Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  If you had to grow your own food...

Poll

If you had to grow 100% of your food and process / cook it yourself, alone, what would be your primary sources of carbohydrates?

Maize
- 8 (6.1%)
Rice
- 9 (6.8%)
Wheat
- 9 (6.8%)
Barley
- 3 (2.3%)
Sorghum
- 0 (0%)
Millets
- 0 (0%)
Oats
- 0 (0%)
Rye
- 2 (1.5%)
Triticale
- 0 (0%)
Buckwheat
- 2 (1.5%)
Potatos
- 34 (25.8%)
Cabbage
- 6 (4.5%)
Apples
- 11 (8.3%)
Beans
- 20 (15.2%)
Carrots
- 4 (3%)
Peas
- 2 (1.5%)
Other legume
- 2 (1.5%)
Other fruit
- 9 (6.8%)
Other cerial
- 1 (0.8%)
Other root vegetable
- 2 (1.5%)
Other leafy vegetable
- 5 (3.8%)
Added late: squash
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had to grow your own food...  (Read 35774 times)

BonerJoe

Re: If you had to grow your own food...
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »

I don't want my ball sweat leeching into my taters.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »

I don't want my ball sweat leeching into my taters.

Uncle Salty.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »

Drifter why are you such a twat.  You are the one who misidentified a wetland easement as a constructed wetland.  They are two entirely different things.  A constructed wetland is simply another approach to sewage treatment or storm water treatment.  A sewage pipe running through a wetland easement that isn't a constructed wetland.  

I am talking about a non-government waste treatment system which actually has a cleaner effluent than the traditional septic tank system and arguably a cleaner effluent than municipal sewage treatment.  I contend that a constructed wetland is better for self sufficiency and I get it you disagree.  I doubt you have read anything in detail about constructed wetlands and are basing your opinions on how you assume it works.  You are not alone in this misunderstanding.  It is a significant problem in obtaining permits and getting around zoning restrictions.

Old septic tank breeches have allowed for raw sewage to seep into ground water.  And these breeches are often sighted as a reason for expanding government sewage treatment.  Often these advocates are unaware that cracks in sewage pipes allow for raw sewage to seep into ground water or when pumping stations are overwhelmed by storm water influx  but that is another long discussion.  There are increased maintenance issues with septic tanks such as sludge removal.  Trust me this isn't a fun process and will be even more horrible and toxic if there is no sludge pumping equipment available.  Maintenance of Anaerobic bacteria due to die off.  Many of the maintenance issues with septic systems are virtually eliminated with constructed wetlands.  

Personally, I chose to buy a home that was part of a municipal system mostly because I did not want to deal with a septic tank.   Now, if I was seriously contemplating a self-sufficient agricultural project and building it from scratch, I would invest in a gravity fed constructed wetland.

Overview of benefits http://www.flemingc.on.ca/CAWT/index.cfm?page=benefits

If you are starting from scratch the costs are nearly the same to set up.  The difference shows up in the maintenance cost over the life of the system.  The other huge benefit is that this type of system makes it possible to build on land which is not suitable for a traditional system.  And that land tends to be far less expensive than land which perks and can handle a traditional septic system.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:24:35 PM by libertylover »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »

BonerJoe

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

Apples are delicious.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »

Apples are delicious.

Especially organic ones grown with ball sweat?
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

BonerJoe

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »

Apples are delicious.

Especially organic ones grown with ball sweat?

I like mine with Mexican picker's urine.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »

Speaking of Mexican picker's urine...

I wonder how hard it would be to farm seaweed - it seems to be one of the most micronutrient-dense foodstuffs in the world, especially for vegetable calcium, iron, B vitamins, etc.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »

I wonder how hard it would be to farm seaweed - it seems to be one of the most micronutrient-dense foodstuffs in the world, especially for vegetable calcium, iron, B vitamins, etc.

Good call. Start searching for a starter source, I've got a large unused fish tank to test on.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2009, 04:29:51 AM »

Speaking of Mexican picker's urine...

That sounds like a fantastic project to try. 

Not sure how you would prepare it and incorporate it into the diet though.  I have only seen it used to wrap up sushi with rice.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:48 AM »

I'm just throwing ideas out there, I'm not serious about setting anything up - yet.  I know one type of seaweed that sorta looks like spaghetti that tastes good mixed with regular whole wheat pasta spaghetti, and another type is good in salads.  Not sure what they're called though.  I'm sure the Iron Chef guys (referencing the original Japanese version) would know about 10,000 dishes made with all kinds of sea plant-life.  :lol:

BTW, I recently came across a very interesting video about setting heterogeneous long-term low-maintenance farming: Establishing a Food Forest the Permaculture Way.

[youtube=425,350]QVo2bOIN_AA[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:46:23 AM by Alex Libman »

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 05:31:43 AM »

http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/44/2/

A worm composting toilet can take  care of your poo and also gives you a high quality fertiliser in the form of worm castings which you can use to improve your soil thus increasing your crop yields.Grow a lemon tree and your pee will make the lemons better...

Hemp oil can power lots of things. Each acre of hemp could yield about 1000 gallons of methanol.

Right now if you planted 6 per cent of the US with hemp it could power the entire country. :D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:37:36 AM by Terror Australis »
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »

[youtube=425,350]QVo2bOIN_AA[/youtube]

30 seconds in and I saw them hauling a giant chicken tractor through the grass with chickens in it lol.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »

Well, it does perform a function similar to a tractor-powered plow: what they do is have chickens live in a caged area for a week, clawing up and fertilizing the soil, and then they move the cage / coop over a few yards and plant the area the chickens prepared, and so onward the week after that.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »

Well, it does perform a function similar to a tractor-powered plow: what they do is have chickens live in a caged area for a week, clawing up and fertilizing the soil, and then they move the cage / coop over a few yards and plant the area the chickens prepared, and so onward the week after that.

I have just never seen one so big that it takes that many people to carry it is all.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  If you had to grow your own food...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.