Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  It's time for another Jew thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: It's time for another Jew thread  (Read 100185 times)

davann

Re: It's time for another Jew thread
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2010, 12:13:06 AM »

Jews were given Israel in 2849 (its 5770 now) by G-d.

Where is the deed?

In the Torah.
Where is the original Torah?

Copies are not valid unless notarized by G-d.
The written Torah has been kept the same for thousands of years.  Although I've always felt that before it was actually put to parchment (or animal skin as the case may be) that it's likely that it was changed around simply because of the fact that it was entirely orally recorded prior to that point.  You know, like the game of telephone.  But once it was written down I have very little doubt that it has stayed the same ever since.  The people who transcribe Torahs are extremely freaking methodical.  If they screw up one letter they have to start all over again pretty much.

If a transcriber were to screw up even one character on a finished Torah his career in Torah transcription would be completely over.

There is crazy new thing called the printing press. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2010, 12:40:33 AM »

Jews were given Israel in 2849 (its 5770 now) by G-d.

Where is the deed?

In the Torah.
Where is the original Torah?

Copies are not valid unless notarized by G-d.
The written Torah has been kept the same for thousands of years.  Although I've always felt that before it was actually put to parchment (or animal skin as the case may be) that it's likely that it was changed around simply because of the fact that it was entirely orally recorded prior to that point.  You know, like the game of telephone.  But once it was written down I have very little doubt that it has stayed the same ever since.  The people who transcribe Torahs are extremely freaking methodical.  If they screw up one letter they have to start all over again pretty much.

If a transcriber were to screw up even one character on a finished Torah his career in Torah transcription would be completely over.

There is crazy new thing called the printing press. 
Also this thing called thousands of years of people living on earth and writing things down by hand before the invention of the printing press.  I know, can you believe those people were so stupid 3000 years ago?  How could they not have invented the printing press yet?  Fucking morons, right?  Or no, that's you.  :shock:
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10338900.stm

Ultra-Orthodox to protest Israeli school ruling

Thousands of Israeli police have been deployed in Jerusalem ahead of planned protests by ultra-Orthodox Jews who are angry about a school segregation row.

Some 80 Ashkenazi parents face jail for defying a court ruling that forces them to send their daughters to school with Sephardi girls of Middle East origin.

The Ashkenazi parents, who are of European descent, want segregated classrooms because they say Sephardi families are not religious enough.

Two mass rallies are planned for today.

Some 10,000 police officers have been mobilised ahead of the demonstrations by supporters of the parents.

The families come from a strictly observant sect of Hasidic Jews called Slonim, who have Ashkenazi lineage.

According to organisers of the protests, tens of thousands of people will march through the streets of Jerusalem with the 40 couples, who will hand themselves over to the police in compliance with a Supreme Court ruling.

The parents face two weeks in jail for contempt of court.

They have pulled their children out of Beit Yaakov girls' school in the West Bank settlement of Immanuel, and set up lessons elsewhere in the settlement.

Another protest has been planned in Bnei Brak near Tel Aviv.
Religious differences

The Slonim parents say their objections are based on differences in religious observance between the Ashkenazi and Sephardi traditions.

Yakov Litzman, an MP from the ultra-Orthodox Ashkenazi party, United Torah Judaism (UTJ) told army radio there was "not a drop of racism" in the parents' decision.

"There is a set of rules (in the ultra-Orthodox community). We don't want televisions in the home, there are rules of modesty, we are against the internet," Mr Litzman was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

"I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."

The court had given the parents until Wednesday to send their children back to school. They refused.

alaric89

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »

Does anyone know any details about small children born and surviving til liberation on consentration camps during the Holocaust? On 19-6 2010 FTL a older woman said she was married to such a person. Her husband's story sounded fascinating if true.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2010, 11:03:38 AM »

Does anyone know any details about small children born and surviving til liberation on consentration camps during the Holocaust? On 19-6 2010 FTL a older woman said she was married to such a person. Her husband's story sounded fascinating if true.

Concentration camps? Not likely. Maybe she meant a ghetto.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

blackie

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/idf-guarding-hebron-vineyard-of-former-jewish-militant-1.303096

IDF guarding Hebron vineyard of former Jewish militant

By Anshel Pfeffer

Reservists in the Israel Defense Forces have been deployed at night to guard the vineyard of a head of the former Jewish underground in the Hebron area, a reserve officer says. This would violate the IDF's policy against guarding private property.

The former militant, Menachem Livni, was convicted in the 1980s for his role in the attack on an Islamic college in which three Palestinian students were killed. He received a life sentence, but president Chaim Herzog pardoned him after seven years.

A reserve engineering officer who can only be identified as 1st Lt. D. says he was ordered to post two soldiers each night to guard the agricultural plot near the Arab village of Bani Naim, east of Hebron, where Livni's vineyard is located. The lieutenant served with his unit in the Hebron area two months ago.

He said he asked his commanders to reconsider because the plot was not inhabited at night and the owner could hire a private security service. First Lt. D. was told the army was guarding the site and was given Livni's telephone number to help coordinate protection of the plot. The reserve officer said that after three weeks, another reserve unit guarded the site.

There have been many cases in which the army has protected agricultural land to head off friction or violence between Arabs and Jews in the West Bank. But in principle, the army does not provide security for private property.

A spokesman for the IDF said the army operates "according to security needs" and has not provided regular security at Livni's vineyard. A senior officer at Central Command told Haaretz that it was a mistake to station soldiers to guard the site at night and that the practice has been stopped.

For his part, Livni said "the site has been attacked hundreds of times by terrorists, and they have tried to wipe me out there at least seven times. The army doesn't provide protection there at night, but only when people are working there. And there has been no change in the security arrangements recently.

"I know that in the past there were reserve officers with leftist views who objected to protecting the place, but in [my] more than 20 years in the reserves, I guarded communities and agricultural areas in the north, in the south and in the [Jordan] Valley. And it never seemed to me to involve something that was not allowed."

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »

It's entirely possible it's the other way around and they are guarding everyone else from him.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2010, 08:16:57 AM »

Except the vineyard is uninhabited at night.

I don't think I had heard of Menachem Livni before I read this article.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »

Except the vineyard is uninhabited at night.

I don't think I had heard of Menachem Livni before I read this article.
Nor have I.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »

time for kikes kiking kikily on kikes
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

blackie

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2010/11/11/2741699/us-to-store-more-weapons-in-israel

U.S. to store more weapons in Israel

November 11, 2010

(JTA) -- The United States will store an additional $400 million in emergency military equipment in Israel.
The new equipment, which is available to Israel in the event of an emergency, will bring to $1.2 billion by 2012 the amount of American military equipment being stockpiled in Israel.

Congress approved for storage in Israel the new weapons, which will arrive in Israel over the next two years, last month, but the story was first reported this week in the Defense News magazine, by its Israel-based reporter Barbara Opall-Rome.

The equipment includes smart bombs and other precision weaponry, according to reports. 
The equipment can be used by U.S. troops in any part of the world when necessary. Some U.S. stockpiles of weapons were used by Israel during the second Lebanon war.

sandm000

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »

I really thought I was getting into a thread about IDF and bikinis.

I am disappoint.

blackie

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »

I really thought I was getting into a thread about IDF and bikinis.

I am disappoint.
I'm using this as my epic Jew thread.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/the-holocaust-survivor-whose-life-is-in-danger-again-2134223.html
The Holocaust survivor whose life is in danger again

In the Israeli city of Safed, an 89-year-old man has been accused of treachery for welcoming Arab students. Catrina Stewart reports

Monday, 15 November 2010SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE
QUIQUE KIERSZENBAUM
Eli Tzavieli has been harassed for renting part of his house in Safed to Arabs

ENLARGE
First they threatened to burn his house down. Then they pinned leaflets to his front door, denouncing him as a Jewish traitor. But Eli Tzavieli, an 89-year-old Holocaust survivor, is defiant. His only "crime" is to rent out his rooms to three Arab students attending the college in Safed, a religious city in northern Israel that was until recently more famous for Jewish mysticism and Madonna.

A campaign waged by Shmuel Eliyahu, the town's radical head rabbi, culminating in a ruling barring residents from renting rooms to Israeli Arabs, means that Safed is fast emerging as a byword for racism.

"I'm not looking for trouble, but if there is a problem, I'll confront it," says Mr Tzavieli, a Jew who survived Nazi forced labour camps and whose parents perished in Auschwitz. "These [tenants] are great kids. And I'm doing my best to make them comfortable."

Related articles
Israelis weigh up US incentive plan to re-start peace talks
Search the news archive for more stories
At an emergency meeting last month, Mr Eliyahu, the son of a former chief rabbi of Israel, was joined by 17 other religious leaders in warning that the city's 40,000 Jewish residents were threatened with an "Arab takeover."

The declaration appeared to trigger a campaign of harassment against Mr Tsavieli to pressure him into throwing the students out. When the pensioner paid little heed to his aggressors, he received an anonymous threat to set fire to his house and a vicious poster campaign accused him of "returning the Arabs to Safed."

Mr Eliyahu, who once advocated the mass slaughter of Palestinians civilians in Gaza to stop the firing of Qassam rockets, declined to be interviewed for this story.

Sprawled over a hilltop in the Upper Galilee, Safed is one of Israel's most picturesque towns, enjoying commanding views over the north of the country. A leading centre for Kabbalah, or Jewish mysticism, it is one of Judaism's four holiest towns, and every year draws a diverse celebrity crowd.

In 1948, Safed was a mixed Jewish and Arab Palestinian community, with some 10,000 Palestinians living in the town. As Jewish forces battled for control, the Palestinians fled, including a 13-year-old Mahmoud Abbas, who would later become the Palestinian President.

After Israel's founding, some Palestinians accepted Israeli citizenship and remained in Israel, and now number 1.5 million, a fifth of the country's population.

These days, Safed is home to a large community of ultra-orthodox Jews, who are deeply conservative and observe a strict code of behaviour, including no driving or smoking in public on Shabbat, the Jewish Sabbath.

As Mr Tsavieli poses for a photograph outside the entrance to his home in Safed's Old City, a Jewish labourer shouts at him: "I'm warning you, it won't do you any good to attract attention like this."

The pensioner continues to smile, but it's clear that he's a little rattled. Sitting in his leafy courtyard, he talks about his extensive voluntary and social work, including time as a probation officer ("The moment you have a problem, Eli, you just let us know," a former inmate told him after hearing of the threats), and says that he's only trying to do "a good thing."

As he talks, Nimran Grefat, one of his Arab tenants, dashes in to pick up some books for his next class, stopping briefly to chat. "He's a good man, he's like a father to us," Mr Grefat, 19, says later of his landlord. "He told us: 'If someone hurts you, he hurts me.'"

Tension in the city ratcheted up a notch last month after a violent clash between a Jewish mob and Arab students. Thirty or so Jewish youths converged on a building rented to Arab students, throwing bottles and chanting "stinky Muslims" and "death to Arabs." The students retaliated by throwing stones, prompting an Israeli policeman to loose off rounds from his rifle. He was later charged along with a friend for firing live rounds.

Mr Grefat says that he is afraid, and even considered dropping his studies or moving into dorms. Encouraged by Mr Tsavieli to stick it out, he takes basic safety precautions, such as not returning home alone late at night. "I didn't come here to live," he says. "I'm not going to build a family here. I just came for three years to study, after which I'll go back to my village."

The tensions that many hoped were confined to Safed are spreading to other towns, too. The deputy mayor of Carmiel, a mere 30 kilometres from Safed, was recently sacked for anti-Arab statements and for employing a militia to prevent Arabs from entering the city.

Many civil rights defenders have warned that the events in Israel's north are not an isolated phenomenon, but rather a symptom of the growing racism and anti-Arab sentiment sparked by a political shift to the right in recent years.

"The government should be mitigating these tensions, but instead it is escalating them with new laws and a vacuum of decisions," said Ali Haider, a director at Sikkuy, an Israeli organisation committed to civic equality.

Several bills currently making their way through the Knesset have been slammed by liberal commentators as racist or anti-Arab, including a loyalty bill requiring new citizens to swear allegiance to a "Jewish and democratic" Israel. Moreover, small Jewish communities are lobbying to determine just who can and cannot move into their communities, a demand widely interpreted as a move to keep Arabs out.

Israel's firebrand Foreign Minister, Avigdor Lieberman, has even proposed a population transfer in the event of a peace agreement that would see Israel's Arab citizens placed under Palestinian sovereignty.

These proposals have drawn a barrage of criticism from the left of the political spectrum, but observers say such ideas are moving into the mainstream, as evidenced by robust support for Mr Lieberman and his ultra-nationalist party, Yisrael Beitenu, Israel's third-largest party. Several Israeli commentators have sounded a note of alarm at exclusionary moves, warning that the prevailing trends in Israel are beginning to resemble Nazi-era policies.

"In other countries, in other eras, the selling and renting of homes to Jews was forbidden, and those who violated the ban were penalised harshly. We all remember where it ended up," wrote Ziv Lenchner in an op-ed on Israeli news site Ynet. "Well, do we really remember?"

But that argument cuts little ice in Safed, where many residents feel the 1,350 Arabs studying at the nearby college are an unsettling influence that threatens Safed's religious and Jewish character, not least because of fears of intermarriage.

"I see the Arabs here wearing gold chains, and it looks like Syria," says a young woman, who wears a modest headscarf to cover her hair. "This is an orthodox city, and [that] is impure."

A new medical school is to open in the area early next year, prompting concerns among Jews that it will bring even more Arabs to the town.

Moshe, 35, a music store manager, insists the issue is not one of racism, but that encouraging a large influx of Arabs into the city demonstrates a "blatant disregard" for the existing Jewish community. "Our experience of Arabs over the last 10 years is terror," he said. "Now they're saying, 'Let us be neighbours.' You don't force peace on people."

blackie

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »

US offers Israel over 33 million dollars a day to pause new settlement construction for 90 days.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/15/1927524/israelis-debate-swapping-settlements.html

Israelis debate swapping settlements freeze for U.S. jets

BY SHEERA FRENKEL

MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS

JERUSALEM -- Israeli defense officials urged the government Monday to accept a new U.S.-drafted deal to freeze Jewish settlement building temporarily in exchange for a $3 billion military package, including a U.S. gift of 20 F-35 stealth fighter jets.

But leading ministers in the Israeli Cabinet poured cold water on the proposal, and if it passes next Sunday, it will be with a razor-thin majority.

President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have praised the Israeli government for accepting the compromise, though Israel has yet to issue an official response to the deal.

"This is a very promising development and a serious effort by Israeli Prime Minister (Benjamin) Netanyahu," Clinton said Monday. "We are going to continue to do everything we possibly can to get the parties to begin the kind of serious, end-game negotiations that are necessary."

Defense Minister Ehud Barak said the money for the 20 stealth fighters "will come from the American administration, not from us."

Israel already receives $3 billion in annual aid from the United States, much of which is spent on military equipment. Israel already had ordered 20 of the jets, which are capable of traveling long distances undetected by radar. Israeli news media suggested that the jets could be used on a stealth mission, such as an attack on Iran's alleged nuclear weapons.

The deal also requires the United States to support Israel's position at the United Nations, and, according to Israeli news reports, to block recognition of any unilateral Palestinian move to declare independence.
In exchange, Israel would halt construction of Jewish settlements for 90 days, excluding East Jerusalem, enabling it to continue to build in a place that Palestinians hope will be the capital of a new Palestinian state.

Three former army chiefs of staff endorsed the U.S. proposal as an imperative step with military advantages that Israel couldn't afford to reject.

However, members of Netanyahu's Likud Party joined other coalition members from the right-wing Shas and Israeli Beitenu parties to assault the deal. Some of the parties in Netanyahu's right-wing coalition vowed to fight any deal that would limit settlement construction.

Vice Prime Minister Moshe Yaalon rejected the deal as a "honey trap," while other lawmakers said they would work to dismantle the government if the proposal were approved.

White House officials have struggled for months to reach a compromise that would push peace talks forward.
Palestinian leaders have refused to take part in the U.S.-sponsored talks unless Israel freezes all construction for Jewish settlers in the West Bank, on land the Palestinians said was earmarked for their future state.

Israeli officials have said that previous freezes did little to advance the talks and have accused the Palestinians of setting preconditions.

Palestinians have said that they haven't yet seen the deal, and that they'll issue a response once an official proposal is in their hands. Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat expressed alarm, however, that the proposal didn't include construction in East Jerusalem.

Erekat also questioned whether the deal would allow ongoing construction to continue. Since Israel's last settlement freeze expired Sept. 26, it has begun building at least 800 housing units, according to the anti-settlement organization Peace Now.

"We have a lot of questions over how serious this proposal is, and what will happen after the 90 days end. We need to see a real change in Israeli settlement policy, not a quick fix," said a Palestinian Authority official in Ramallah, West Bank, speaking only on the condition of anonymity because the Palestinian government wasn't yet officially considering the proposal.

"The Palestinian people have tired of the peace talks that go nowhere. We have prepared other options, like with the U.N., that we can now pursue," he added.

Palestinian officials have said they'd take their case to the U.N. if peace talks failed, and could ask the U.N. to approve independent Palestinian statehood irrespective of the Israeli position.

Netanyahu must take the deal to his Cabinet for approval, which he's expected to win by a majority of one vote.
(Frenkel is a McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent.)

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/15/1927524/israelis-debate-swapping-settlements.html#ixzz15SRa3yhX

Riddler

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2010, 04:15:19 PM »

goddamned jews with their fucking hands in our pockets

FOR WHAT????
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  It's time for another Jew thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.