Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Is it paleo?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it paleo?  (Read 2195 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Is it paleo?
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »

SeanD

• View Profile
Re: Is it paleo?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »

The butter has to eat grass?

Ok on the serious side - there really is a difference between grass fed butter and non?

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »

"Did it have a face? No. Would it have one if you didn't pull it from a nest?"

haha. Makes it sound so cruel. You'd think we wouldn't eat things with faces.
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »

I heard one of those really snooty vegetarians say his policy was no eyes. I pointed at some meat and said "I'm pretty sure they cut the heads off. It doesn't have any eyes."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:52:05 PM »

Ok on the serious side - there really is a difference between grass fed butter and non?

The difference between Omega-6 fatty acids and Omega-3 fatty acids.

If they eat the grain, and you eat the fat, you're getting some of the bad stuff from the grain because a bunch of Omega-6 is pretty much a good portion of the problem you get from eating grain in the first place I guess. Omega-3 = Good, Omega-6 = inflammation of your insides and all sorts of problems. Plus glutens and a bunch of other factors obviously.

But it's not as horrible as some paleo people will tell you. Buy very lean meat and substitute your own healthy oils and you're pretty much fine.  

From wikipedia -

Modern Western diets typically have ratios of n−6 to n−3 in excess of 10 to 1, some as high as 30 to 1. The optimal ratio is thought to be 4 to 1 or lower.[6][7]

Excess n−6 fats interfere with the health benefits of n−3 fats, in part because they compete for the same rate-limiting enzymes. A high proportion of n−6 to n−3 fat in the diet shifts the physiological state in the tissues toward the pathogenesis of many diseases: prothrombotic, proinflammatory and proconstrictive.[8]

Chronic excessive production of n−6 eicosanoids is associated with heart attacks, thrombotic stroke, arrhythmia, arthritis, osteoporosis, inflammation, mood disorders, obesity, and cancer.[9] Many of the medications used to treat and manage these conditions work by blocking the effects of the potent n−6 fat, arachidonic acid.[

So you wanna control your proportions of omega-3 to omega-6. Lots of Omega-3, as little Omega-6 and you can manage.

That is one thing I can attest to from experience, FWIW. My legs used to be swollen all the friggin' time before the paleo thing. After about a week on paleo the swelling and water retention went away and hasn't come back. That would have been since the end of October last year.

I've been dealing with a bunch of shitty side effects of paleo, but the thing works overall. My BP wasn't bad at all before, at 120/90 (A little high but great for a 440lb dude and not even close to borderline.) It's dropped since paleo.

The main beef I've had is -

1. "Ketosis Flu" (A bunch of symptoms caused by high ketone counts)
2. Lethargy
3. Shitty temper and moodiness.
4. Lots of sleep issues.

The more I study up, the more it seems that I may just be fucked in regards to these symptoms (Until I lose more weight) because it's probably caused by the huge amount of fat being burned. (Again, I started at 440lbs) Burning through 200lbs of fat makes for a shitpile of blood toxins and I may just have to suck it up and be miserable for a while basically.

I'm officially at 401.6 this week (Ish because one morning I was at 399 but I won't call it officially official until a week goes by where I'm under 400.)

So it's been about 40lbs from the end of October to now. At this rate, if it isn't a curve or whatever, I might be well down into the 200's within the year, and that suits me just fine. My "realistic" goal is 250, but deep down I'd love to get down to 185, which is what I weighed from High School to the age of 24 or so.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:07:01 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:48 PM »

As a "flow chart" it has problems.

Notice "is it a fruit or a vegetable" has a "yes" answer, which splits into "is it corn?" and "is it a potato?"  Oops, no decision to choose, and worse, if it's not a potato, it's a paleo.  AND if it's not corn, it's paleo.  Other problems exist.  Funny?  Sorta.

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:49 AM »

It sounds like a great way to eat. Especially since avocados are okay. I went to the doctor this year to have her bitch at me to lose weight (I'm 5'7" and 140, what the hell) and get my blood glucose and cholesterol down. I might have to give this a crack.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Is it paleo?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 31 queries.