Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  NOTICE - If you want the BBS to have more traffic, here's a handy guide -
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTICE - If you want the BBS to have more traffic, here's a handy guide -  (Read 5893 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions

It's hard to always remember these tips, so I'm writing them down for my use and yours. I have violated all of them on occassion, and so have you, but let's try to remember 'em anyhow.

1. Post interesting new topics.

2. Don't shit on threads.

3. Stay somewhat on topic.

4. Come up with new ideas rather than complain about other people's bad ideas.

5. Get real. Let the shield slip a bit. The hottest area of the BBS apart from General has been Serious Business, because people can be honest and open without being attacked, and most people actually DO care about each other.

6. Posts that are nothing but a news article usually end up making for lame threads. Everyone makes 'em, including me, but today's news is tomorrow's old news. Talk about the core of an issue and cite an article, but don't just post a link and expect a bunch of people to say much beyond "Well that sucks" or "Those fucking assholes!"

7. Stop fucking fighting and attacking other users and mods. The flame wars have *Got* to fucking stop or people stay away. You have a beef, send a PM and talk it out directly or if you can't be bothered walk away from it. I know this one is fucking hard.

8. Try to be aware of the "Narcissism of small differences". Almost everyone who comes here (Apart from trolls and political noobs) is interested in getting government out of their lives to one degree or another. Sure, "More" is better, but "Some" is still pretty good. Yes, I don't see the point of voting or giving money to politicians, but no, I shouldn't bash other people who do. Same for you.

9. Make threads that ask questions. Those ones seem to do well. Curiosity creates conversation. I've seen weird and goofy threads lead to great conversations, and I've seen very serious threads devolve into boring shitstorms. If the mood is light, people open up.

10. Accept that the site is moderated now and quit bitching about it. Go to /b/ if you want random insanity with random people who you'll never know or care about and with zero accountability.

11. Stop complaining about me, John Shaw, personally. When I am left alone I participate, and frankly, and I say this with no egotism intended, I start many of the threads that people want to converse in. It's not because I'm a mod and that makes me some sort of fucking leader or some bullshit. I had just as big an effect before I was a mod and long timers here will attest to that. Apply this rule to any other user who adds more than they take. Don't bite the hand that feeds you and you'll get fat. If you haven't noticed, every time someone starts shit with me nowadays I'll engage for a little bit and then leave for several days. There is a reason for this. You don't get what small or large benefit I bring to the table if you treat me badly. The same goes for other people as well, but maybe they don't have the temerity to say it out loud. I notice Joy and Dale and a bunch of the cooler people posting more when shit isn't flying everywhere.

12. Stop bitching about the lack of volume and speak up about shit. Stop fucking cursing the darkness and light a goddamned candle already.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile

Thank you for saying this.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile

I'll add one -

When someone has walked away from an issue, the other party involved should drop it.

There have been several occasions where I'm the one who walks away only to return and find my name brought up in an effort to stir up more drama.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions

I have violated all of them on occasion, and so have you, but let's try to remember 'em anyhow.

That thing you just did, Hellbilly? Stop it. Seriously. You can't take a shot while making a post about how people shouldn't be taking shots.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:20:17 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile

.... the drama just doesn't stop eh?

I referred to no one by name and didn't even have you in mind when I typed that.

No shot was taken.

You and a few others here are absolutely fucking determined to be offended by something. I don't know if if's paranoia or drama overload but ease up.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security

.... the drama just doesn't stop eh?

I referred to no one by name and didn't even have you in mind when I typed that.

No shot was taken.

You and a few others here are absolutely fucking determined to be offended by something. I don't know if if's paranoia or drama overload but ease up.

You sayin I'm paranoid? Huh? HUH? Just because I fill my vaporizer with chemtrails and eat fake lunar dust for breakfast.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile

STOP POKIN THA BARE!!

speaking of lunar dust though, did you see the metal ball that fell from the sky in the news last week?

Propellant tank. Not something from an alien space colony.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick

HUH??

Awwwwww!!
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day

For a long time, I visited this BBS several times a day. I pretty much abandoned it when the place degenerated into just a playground for trolls.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile

HUH??

Awwwwww!!

Hated to break it to ya. Felt like a moment from Ol Yeller.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: NOTICE - If you want the BBS to have more traffic, here's a handy guide -
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »

HUH??

Awwwwww!!

Hated to break it to ya. Felt like a moment from Ol Yeller.

I just wish you would have let me go on believing.  :(
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

JDW

• A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »

For a long time, I visited this BBS several times a day. I pretty much abandoned it when the place degenerated into just a playground for trolls.

Might I suggest we buy some goats, goats kick trolls butts.
"Don't know what you got till it's gone."
- Cinderella

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »

Did you mean this:

vs. this?

Uh yeah. Otherwise I don't get it.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

Once upon a time there were three billy goats, who were to go up to the hillside to make themselves fat, and the name of all three was "Gruff."

On the way up was a bridge over a cascading stream they had to cross; and under the bridge lived a great ugly troll , with eyes as big as saucers, and a nose as long as a poker.

So first of all came the youngest Billy Goat Gruff to cross the bridge.

"Trip, trap, trip, trap! " went the bridge.

"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the troll .

"Oh, it is only I, the tiniest Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, with such a small voice.

"Now, I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.

"Oh, no! pray don't take me. I'm too little, that I am," said the billy goat. "Wait a bit till the second Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Well, be off with you," said the troll.

A little while after came the second Billy Goat Gruff to cross the bridge.

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap, went the bridge.

"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the troll.

"Oh, it's the second Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, who hadn't such a small voice.

"Now I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.

"Oh, no! Don't take me. Wait a little till the big Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Very well! Be off with you," said the troll.

But just then up came the big Billy Goat Gruff .

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap! went the bridge, for the billy goat was so heavy that the bridge creaked and groaned under him.

"Who's that tramping over my bridge?" roared the troll.

"It's I! The big Billy Goat Gruff ," said the billy goat, who had an ugly hoarse voice of his own.

"Now I 'm coming to gobble you up," roared the troll.

Well, come along! I've got two spears,
And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;
I've got besides two curling-stones,
And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones.

That was what the big billy goat said. And then he flew at the troll, and poked his eyes out with his horns, and crushed him to bits, body and bones, and tossed him out into the cascade, and after that he went up to the hillside. There the billy goats got so fat they were scarcely able to walk home again. And if the fat hasn't fallen off them, why, they're still fat; and so,

Snip, snap, snout.
This tale's told out.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

Oh.  :?
Feeling a little ignorant right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  NOTICE - If you want the BBS to have more traffic, here's a handy guide -

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.