Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I swear this nonsense wouldn't be happening under the Articles of Confederation
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I swear this nonsense wouldn't be happening under the Articles of Confederation  (Read 3290 times)

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
For God and Free Trade

Branlin

• View Profile

I came to the conclusion years ago that no government can ever be constrained permanently by a piece of paper.

A few years ago some well-known writer, whose name slips me, said, paraphrased: "When all of human history is written, they will note that the natural condition of mankind is to be tyrannized. There was a little blip of a couple of hundred years with the American experiment in freedom, but that ultimately failed."

TheVigilantes

• View Profile

I came to the conclusion years ago that no government can ever be constrained permanently by a piece of paper.

A few years ago some well-known writer, whose name slips me, said, paraphrased: "When all of human history is written, they will note that the natural condition of mankind is to be tyrannized. There was a little blip of a couple of hundred years with the American experiment in freedom, but that ultimately failed."

I think one of the problems with the Constitution is that it has no provisions for punishment to authority who violate it. It just says don't do that or this, government. But if you do that or this...uh sorry we're not sure.

That plus the bull crap that is sovereign immunity. Oh wait, they put that in the Constitution. So somewhere right around the 11th Amendment the U.S. started going to shit...

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile

I think one of the problems with the Constitution is that it has no provisions for punishment to authority who violate it. It just says don't do that or this, government. But if you do that or this...uh sorry we're not sure.

That plus the bull crap that is sovereign immunity. Oh wait, they put that in the Constitution. So somewhere right around the 11th Amendment the U.S. started going to shit...
IMO the part that describes "Treason" describes that.  Maybe.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions

We all see how well all of that crap worked.

How are things today?

Believing in government perpetuates the myth that government works at all.

The Articles of Confederation didn't stop themselves from being removed. Paper can't protect itself.

Fuck gooberment.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

TheVigilantes

• View Profile

How are things today?

The Articles of Confederation didn't stop themselves from being removed. Paper can't protect itself.

Fuck gooberment.

Can I buy a pitch fork and torch from http://amazon.freetalklive.com ?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Can I buy a pitch fork and torch from http://amazon.freetalklive.com ?

Who said anything about violence?

Branlin

• View Profile

How are things today?

Fuck gooberment.

Yup.

And I have also come to realize, that we (collectively, as a nation) DESERVE WHAT WE HAVE, and deserve everything we're going to get.

I get into discussions with friends and acquaintances about all this stuff, and from what I see, MOST PEOPLE are so fucking stupid that they think the problem in the country is because of businesses and especially big corporations AND "the rich."

Now they ARE a problem in some instances, but without a big powerful government working hand-in-hand, big corporations would be toothless.

Just two days ago a real good friend and I got into this debate after he was trashing big bidness and rich people. So I said to him: "Government can confiscate your entire net worth, bust your door down in the middle of the night, drag you and your wife away shackled like animals, throw you into a cage for the rest of your life, torture you, and even kill you AND GET AWAY WITH IT."

To which I then added: "Bill Gates can do none of those things."

His reply? Something like "Somebody that rich? Sure they can do it." At that point I did not even bother bringing up how incentives control behavior.

Now this is a smart guy, knows electronics, computers, any kind of mechanical, hydraulic, etc. systems, is an airplane mechanic, SCUBA diver, race boat builder and driver, etc. etc. but government gets a pass I guess. He is totally logical when it comes to the real world, but could not agree with me that whatever evil or power exists within the business community pales in comparison with the evil and power that resides in Washington -- where the root of the problem is.

A couple of retired guys I know blame businesses for high prices on various things (they think prices are arbitrary and plucked out of the air by greedy capitalists) but when I point out how much govt regulations, excise taxes, mandates, hidden fees, etc. etc. imposed by govt on the business is reflected in the price, it goes right over their heads, government gets a pass. It is blameless, benign, benevolent.

I've about given up trying to discuss this with people, except for my best buddy who pretty much agrees with me on most things.

Fuck you America, you deserve the fate that's coming, and they won't be using Vaseline.

Branlin

• View Profile

Yup, good point.

But, from my jaded point of view, even if the Constitution required a mandatory jail sentence for any politician who violated the Constitution, it would just be another layer of bullshit for the politicians to talk their way through, and the tyranny would come anyway -- although maybe delayed a few decades.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

The people who make the laws are the people responsible for enforcing the laws.

Laws are bullshit. Pieces of paper are bullshit. Government will do exactly what they want to do.

Branlin

• View Profile

The people who make the laws are the people responsible for enforcing the laws.

Laws are bullshit. Pieces of paper are bullshit. Government will do exactly what they want to do.

And we see it daily, yet there are millions of people who deny it.

As Frederic Bastiat said in "The Law," law is nothing but legalized plunder.

I believe it was Murray Rothbard who said something to the effect that there was no moral difference between government and the Mafia.

I like to expand on that: The only glaring difference between government and the Mafia is that the government owns the legislature and courts, and therefore has the legal power to make the rules under which it -- and everyone else -- operates. The Mafia does not have that luxury.

Beyond that, they both exist to coerce, plunder, and extort, and will destroy or kill those who resist.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick

I've come to the conclusion that this planet is doomed to an endless cycle of freedom and tyranny. People become free and that freedom brings prosperity. The prosperity brings comfort and that is when people let their guard down and forget where their prosperity came from, then comes the tyranny. Then years later, people rise up and defeat tyranny (sometimes) and the cycle starts all over again.

The human race is doomed to this endless cycle im afraid. Paper with shit written on it never lasts.

Merry Christmas!!!!! :)
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Branlin

• View Profile

Laws are bullshit. Pieces of paper are bullshit.

That reminds me of this great, short quote from the guy who made the Colt 1911 as popular as it is today, the late Jeff Cooper:

"Laws are not necessarily just, nor is justice necessarily legal."

davann

I would have to strongly disagree that the natural condition of mankind is to be tyrannized. For several 1000 years mankind held onto mystical beliefs and it shook those. There is not reason to believe tyranny can not put into the dust bin just like the belief of Sun gods. People are able to reason and that alone will be the death of central governments.

All we lack is education. Things look bleak now because government's were smart and seized a monopoly on schooling and called it education. When that monoploy is broken the whole tyranny can be broken.

While America's attempt at freedom is the most notorious it was not the first and will not be the last. It is like a baby learning to walk. Yes, it is going to fall down. But eventually, it will not only learn to walk but run. It is just for now we are hampered by having one leg broken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I swear this nonsense wouldn't be happening under the Articles of Confederation

// ]]>

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 32 queries.