Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  It's time for another Jew thread
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: It's time for another Jew thread  (Read 100202 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

Re: It's time for another Jew thread
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/unemployment-israel-s-other-existential-threat-1.284465

The unemployed are concentrated in two communities: ultra-Orthodox and Arabs. Thirty years ago, only 21 percent of ultra-Orthodox said they didn't see themselves as part of the job market. Today that figure stands at 65 percent. Among Arab men, unemployment has risen to 27 percent.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/unemployment-israel-s-other-existential-threat-1.284465

The unemployed are concentrated in two communities: ultra-Orthodox and Arabs. Thirty years ago, only 21 percent of ultra-Orthodox said they didn't see themselves as part of the job market. Today that figure stands at 65 percent. Among Arab men, unemployment has risen to 27 percent.

The culture of nonwork in America and Israel caused by welfare and similar programs is a huge problem in the Haredi community. Many people live just off of substance levels, and don't have any practical educations. If this were to ever stop, they wouldn't be qualified for any actual work.

Changing this is a challenge too. The guys at the top get everyone to block vote their way, so taxes are high, and benefits keep coming. I wrote a letter to a local Rebbe here, and was told to not put my real name on it because I wanted to point out some economic realities their community would be facing. The people around me warned of thuggish behavior on the part of those who would see the letter before it reached the hands of the Rebbe. Its a sick, frustrating situation.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Palestinians+warned+over+statehood/5063145/story.html

The U.S. House of Representatives closed ranks Wednesday to warn the Palestinians that they risk cuts in U.S. aid if they pursue UN recognition of a future state not defined in direct talks with Israel.

A resolution to that effect had 320 co-sponsors out of the often polarized chamber's 435 voting members and was on track to sail to passage late in the day, one week after the U.S. Senate unanimously approved a similar measure.

The bill also urged U.S. President Barack Obama's administration to consider suspending aid to the Palestinian Authority pending a view of a unity deal between president Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah faction and the radical Islamist movement Hamas.

"Any Palestinian unity government must publicly and formally forswear terrorism, accept Israel's right to exist and reaffirm previous agreements made with Israel," it says.

Republican House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and Democratic House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer crafted the measure.

The measure reaffirmed American support for a two-state solution that would see "a democratic, Jewish state of Israel and a viable, democratic Palestinian state, living side-by-side in peace, security and mutual recognition."

But it warned of "serious implications for the United States assistance programs for the Palestinians and the Palestinian Authority" if they seek UN recognition of a future state not crafted in talks with Israel.

Peace talks ground to a halt in September 2010 when Israel failed to renew a partial freeze on settlement construction in the occupied West Bank. Since then, the Palestinians have refused to return to talks.

They are planning to seek recognition of their state within the 1967 lines that preceded the Six-Day War when the UN General Assembly meets in September, despite opposition of Israel and the United States.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »

Sounds fair to me.

blackie

« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »

Sounds fair to me.
I guess. If the US is giving out money, it should have strong conditions attached.

The problem is Israel is treated unfairly. Israel gets an unfair share of US foreign aid. When was the last time the US threatened to cut aid to Israel with a non-binding resolution?

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »

Sounds fair to me.
I guess. If the US is giving out money, it should have strong conditions attached.

The problem is Israel is treated unfairly. Israel gets an unfair share of US foreign aid. When was the last time the US threatened to cut aid to Israel with a non-binding resolution?

Its a bit more complex than the article goes into. Basically, its Israel keeping in line with the Oslo accords, in not doing anything unilaterally, with the Palestinians trying to work unilaterally. The Israelis are then thinking to themselves "Why should we keep to an agreement that they aren't?"

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »

Sounds fair to me.

Its a bit more complex than the article goes into. Basically, its Israel keeping in line with the Oslo accords, in not doing anything unilaterally, with the Palestinians trying to work unilaterally. The Israelis are then thinking to themselves "Why should we keep to an agreement that they aren't?"
And Israel gets treated unfairly because Obama telling them that Jews aren't allowed to build their homes in certain areas of the country because those are supposed to be Muslim Only zones as declared by Hamas, Hizbollah, and the Palestinian Authority.

blackie

« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2011, 04:48:54 PM »

Sounds fair to me.

:lol:

http://www.redress.cc/palestine/jcook20100724

[youtube]eeT_KLuCdug[/youtube]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Accords

In a 2001 video, Netanyahu, reportedly unaware he was being recorded, said: "They asked me before the election if I'd honor [the Oslo accords]... I said I would, but [that] I'm going to interpret the accords in such a way that would allow me to put an end to this galloping forward to the '67 borders. How did we do it? Nobody said what defined military zones were. Defined military zones are security zones; as far as I'm concerned, the entire Jordan Valley is a defined military zone. Go argue."[13][14] Netanyahu then explained how he conditioned his signing of the 1997 Hebron agreement on American consent that there be no withdrawals from "specified military locations," and insisted he be allowed to specify which areas constituted a "military location" - such as the whole of the Jordan Valley. "Why is that important? Because from that moment on I stopped the Oslo Accords," Netanyahu affirmed.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2011, 05:24:53 PM »

The Oslo Accords are Bullshit.  It was the UN basically making Israel fund and arm Islamic terrorists, guess who is now in control of the weapons and facilities the Israelis gave to the "Palestinian Authority Police" as part of the Oslo Accords?  Hamas.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »

The Oslo Accords are Bullshit.  It was the UN basically making Israel fund and arm Islamic terrorists, guess who is now in control of the weapons and facilities the Israelis gave to the "Palestinian Authority Police" as part of the Oslo Accords?  Hamas.

I dunno. The PA hasn't done anything horridly stupid for a long time now. Abbas is better than Arafat ever was. At least he isn't as overtly corrupt.

-Dennis Goddard

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »

I dunno. The PA hasn't done anything horridly stupid for a long time now. Abbas is better than Arafat ever was. At least he isn't as overtly corrupt.
You are correct.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »

Sounds fair to me.

OH what the fuck ever.  Israel is giving automatic weapons to religious zealots so that they will steal land and pay taxes.  Their kind of fucked up goes far beyond any kind of attempt to be fair.  I have no idea how people can pretend otherwise.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2011, 12:30:59 AM »

Sounds fair to me.

OH what the fuck ever.  Israel is giving automatic weapons to religious zealots so that they will steal land and pay taxes.  Their kind of fucked up goes far beyond any kind of attempt to be fair.  I have no idea how people can pretend otherwise.

In a lot of ways, they are keeping with Oslo. They evacuated all settlements from Gaza without any counter-terms. They didn't eradicate Hamas during Operation Cast Lead, even though its the PLO that is the governing voice of the Palestinian people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Accords

About the charges of Israel giving weapons to settlers, or that they tend to be religious, or steal land, I do not know enough to comment. I've never been to Israel.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  It's time for another Jew thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.