Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I FUCKING HATE IPODs
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I FUCKING HATE IPODs  (Read 44961 times)

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
Re: I FUCKING HATE IPODs
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »

I was  going to let a coworker copy the audiobook I, Robot to his iPod because it is already on my work laptop. Unfortunately for him, I don't keep that pseudo-virus known as iTunes on any computer I own, and apparently* that's the only way to load content onto an iPod. What crap. I've got about half a dozen ways to put content onto my $80 16G MP3 player.

* I know nothing about ipods, but this dude does all kinds of stuff with him, so I expect him to know.

why didn't you just ask him for  jump drive?
Do yourself a favor.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »

I have it on Overdrive media console and the licensing won't let me copy it. I can only download it to a player the system recognizes as a valid player. Usually I download books and copy them for both my wife and I so we can listen to books together and talk about them. That's how we are both enjoying the Sword of Truth series.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »

I was  going to let a coworker copy the audiobook I, Robot to his iPod because it is already on my work laptop. Unfortunately for him, I don't keep that pseudo-virus known as iTunes on any computer I own, and apparently* that's the only way to load content onto an iPod. What crap. I've got about half a dozen ways to put content onto my $80 16G MP3 player.

* I know nothing about ipods, but this dude does all kinds of stuff with him, so I expect him to know.
LMAO So true.

I've ran into this same exact issue before as well and I think its hilarious.  I copy music to my player using Explorer!  I can use WMP9, or the SanDisk software, or WinAmp, etc.  But I just use Explorer because that is the simplest way to do it.  iTunes is one of the most horribly written media player programs out there.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »

I have two ipod models, plus a number of other MP3 players, including an Insignia. That way, I'm covered, no matter what. Still, 90=% of the time, I opt for the ipods. Virtually all of my podcasts are heard on a shuffle.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »

I don't listen to FTL as much as I used to. In fact, I didn't miss a show for about 2.5 years, then quit during the spring and got into some books and some tech podcasts for a while.

Yesterday I downloaded the last week of episodes and burned them to CD to listen in my car. I get tired of touching my MP3 while driving and hitting pause when the phone rings. I like this method.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2009, 01:09:14 AM »

I have it on Overdrive media console and the licensing won't let me copy it. I can only download it to a player the system recognizes as a valid player. Usually I download books and copy them for both my wife and I so we can listen to books together and talk about them. That's how we are both enjoying the Sword of Truth series.

ahh...i see.  Im not a fan of using itunes exclusively for the ipod; though I don't mind the hardware.  the ipod has a sleek design and the interface is simple and easy to use.  about the only cool thing that I can do with itunes is download podcasts and have them automatically organized.

overall i'm disenfranchised with apple products.  they're overpriced.  I'm thinkin about getting a new laptop within the next four or six months, and apple is out of the question.  For their price, I could get the HP i'm interested in and a copy of Adobe inDesign.

the difference between a 15in macbook and an 17in macbook:  $800

the difference between a 16in HP and a 18in HP:  $300
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:19:19 AM by Kunst »
Do yourself a favor.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2009, 02:26:13 AM »

ahh...i see.  Im not a fan of using itunes exclusively for the ipod; though I don't mind the hardware.  the ipod has a sleek design and the interface is simple and easy to use.  about the only cool thing that I can do with itunes is download podcasts and have them automatically organized.

overall i'm disenfranchised with apple products.  they're overpriced.  I'm thinkin about getting a new laptop within the next four or six months, and apple is out of the question.  For their price, I could get the HP i'm interested in and a copy of Adobe inDesign.

the difference between a 15in macbook and an 17in macbook:  $800

the difference between a 16in HP and a 18in HP:  $300

I'd buy a HP laptop right now, if I was looking to spend laptop money.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »

I bought a HP dv6305 last year for my mom. Very nice, quick, nice screen and keyboard.

About a month past when they would have replaced it for free, a known problem occurred with the motherboard, where it simply cannot see the wifi card any more. OS says it just doesn't exist.

So $450 for a new motherboard, or $550 to replace the machine entirely.

HP needs to do something to make me buy their hardware again. So far...
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

BonerJoe

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »

I bought a HP dv6305 last year for my mom. Very nice, quick, nice screen and keyboard.

About a month past when they would have replaced it for free, a known problem occurred with the motherboard, where it simply cannot see the wifi card any more. OS says it just doesn't exist.

Should have bought the extended warranty. Laptops start to wear out after a year. Connectors, batteries, frayed cords, etc. I've had my Dell since 2006 and I've replaced every single part in it except a plastic bezel piece and the DVD drive because of wear/malfunction.

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »

Should have bought the extended warranty. Laptops start to wear out after a year. Connectors, batteries, frayed cords, etc. I've had my Dell since 2006 and I've replaced every single part in it except a plastic bezel piece and the DVD drive because of wear/malfunction.

idk about that I think it just depends. I personally don't like dell. I've only had one desktop from them and I couldn't configure anything except the ram in that piece of shit. The hard drive was covered by metal that was bolted in etc, etc. But I've had several laptops. I have an hp, sony, and acer(great laptop imo). Hp I had for 8 years, the sony for 6 and the acer for 3. Never had to replace a single part in any of them. I did upgrade the ram on the acer though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:12:05 PM by Hideaki »

blackie

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2009, 02:13:43 PM »

Or you just buy a USB wifi thingamajig for less than $50....

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »

Or you just buy a USB wifi thingamajig for less than $50....

As nice as that sounds, the MB problem messed with the USBs too. I tried that, I assure you.

idk about that I think it just depends.

That's my experience, too. It's important when talking about the "extended warrantee" that they make money selling them. Lots of money, that's why they push them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:18:56 PM by BobRobertson »
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

blackie

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »

I bought a HP dv6305 last year for my mom...

So it wasn't covered by the 24 month HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-48630-1&product=3370281&os=2093&lang=en&docname=c01087277#c01087277_identify

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2009, 02:28:07 PM »

I bought a HP dv6305 last year for my mom...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-48630-1&product=3370281&os=2093&lang=en&docname=c01087277#c01087277_identify

well look at that. ask and ye shall receive. If it's not some problem from the users end I'm pretty sure any company would want to cover it's own ass.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »

Not the first time I called them, but that was a 12 month program, not this 24 month program. I'll call them again, thank you.

Oh crap, they list the RV005, and RV009, but mine is an RV006.

I'll still call, just to nag them and tell them that they shouldn't be so completely idiotic about fixing a known problem, but oh well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:42:11 PM by BobRobertson »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I FUCKING HATE IPODs

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.