because of hills and trees. But I ain't paying, and if over the air (OTA) wouldn't work I simply would have stopped watching TV.

If I was closer to the city I would get at least another half dozen channels, ALL FREE, ALL DIGITAL. Paying to watch TV, especially when loaded with at least as much advertising as OTA, simply doesn't mesh with my thinking. I know tons of people who complain about money, yet it never enters their mind that $50-$75 a month could be saved by getting off cable. And a lot of these people are closer to the city and could easily get a dozen channels all free.

Oh well, to each his own. :(

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »

I know I'm odd, but I cannot get over why anyone would PAY to watch TV.

I don't. I pay for internet and TV comes with. ;-)

BonerJoe

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:36 AM »

You don't pay to watch TV, you're paying for content delivery.

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »

We stopped paying for satellite TV almost 3 years ago and it's been great.  We have had netflix since 1999 (yes, I was one of the first) and I like to rent and copy (OH NO !!!) TV series to watch later.  Our home internet is DSL and office is cable (but we don't have TV at the office either).  I feel like we get so much more done and have a much better time together without that damn TV; and when we travel, I'm amazed at the amount of commercial BS one has to watch along with the programs...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  It has been over one year since we've watched television.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.