Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  In A State of Anarchy: An Analysis of Privatized Defense in an AnarchoCapitalism
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In A State of Anarchy: An Analysis of Privatized Defense in an AnarchoCapitalism  (Read 2911 times)

TheRothbardian

Hey guys, I wrote a paper a few months back that I presented at the Austrian Students Scholars Conference 2005 in Pennsylvania. I would like to know what you guys think. I know Ian has been speaking very highly about Anarcho-capitalism thus I wanted to share my analysis. Let me know what you guys think. I am also the cofounder, along with Neal Conner, of the Libertarian Activist Network here at the University of Florida in an effort to rally the libertarian student populace. Here is the link:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=19786682&blogID=47799023

Here is a paper I also did on Ernesto Guevara that appeared in my High School newspaper that turned a lot of commies even redder than they naturally are:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=19786682&blogID=33096143

Sincerely,
Alexander Villacampa
Vice-President of the Libertarian Activist Network University of Florida
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:16:29 PM by TheRothbardian »

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org

Both are good.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

TheRothbardian

Thank you

vanguardist

Good stuff. Reminds me of this one: http://www.lewrockwell.com/long/long11.html

Btw, I'm planning to go to the Austrian Scholar's Conference at the Mises Institute  8)

Should be lots of fun

Proletarian

• I am the opiate of the masses!
  • Thought Criminal
    • View Profile

There are grammar errors here and there, but otherwise a solid essay.

The only contradiction I found in the essay was calling aggressive companies "defense" agencies. At the point of aggression and/or attack, it would seem to me that they cease to be a "defensive" entity and simply just a paid aggressor. Defense implies impeding and/or neutralizing an attacker; defense does not imply aggression against someone else. If a company was attacking people, it wouldn't be in the business of defense. I thought I'd just mention that bit.

I think a great example of private defense would be body guards. Why would a body guard initiate force against somebody else, especially someone who is non-violent and unthreatening? Why would a body guard stab you in the back? You pay a body guard to protect you; your well-being is their well-being.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

"If there is hope, it lies in the proles."

vanguardist

I guess the idea there is that force (not "aggression") between agencies would be used as a last resort when trying to defend people or recover property, though I think they would rather settle by court or awarding money damages, since an actual battle would be expensive.

TheRothbardian

Proleterian- it comes under the definition of defense. A defense agency is there to defend you from acts against you and your property and to recover your property if it is ever damaged or stolen. I see nothing wrong with the use of the label "defense agency."

Vanguadist- Awesome! So am I! Are you presenting a paper? I am presenting "On The History of Anarchist Thought."

vanguardist

Heh, no, I wish  :P

Just an observer. You can email me and maybe we can get together and talk about anarchy :) This will be my first time at Auburn. Looks great.

Proletarian

• I am the opiate of the masses!
  • Thought Criminal
    • View Profile

Proleterian- it comes under the definition of defense. A defense agency is there to defend you from acts against you and your property and to recover your property if it is ever damaged or stolen. I see nothing wrong with the use of the label "defense agency."

That's a good point. I meant, they wouldn't be a defense agency in the event that they are arbitrarily attacking peaceful neighbors to acquire property. But I see what you're saying.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

"If there is hope, it lies in the proles."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  In A State of Anarchy: An Analysis of Privatized Defense in an AnarchoCapitalism

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.