Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Is "The Road" playing in your area?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is "The Road" playing in your area?  (Read 5401 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Is "The Road" playing in your area?
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »

Read the book and it was really good.. release date was Nov. 25, but when the day rolled around only 31 cities had it showing. The local artsy cinema had it listed but they were notified that the plans had changed and the film wasn't heading their way afterall.

I searched for torrents too but found nothin'.. not even sure which torrent software to use.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

RottingNation

• View Profile
Re: Is "The Road" playing in your area?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »

It's playing around here. I didn't realize it was so limited.
--------------------------------------------------------
"I am not a number, I am a free man."

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »

I and several friends have been very excited about this movie.  What's with the limited release?  I call shenanigans.
Guess I will have to wait for DVD... I do live in the bible belt, if that has anything to do with it...

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »

-1 for starting a movie thread w/o the mandatory links:  Wikipedia, Site, IMDb.

Nothing on BitTorrent but fakes so far...

[youtube=425,350]camI8yuoy8U[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:33:51 PM by Alex Libman »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »

Read the book and it was really good.. release date was Nov. 25, but when the day rolled around only 31 cities had it showing. The local artsy cinema had it listed but they were notified that the plans had changed and the film wasn't heading their way afterall.

I searched for torrents too but found nothin'.. not even sure which torrent software to use.

You won't find a good pirate until it's released on DVD.  Everything you'll find now will be filmed from the audience in HD - which might be much less likely if its not a big release.  I've never tried watching one of those, but I can't imagine them being any good.  Occasionally a promo copy is leaked in advance of the DVD release - which is fine, but again, limited screens means limited promotion.  

For torrents, I like Azureus Vuze.  Other people will have different prefs.  I like Vuze because its not usually blocked by other users, some torrent progs are hated within the community for various geek reasons, so the uploaders block their software from participating.  It also has a dork mode, which is configured to run properly without knowing what you're doing - which is extremely helpful for noobs.  Theres a lot of fucked up little tweaks in P2P that can render your involvement impossible or verrry slow.  

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:45:34 AM »

I think utorrent is the best torrent software.  Under a megabyte and has more utility than any other software i've found while simultaneously being set up out of the box with most of the settings perfect for the average user. 

I've been searching torrentz.com because it's usually very good at tracking all of the tracker sites for new reliable updates.  So far no luck.  I really want to see it, I've only seen the trailer and had never heard of it before.  Now I need to read the book too!
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »

I wanted to see some commentary on uTorrent, so I found a review on CNET.  No haters, written up nice.  But what jumped out at me was, people are still using Limewire - by a large margin.  lolwut? 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »

LimeWire is easy to use, actively developed, easy to use, supports multiple networks, easy to use, and, best of all, it uses my beloved libtorrent (which I love because it brings BT functionality to my future copyleft-free "AnCapOS" project).  Oh, and it's also very easy to use, so the Windows noobs (who never heard of Miro) love it.

Also, different download'n'review sites attract different levels of user experience, and there may be other reasons why people may download a particular piece of Windows software from a particular site - LimeWire might have bought ads on CNET or linked there in the past.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:58:05 AM by Alex Libman »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »

Thanks for puttin' the info up Libman.

The only complaint about the book is that I was done with it too soon!

...Azureus or utorrent eh?

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »

There's really only one rational reason to use Azureus (or any other Java bloatware): you have 8+ gigs of RAM and you want to get your money's worth.  :lol:

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »

Vuze is pretty slick these days.  Its size is only 'cause its a "media center" with a player and a bunch of front-page crap like YouTube channels, which I never use anyway.  Using it just for torrents, I don't even know its running. 

But then again, I'm partial to it because I've been using it for so long, I know what all the controls do (or, more accurately, which ones matter).  If I had to start out nooby, I donno which I'd use.  I guess I'd go with Joel's suggestion because he's smarter at the wiz-kid stuff than I.  If its lighter, its probably more efficient, theres no arguing that. 

I think with modern comps, its all about user interface.  After all, these things are well designed by professional geeks.  Its not like any of 'em are outrageously flawed.  All they do is assemble torrents.  You don't actually have to know how BT works, you just have to know how to operate your client.  Don't expect something to download if theres no seeds, that sort of thing. 

Size and RAM of these things have been bragging rights between the competitors for years.  Then people turn around and keep a FPS game running, minimized for a week.  Or like me, a trading platform, which has constant data streaming through it, and is encrypted, and a megaton of GUI shit slapped all over it. 

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »

utorrent kicks everything elses ass.  I wish the developers of utorrent would develop other software, it is so small and fast and not bloated, unlike 95% of software out there.  Pirate Bay and isohunt are my fave torrent searches, but I think I have used torrentz.com also.  I will just wait for bittorrent release of The Road.  By the way, I just discovered hulu is pretty cool and its ads are usually only 15-30 seconds which gives you time to go pee or something.  It's great that it is free, although it is bullshit about what content is allowed and how shows are only available for a few weeks and then they disappear. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »

I'm stuck using Vuze (the classic Azureus 2.x interface), because every other Linux BT client (including μTorrent on Wine) sucks baboon ass.  :x

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 06:51:08 PM »

Saw it last night. Great movie, but I can't say it's "enjoyable".

Covered almost everything from the book, and added more background scenes of the father/mother relationship before the big "event" (whatever caused the disaster isn't named but it's either nukes or asteroid).

I cried like a bunny at the end.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

Saw it last night. Great movie, but I can't say it's "enjoyable".

Covered almost everything from the book, and added more background scenes of the father/mother relationship before the big "event" (whatever caused the disaster isn't named but it's either nukes or asteroid).

I cried like a bunny at the end.

It is now playing in my town. I was going to watch it, but ended up seeing Avatar instead. Like you said, I don't imagine it being a feel good movie, and I didn't want to take my pregnant wife to see it. She is quite the bag of emotions right now.  :?

I hope it is still playing next week.
Pocho
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Is "The Road" playing in your area?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.