Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I lost my job today
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I lost my job today  (Read 1871 times)

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
I lost my job today
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »

This is the appropriate emoticon: :D

I have been working 60+ hours a week and driving 2+ hours a day, five or six days a week for a company that has absolutely no respect for their employees. Not Verizon, they're actually cool to work with. But the marketing company (as they call themselves) who staffs the FiOS kiosks, 20-20 Communications, is crooked enough to walk sideways through a corkscrew.

I should have started looking for a new job as soon as I realized I had been lied to about my commission and hourly rates. But I didn't, because the money was worth it for a while. But my GM was an utter monster, and that really wasn't worth it at all.

The GM is a compulsive liar. She would say one thing, then say the exact opposite a few sentences later, and when confronted she would get angry and make threats. She is also a feminist, and basically her whole thing about being in management is messing with the guys employed under her. I don't want to go on an ad-hominem rant so I'll just summarize by saying that she's pretty much a non-violent sociopath.

So after three and a half months of abuse, I'm doing what I should have done all along: becoming self-employed. As of this moment I am now a professional writer. I have enough money in savings and investments to publish a whole lot of my stuff that I've already written, so I'm going to do it.

But that's all a prelude to why I lost my job.

This morning as I approached the store my car's alternator died. So I had to push it into a nearby gas station parking lot and have it towed. Before the guy left, I grabbed some valuables out of the trunk, among them a bag with a C02 container for my paintball gun in it.

After the tow-truck left I noticed that there was also a box of 12-gauge clay shot in the bag with a few shells in. I figured I should just leave it behind the store where nobody would see it and tell the shift manager that it's there so he wouldn't freak out. He was busy at the time and my blood sugar was running low, so I walked back over to the gas station to get some food.

When I came back, the store manager was out there with the shift manager, and the former was getting ready to call the cops. Someone had found the bag, rooted through it (it was opaque so they had to have been looking through it) and told the managers about it. They seemed about to crap their pants in terror because they saw a couple of clay shot shells.

To make a long story short, they went apeshit, called my GM, she shat bricks, she called the DM, he went completely Bursor, he called HR and I'm certain that by this time HR is preparing the troops for a desperate battle against the Evil Employee With Some Clayshot. Because what happened was she was told that I brought ammunition into the store (which I didn't; I deliberately left it outside so as not to cause anyone to wank out), and then she told the DM that I had brought EXPLOSIVES into the store because she couldn't tell a straight story if someone was threatening the life of her shitzu, which is the only thing in the world she cares about besides herself.

I'm surprised I'm not in jail by now for threatening to blow the place up.

With clay shot.

So I suspect they will fire me. But even if they don't, I'm quitting. This is pretty much the incentive I needed to do what I've been planning to do for a long time. Even if things are tight for a while, it will be worth it to no longer depend on anyone else for a paycheck. Except customers, of course, but one depends on them in any case, unless one works for the state.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Demon440

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
Re: I lost my job today
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »

well sounds like its going to work out for the better anyway. Are you planning on running a agroist business by any chance?

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »

Maaaaaaaybe... >.>

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »

I think it will be partly white-market. How big a part remains to be seen. But I will definitely be taking advantage of my lack of formal employment.

davann

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »

Sorry to hear you lost your job but wish you well on being a writer. Hopefully you will never have to deal with little people with delusions of power again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I lost my job today

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.