Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  If you had to grow your own food...

Poll

If you had to grow 100% of your food and process / cook it yourself, alone, what would be your primary sources of carbohydrates?

Maize
- 8 (6.1%)
Rice
- 9 (6.8%)
Wheat
- 9 (6.8%)
Barley
- 3 (2.3%)
Sorghum
- 0 (0%)
Millets
- 0 (0%)
Oats
- 0 (0%)
Rye
- 2 (1.5%)
Triticale
- 0 (0%)
Buckwheat
- 2 (1.5%)
Potatos
- 34 (25.8%)
Cabbage
- 6 (4.5%)
Apples
- 11 (8.3%)
Beans
- 20 (15.2%)
Carrots
- 4 (3%)
Peas
- 2 (1.5%)
Other legume
- 2 (1.5%)
Other fruit
- 9 (6.8%)
Other cerial
- 1 (0.8%)
Other root vegetable
- 2 (1.5%)
Other leafy vegetable
- 5 (3.8%)
Added late: squash
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had to grow your own food...  (Read 35790 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Re: If you had to grow your own food...
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:34 PM »

*fumbling microphone sound*

Aaah yes, thank you.. Question for Alex. Alex, you have suggested that individuals, in the event of a food crisis, grow their own produce in a heated greenhouse. My question is, Alex, as a self-proclaimed "Tax Resistor Diet" adherent, which seems to align itself with Veganism, what will you do with all that meat?

"Meat? Vat iss dis 'meat' of what you speak for Comrade?"

Well, in the event of a food crisis, one would expect a significant increase in larceny committed neighbor against neighbor. Have you considered this as a reality that you may experience under such trying times? And if you have, it is supposed that you would be within your rights to eliminate those who would aggress against your produce with violent means if necessary, so what will you do with all that meat? Thank you.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »

I advocate something that resembles veganism for reasons of avoiding government subsidies and using Free Stater owned land most efficiently, and, coincidentally, there are some health benefits as well.  I don't advocate that everyone be very strict about it, however, just myself.

Hey, if you happen to kill a wild animal (four-legged or two), you might as well eat it.  :P

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2010, 11:56:43 PM »

:P
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Bill Brasky

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »

I think that most rural homeowners engaged in self-reliant agriculture would have places other than their residential basements to use for growing mushrooms.  I'm thinking bottom shelf of the greenhouse maybe?  Greenhouses can also contain very large soil containers with multiple plant / fungus species growing symbiotically.

If you really wanted to make ideal use of limited land you could even have reinforced tunnels spiraling under your property (hey, it worked for Việt Cộng!) filled to the brim with fungus, but that would sound a little scary to some...  :lol:

Sunlight is bad, and temperature must remain a constant 65ish (it varies a little with species).  Thats why they make shroom houses out of concrete.  Basements are ideal, but most old farmland has a root cellar located somewhere on the property, which you'd then have to climate control. 

Tunnels usually encounter groundwater problems. 

If energy wasn't a concern, you could just get a junker travel trailer, paint the windows silver, and climate control it with a regular thermostat - you'd have two growing seasons, spring and fall.  Dead winter and blazing summer it'd be a huge waste of energy out of proportion to the gain of some frickin mushrooms.  But one of the attractive features of mushrooms is they can be dried and stored for long periods, so the "seasonal" aspect shouldn't matter.  You'd pull the temperature records from NOAA and grow shrooms when the avg temps are right in line with the optimum conditions. 

Or, you could just be realistic about your consumption and grow them in a tub in the basement.  There, your season is all year long.  So you'd get a nice little pile of fresh every couple weeks.  Because, seriously, how many of these things are you gonna fuckin' eat?  As long as you don't have a mountain of cowshit down there, it might have a scent, but it wouldn't be overwhelming.  The Bad Stink only happens when you're doing big loads. 

ForumTroll

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »

This week, in being almost completely vegan, I have realized that I really hate the taste of mushrooms.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »

This week, in being almost completely vegan, I have realized that I really hate the taste of mushrooms.

I can only eat them raw. 

ForumTroll

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »

I can only eat them raw. 

Maybe that's it, I stir fried them.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »

I like to pan fry them in butter with a little diced onion and black pepper, salt, and parsley.  I used to do the button shaped in that manner with some wine. 

Alex Libman

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »

Potatoes are easy.  And delicious.  Everything else is hard.  But the motherfuckers are nothing but starch (i.e. bad carbs), so I can't eat them.  Potatoes are the only rational argument I've ever come across for eating meat (I mean other than the taste of course), to revitalize the cheap starch with concentrated protein for a proper ratio of the two.

From some blog:

[...]  Potatoes are roughly the most productive crop you can grow in most temperate climates.  They also happen to be a bit more nutritious than usually given credit for.  They are not "pure starch", but in fact contain roughly 2% fairly high-quality protein.  The percentage of protein is low, but potatoes are so prolific that you still end up with 500-1000kg of protein per year per hectare of potatoes, versus 164-500kg of protein from soybeans, 98-300kg of protein from wheat, and only 33kg protein from milk produced by cows.

The protein by the way is found almost entirely right under the skin -- it's in the yellowish layer you see when you gently peel just the outermost skin from the potato -- which is why you should never peel potatoes (you're throwing all their protein content away), but instead always cook them unpeeled and then carefully pull the skin off.

Potatoes are surprisingly rich in other nutrients. They contain the B vitamins and are surprisingly rich in B6, and contain plenty of vitamin C. If they have yellowish flesh then they usually have significant amounts of carotenoids, which are a precursor to vitamin A that your body can use to make vitamin A.

Given that, maybe we should be peeling the potatoes a bit deeper than normal, eating the outer parts with skin, and discarding the center!

Potato starch from the center can have many industrial applications for things like biofuel, paper, cosmetics, etc.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:56:51 PM by Alex Libman »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2010, 10:23:13 PM »

...Or, you could dice them with the skins on, and stir-fry them some onions and peppers.  If you have a massive boner to utilize the skins and avoid the bulk of the potato, leave a golf-ball piece of potato aside, like a core. 

We humans call them "home fries".  Snooty people call them Potatoes O'brien. 

Doesn't mean you have to do it all the time.  But if I had potatoes to burn, and other garden veggies, thats what I'd do.  They also re-heat nicely in a skillet with very little effort. 

You can also pan fry the skins as a snacky meal, if you liberally season the skins with some cayenne pepper, or something else zesty that meets your vegan approval. 

Don't do that faggy par-boiling horseshit, you'll make gruel. 

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »

...Or, you could dice them with the skins on, and stir-fry them some onions and peppers.  If you have a massive boner to utilize the skins and avoid the bulk of the potato, leave a golf-ball piece of potato aside, like a core. 

We humans call them "home fries".  Snooty people call them Potatoes O'brien. 

Doesn't mean you have to do it all the time.  But if I had potatoes to burn, and other garden veggies, thats what I'd do.  They also re-heat nicely in a skillet with very little effort. 

You can also pan fry the skins as a snacky meal, if you liberally season the skins with some cayenne pepper, or something else zesty that meets your vegan approval. 

Don't do that faggy par-boiling horseshit, you'll make gruel. 

Home made potato wedges are excellent.Cut the potatoes into 8 wedges each  and place them in a bag with a little bit of oil and add some herbs and spices then shake the bag coating the wedges .Then put in oven .You can also par boil them first for a different taste.

User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Alex Libman

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »

I know how to cook a potato, thank you very much, but I'm inventing a whole new cuisine here, and it's a numbers game of considerable complexity.  A manly vegan diet is a struggle to maximize protein percentages.  Potatoes are a forbidden fruit by themselves, and adding more oil is just sacrilege!  I use no processed oils of any kind in my cooking.  I was thinking of peeling potatoes into my hearty pot of pea soup when it's almost finished simmering.  (Pretty much every main meal focuses on legumes.)

The question is what to do with the rest of the potato, the useless "carb junk" center.  I'm not set up to do anything on an industrial scale.  Obviously you can't plant them (in case any of you city slickers were about to suggest that), and they don't make particularly good fertilizer as they rot.  Trade them to people who are not protein-optimizing vegans?  Nah, they're not easy to store without dehydrating them.  We're talking about a firm white object ranging in size from a golf ball to a baseball...  Throw them through government office windows?  Nah, too obvious...  :roll:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:35:10 PM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2010, 01:08:50 AM »

Get a chicken and feed it to it. Chickens will eat basically any fruit or vegetable.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Alex Libman

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »

That's precisely what the commies want you to do!  They'll say you're mistreating your chickens or trying to poison everyone with salmonella, etc, and have the excuse / PR leverage to just Brian Travis you...  Also passing nutrients through another animal's body is never an ideal solution, especially on an agriculturally-independent space-station where animals would take up precious life support resources like plant-made oxygen.  I'm not on a space-station yet, but I like to plan ahead...    :)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »

Isn't the sweet potato considered the perfect food?  Or is it peanuts?  One of those has all the nutrients a human needs to survive.  It would be a boring a hell diet and might drive some people insane. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  If you had to grow your own food...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 36 queries.