Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  In Beijing for Antique Car Rally (I'm driving-watchout)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Beijing for Antique Car Rally (I'm driving-watchout)  (Read 5945 times)

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
Re: In Beijing for Antique Car Rally (I'm driving-watchout)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 05:37:46 AM »

I'm back in Beijing and within 24 hours we'll be on the plane for home.  I looking back on the last 10 days and it's been such a blur that I'm never going to be able to put it all in chronological order (the dates on the videos and photos we took will help).  As I think of things, I'll try to add them here.  I'll say one thing that I've harped on in the past regarding Stop Signs.  They are pointless.  The 1100 miles I drove had ZERO stop signs.  I've only seen a few signs in a development in Guangzhou (a few years back) and even there I never saw anyone actually stop at one.  I was able to drive in ways that would have gotten me arrested for sure back home.  Passing on the shoulder, going through intersections on red, and just generally driving like a brute is the norm here.  It's never taken as an aggressive act here to honk at someone and cut them off.  It's the norm and it's expected.  Some will say that this is dangerous (and it certainly is to an extent) however the question should be is it more dangerous than our way of driving.  I have my doubts.  In many years of coming here, I've never seen a serious accident resulting in death (of course they happen too often).  Can't say that I've seen such a serious accident at home either so how does one determine what "system" is more dangerous?  One thing that makes driving safer here is the fact that you don't need to be constantly on the watch for "the man" in his cruiser hanging around the corner trying to trick you into a ticket.  I had absolute no fear of the cops and indeed took the opportunity a couple of times to cut in front of them just because I knew there would be no offense taken and no consequence to my actions.  I guess now I will have to re-adjust my driving to US standards or I will be getting even more tickets and paying more extortion money to the gang of thugs...

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
Re: In Beijing for Antique Car Rally (I'm driving-watchout)
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »

China Classic Car Images can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/essYv#0
I'm going to email this imgur account to several of the other participants and they will add their pictures when they get to it so this will change in time. 
Enjoy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  In Beijing for Antique Car Rally (I'm driving-watchout)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.