Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  If anyone here is interested: The RON PAUL CORVETTE !!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: If anyone here is interested: The RON PAUL CORVETTE !!!  (Read 14151 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: If anyone here is interested: The RON PAUL CORVETTE !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

FYI the LS1 is one of the best performance motors ever built.

The motor costs about six grand.  How do you justify the other $50k of garbage surrounding it?

Corvettes are the fastest car for the price.  What Porche are you gonna get that can beat a vette around the track for the same price?

Isn't that kinda like selling someone a joint for 40 bucks and saying "Yeah, this is some good stuff though. The weed is $10 and the zig-zag paper its rolled in is gonna be $30"

Seems the engine on a vette should make up more of a percentage of the cost of the total car.
No, vettes have really high tech suspension and chassis and body.  They are all around sick cars.  Last time I checked, vettes could out G a porsche on the skid pad.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »

The motor costs about six grand.  How do you justify the other $50k of garbage surrounding it?

Corvettes are the fastest car for the price.  What Porche are you gonna get that can beat a vette around the track for the same price?

I'd enjoy driving the 911.  The other 10 mph at the high end doesn't matter, to me. 

Ever sit in a Vette?  It's like sitting at the long end of a dinner table. 

The game of performance autos gets fuzzy at the high end.  Is the Bugatti Veyron better?  Who really cares?  Its not worth the fuck-tons of dollars to find out. 

That kind of stuff, the money has to be a complete non-issue.  If you have a hundred million dollars, buy several.  Anyone who can afford a Vette would never be caught dead in one.  They're gauche. 

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »

Isn't that kinda like selling someone a joint for 40 bucks and saying "Yeah, this is some good stuff though. The weed is $10 and the zig-zag paper its rolled in is gonna be $30"

Seems the engine on a vette should make up more of a percentage of the cost of the total car.

UAW wages, pensions and health plans make up the biggest percentage of the cost. I'd rather pay the tariffs and send my money to the Germans than to let those surly union fucks have any of it.

MOE from between St. Joe's River and the railroad tracks

• "Take whatever you can get..." -MOE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »

UAW wages, pensions and health plans make up the biggest percentage of the cost. I'd rather pay the tariffs and send my money to the Germans than to let those surly union fucks have any of it.

Absolutely. I'd prefer to send my money to the little brown people though.

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »

Absolutely. I'd prefer to send my money to the little brown people though.

Word. I support brown as well with a Toyota and Honda in the stable. When brown builds two-wheels like BMW or four-wheels like Porsche, I'll do business with them on that front too.

MOE from between St. Joe's River and the railroad tracks

• "Take whatever you can get..." -MOE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »

When brown builds two-wheels like BMW or four-wheels like Porsche, I'll do business with them on that front too.

Elitist   :D

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 11:18:11 PM »

I've always thought BMW gives the best bang for your buck when it comes to cars.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »

I don't know, man. Checked out Audis lately? IMO, the A6 matches in performance and beats the 5 series in user-friendliness and prettiness at much lower price. On my second one now. Got both certified pre-owned with full warranty for less than the price of a new loaded Accord. I haven't seen a better value out there.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 01:08:06 AM »

I don't know, man. Checked out Audis lately? IMO, the A6 matches in performance and beats the 5 series in user-friendliness and prettiness at much lower price. On my second one now. Got both certified pre-owned with full warranty for less than the price of a new loaded Accord. I haven't seen a better value out there.
I agree.  I'd rather have an Audi than a BMW, but I'd rather have a Cadillac than an Audi.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 01:25:39 AM »

BMW 8-series is about the sexiest car ever built. 

When coming down to the land of mortals, I could go either way in the Audi Vs BMW debate, they're both pretty sharp.  I like the LED accents on the headlights of the Audi's.  Its the little things that attract my crow-like attention to shiny objects. 

I do like the M-series 5's.  I'm a lazy fuck, but that's a car I would wash more than once. 

Corvettes are what would happen if Larry The Cable Guy took acid in a Ferrari factory.  I don't give a shit how fast they are.  I actually laugh when I see one on the highway. 

Corvette took a giant shit after the stingrays and Mako concepts, and even some of the mid-70's were pretty cool.  The Barbie models were a fuckin' atrocity - and those were thirty years ago.

They are still trying to tweak the fucking Barbie model.  I can see it in there, like a deadman under the ice.  Enough, already.

The Mustang, retro and not bad.  The Challenger and Charger, not too shabby..  The Camaro, all sins forgiven. 

But the Vette - absurdly still whacking away at it, like they're having an ugly contest. 

Its a shame, really.  Corvette was THE car to measure all others by.  Now its a fucking joke with a good motor (granted) in it.

I simply won't be happy with Vette until they jettison that fucking turd into the land of misbegotten toys. 

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:41 AM »

You admit that the vettes are fast cars.  Then trash it because of its image.  That's something I don't understand.  Nothing is going to touch a ZR1 at the track within a hundred grand of its price range.  So what's the problem?

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »

You admit that the vettes are fast cars.  Then trash it because of its image.  That's something I don't understand.  Nothing is going to touch a ZR1 at the track within a hundred grand of its price range.  So what's the problem?

For me, its the interior design mainly. Looks cheap and plasticy........ almost spaceship like. Great engine, yes. Just dont like the looks of em and if im gonna spend that kind of cheddar on a car, I want the interior to have some class, not look like the head designer got his inspirado after driving a Hyundai he borrowed from a friend. Its like they had extra Chevy Volt interior parts and decided to make em interchangable with the vette.

Just my personal taste I guess.

vette pic

bmw 5 series

Just no contest for me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:42:39 AM by quickmike »

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:40:06 AM »

I don't know, man. Checked out Audis lately?

Honestly, I havent given Audi a fair shake in about 10 years, ever since they were having all kinds of recall issues and whatnot....maybe it was more like 15 yrs ago, I cant remember. They just kinda dropped off my radar. I wouldn't be against giving them another look today though. Never really had a bitch with Audi, just always been partial beemers myself.

Its the ultimate driving machine, dontcha know.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:51:18 AM by quickmike »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 03:44:32 AM »

You admit that the vettes are fast cars.  Then trash it because of its image.  That's something I don't understand.  Nothing is going to touch a ZR1 at the track within a hundred grand of its price range.  So what's the problem?

Well, Joel -  aesthetics are important to me.  I like curb appeal.  I like talent in design, shapes, comfort, symmetry.  Not everything is about guts-and-glory speed. 

I completely understand there are Vette fans.  I just don't get what they see in it.  And the "track" part of the convo is irrelevant to me.  I could RENT an actual NASCAR for a couple grand, and not be bothered with ownership at all, for all the good track-driving does me. 

I took a Sirocco up to 150, and a Datsun 280 up to 140, and a couple others to that extent, which was more than fast enough for me.  I much prefer the take-off, and running through the gears, working the throttle - going in circles is not something I'd enjoy. 

If I had to pick, I'd rather a tubbed out HemiCuda that you can find in AutoTrader for like 15k, roughed up, or an old Chevelle. 

You ever drive an old Chevelle?  They're fucking insane.  You start it up, and it literally feels like it's gonna explode.  You walk away from that bad-boy a little bit shakey.

So, I donno..  I'm not particularly enthralled with the 50k pricetag, saying it's equal to a hundred-k supercar.  I just don't care.  I'll take an older 911 and love it every day forever, rather than a brand new Vette and hate every minute of owning it.

I used to work with a guy who "restored" a 911, and he actually rattle-canned the fucker.  The trim-rings around the eyes were all cockeyed, the interior was all cracked and patched with black duct tape.  And I still loved it.  It was bright yellow, and it growled like an angry beast, roll cage, fire extinguishers, complete badass. 

I love cars man, I just don't like Vettes.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 04:16:47 AM »

I don't know, man. Checked out Audis lately?

Honestly, I havent given Audi a fair shake in about 10 years, ever since they were having all kinds of recall issues and whatnot....maybe it was more like 15 yrs ago, I cant remember. They just kinda dropped off my radar. I wouldn't be against giving them another look today though. Never really had a bitch with Audi, just always been partial beemers myself.

Its the ultimate driving machine, dontcha know.

Some years back, I got spooked off a used lot when looking at an Audi.  It was a nice pearl white 4-door with black leather. 

The guy says it's a 5 cylinder, and I was like "Huh?"  I never heard of that before.  So I made some excuses to go think about it, and came back to take it for a whirl, and it was gone.

I later heard some conflicting opinions, one guy said they were good, and another said they were to be avoided. 

It was hard to find good euro mechanics around here, back then.  So it was probably for the best. 

I ended up with an old Accord that ran like a top.  I think those were the ones that got re-badged as Acura Legends when Acura first started into the US markets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  If anyone here is interested: The RON PAUL CORVETTE !!!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 32 queries.