Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I FUCKING HATE IPODs
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I FUCKING HATE IPODs  (Read 44975 times)

Chronicles

Re: I FUCKING HATE IPODs
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »

I have an Zune 30G I got off Freecycle (had to open it up and reattach the battery cord, works like a charm) and I really love it. Very easy interface, looks great, and the sound is quite good.  (I agree with Icculi, it is a pain in the ass to convert all my FLAC stuff...but you only have to do it once.)

The Ipod has terrible audio output. I listened to it with my Shure earphones, the same as I do with other players, and the sound is really unsatisfactory. The bass is lacking in depth, and the highs tend to be tinny. The best player for sound output, IME, is the Creative Zen. I really wish mine hadn't fallen in while I was washing dishes.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »

The nice thing about iPods is they are format and source agnostic. I loaded on all my Napster and Gnutella mp3's, even Ogg and VBR encodings play just fine. It doesn't care what file format you use, except for WMA (or WMV), because Microsoft wouldn't let 'em have access to their proprietary media codec. I can put any old AVI or MPEG, really any format that Quicktime will play, on my iPod and watch it too.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Bill Brasky

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

I have an Zune 30G I got off Freecycle (had to open it up and reattach the battery cord, works like a charm) and I really love it. Very easy interface, looks great, and the sound is quite good.  (I agree with Icculi, it is a pain in the ass to convert all my FLAC stuff...but you only have to do it once.)

The Ipod has terrible audio output. I listened to it with my Shure earphones, the same as I do with other players, and the sound is really unsatisfactory. The bass is lacking in depth, and the highs tend to be tinny. The best player for sound output, IME, is the Creative Zen. I really wish mine hadn't fallen in while I was washing dishes.

A friend 'o mine showed me the Zen a few weeks ago, didn't listen to it but really liked the display.  Plus you can swap the microSD cards out, which is cool. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »

The nice thing about iPods is they are format and source agnostic. I loaded on all my Napster and Gnutella mp3's, even Ogg and VBR encodings play just fine. It doesn't care what file format you use, except for WMA (or WMV), because Microsoft wouldn't let 'em have access to their proprietary media codec. I can put any old AVI or MPEG, really any format that Quicktime will play, on my iPod and watch it too.

That Touch I was fuckin' with converted WMA to mp3 automatically.  (I forget if it requested permission)

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2009, 07:53:36 PM »

OH! That's cool, must be new in the latest iteration of iTunes.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2009, 02:11:12 AM »

OH! That's cool, must be new in the latest iteration of iTunes.

yah.  my nano does that too.  and it does bring up a dialogue box and ask you to OK it.
Do yourself a favor.

Icculi

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »

Well, I think that you are the only one that has one of those...  Is it any good?

Well, I wanted a larger capacity mp3 player so I was basically looking at the Zune 120 or iPod 120 classic.  The Zune won out for me because: larger screen (videos look great on it), wifi capability (not all that great now, but hopefully will get hacked later), and built-in radio tuner (meh... but bonus).  The only thing the iPod had was waaaaay more accessories.  Which, is kind of a major issue, but I can live with it.

blackie

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:17 PM »

The Samsung S3 is bluetooth, so you can get wireless earbuds, and it'll also link to your phone and you can talk through it, it pauses the music so you can answer.  Pertty kewl. 
I don't carry around an MP3 player or a cell phone, but if I carried both, I would want them to be the same device.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »

The Samsung S3 is bluetooth, so you can get wireless earbuds, and it'll also link to your phone and you can talk through it, it pauses the music so you can answer.  Pertty kewl. 
I don't carry around an MP3 player or a cell phone, but if I carried both, I would want them to be the same device.

I don't have a house phone. 

My next cell will probably be all-in-one, should be fairly common in a year or two with quality.  You can get 'em now, but I don't know how good the tunes sound or how big the storage capacity is.  Never really looked into it with any seriousness. 

blackie

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2009, 09:22:03 PM »

I don't have a house phone. 

My next cell will probably be all-in-one, should be fairly common in a year or two with quality.  You can get 'em now, but I don't know how good the tunes sound or how big the storage capacity is.  Never really looked into it with any seriousness. 
I use my land line so little, every time I need to give the number to someone, I have to pull out my wallet and look at a little piece of paper with the number written on it. The only thing I use it for is calling my parents every couple of weeks. I pretty much hate phones.

The iPhone seems pretty slick, but my guess is you wouldn't want that. Apple markets it as an iPod.

Everyone wants small phones with more features. The only special feature my cell phone has is rotary dialing.

One of these days I am going to need to break down and get a smartphone, but I want to put it off as long as possible.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2009, 08:14:31 AM »

The iPhone seems pretty slick, but my guess is you wouldn't want that. Apple markets it as an iPod.

Palm Pre.

Nokia N97 gets decent reviews but X has one, so fuckthat.  I'm kinda lolling now, never realized she coulda saved herself 250 bx by using the phone as an mp3.  Asshead, she is.  I can't wait to tell her. 

/contemptuous snort

digitalfour

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

iPhone + Jailbreak = Kick Ass

Riddler

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »

I can't wait to tell her. 

/contemptuous snort

....a snidely as possible, no doubt...
add a pinch of arrogance & that should bake up nicely.
bwaaahaaahaaa

Bill Brasky

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

I can't wait to tell her. 

/contemptuous snort

....a snidely as possible, no doubt...
add a pinch of arrogance & that should bake up nicely.
bwaaahaaahaaa

Nah.  Nice as pie.  

I spent the morning looking at a whole bunch, mainly Samsungs and Palm.  That one she has ranks right up there, one step below the hottest shit.  (not a true 'smartphone', which are basically little PC's)

She has no idea what that thing is capable of.  

Bill Brasky

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I FUCKING HATE IPODs

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.