Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I FUCKING HATE IPODs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I FUCKING HATE IPODs  (Read 44981 times)

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
Re: I FUCKING HATE IPODs
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »

Go to the ipod preferences screen and manually manage the music....  That's how you do it.

Anthony

yeah, that's what I have it set on.  I can manully add music to the playervia itunes, but i can't figure out how to take slected music off the player to make room for new tracks.  I ended up doing it last night, but i had to delete the songs from itunes itself, then re-sync everything else to the ipod.  it was kind of a pain in the ass.  I'm with Brasky when he says that a drag 'n drop player would be infinitely more convenient.
Do yourself a favor.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »

BUT, there is such a thing as an instruction manual, and there are things such as support forums to help you out.  I mean really, is it THAT hard to work with? 

No, it really isn't that hard to work with. 

That doesn't mean I should be bothered fuckin' around with Apple's creative solution to moving a folder from one drive to another. 

Also, it didn't come with a manual, afaik.  If it did, she woulda been flapping it into my face telling me to read it.  I assumed it was a video tutorial in the player somewhere, or available in iTunes as a free download. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »

The reason I love Apple products is number one,  I never have any problems with them. Number 2, Apple makes everthing VERY easy to use. Number 3, anything I need to do with computers, Apple has the solution.

I have no problem paying a few $$$ extra for Apple products because I know my $$$ are being used in awesome research and development for future products. Apple is number one for many people for good reason.

Telling Mac people their shit's fucked up is like telling a Trekkie a particular Star Trek movie sucked.  They just won't accept it, Apple never made a shitty product, software or hardware.  

I'd rather talk to an impartial Roger Ebert, not someone who starts drooling about all things Apple.  I'm willing to admit they've made some good products, but not all things are touched by the golden balls of a smiling god.

I'd have bought FOUR iPods this year if they had drag and drop.  They're shooting themselves in the foot.  Now I just outright refuse since I've found quality elsewhere.  Before I investigated other products, I figured - like many people - that iPod was the cream, and everything else was second rate.  Thats hardly the case.  

And its outright hilarious how Mac people will say Windows is shit because you have to tweak and dick around with it, then they'll turn around and proudly tell you how they had to tweak and dick with Mac stuff.  I've only had a handful of times over the last fifteen years where I had to do anything tougher than reboot.  Maybe ten years ago, when drivers were fickle.  But everything nowadays is plug-n-play, so that old masturbatory Mac clique needs to pull its head out of its ass, nobody cares unless you need real leet skillz and fuck around in the 32 a lot...  If thats the case, I could understand having some valid and intelligent criticisms of M$ - but you'd probably be running open source.

touched by the golden balls of a smiling god.
ROFL!!!!!! There is a T-shirt idea in there some where!!!! ROFL!!!!

I hope I'm with someone who can appreciate my amusement if I ever see that somewhere on a shirt. 

Riddler

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

You obviously have no clue.

wow.
back with MORE creative comebacks...
this one was recycled 3 times in less than a day.

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »

BUT, there is such a thing as an instruction manual, and there are things such as support forums to help you out.  I mean really, is it THAT hard to work with? 

That doesn't mean I should be bothered fuckin' around with Apple's creative solution to moving a folder from one drive to another. 

Also, it didn't come with a manual, afaik.  If it did, she woulda been flapping it into my face telling me to read it.  I assumed it was a video tutorial in the player somewhere, or available in iTunes as a free download. 

That's what happens when you assume!  LOL  Seriously, there are manuals on the apple site.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »

Go to the ipod preferences screen and manually manage the music....  That's how you do it.

Anthony

yeah, that's what I have it set on.  I can manully add music to the playervia itunes, but i can't figure out how to take slected music off the player to make room for new tracks.  I ended up doing it last night, but i had to delete the songs from itunes itself, then re-sync everything else to the ipod.  it was kind of a pain in the ass.  I'm with Brasky when he says that a drag 'n drop player would be infinitely more convenient.

In manual mode, you just delete the music from the ipod.  That's it...
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Bill Brasky

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »

You obviously have no clue.

wow.
back with MORE creative comebacks...
this one was recycled 3 times in less than a day.

Ken is one of those people who thinks everyone who doesn't like what he likes is an idiot. 

I'm one of those people who thinks if a design sucks, I won't buy it.  And I'll probably bitch about how amazingly stupid a billion dollar company is to alienate half the world. 

Apple took the world by storm.  They sold something like 170 million units.  I'll bet they woulda sold TWICE that many if they didn't insist on iTunes. 

Apple relied on the benevolent giant to support Mac, first gen iPod was Mac only.  They create iTunes to be supported in Microsoft. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itunes

This is why they shove it up your ass, Kenny.  They want your thousands of dollars worth of CD's to be obsolete.  The player is a platform, not the real product.  More than half my stuff is off my own discs, ripped lossless and then compressed to 320 or 192 mp3, depending on the band.  (Floyd would be 320, something like AC/DC would be 192).  They want the average users private library to be problematic, and instead buy the tunes online from them.

In iTunes, several of the albums are "unknown artist" but my Sony reads them all.  In iTunes, 80% of the cover art is missing, in Windows 80% has art and the missing ones are because there is no art in the folder.  I suspect the ones that display cover art in iTunes were probably downloaded from iTunes, meaning 100% of albums ripped and encoded by me did not work properly.  (although they work fine in Windows)   That 'track record' of theirs regarding my library is fucking awful.  I could not, in good conscience, sell a product to the public that performed that way.  iTunes (the music source) should be a convienent way to acquire music, not a product that renders your private collection useless. 

On January 6, 2009, Phil Schiller announced in his Macworld 2009 keynote speech that over 6 billion songs had been downloaded since the service first launched on April 28, 2003.[36]

At the previous Macworld Expo 2008, Apple CEO Steve Jobs stated that the service had set a new single day record of 20 million songs on December 25, 2007. He also announced that the iTunes Store will offer over 1,000 movies for rental by the end of February.[37] The iTunes movie catalog includes content from 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios, and Sony Pictures Entertainment. These movies will also be transferable to all 6th generation iPods.[38]

YOU obviously have no clue.  If iTunes was a M$ product with absolutely no change in design, it would be ridiculed right out of existence. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 09:02:41 PM »

That's what happens when you assume!  LOL  Seriously, there are manuals on the apple site.

What part of "getting it somewhere online from Apple in digital form" was I unclear on? 

Did it come with a paper booklet?  NO.

Could I have Googled "iPod Touch Users Manual" and gotten 2,953,456 results in 0.1 seconds, with the top result being Apple.com?    YES. 

I still haven't, and I won't.  Because its not my fucking device, and I don't plan on reading (torturing myself with) 100 pages of crap because iTunes SUCKS BALLS. 

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 01:53:31 AM »

Yeah, I never liked the iPod because of its near forcible lockin to Itunes (and the Itunes store).

I've used iPods for years, and never felt compelled to buy anything in the iTunes store--virtually all ripped CDs and MP3s downloaded from elsewhere.  The exception--the free Pepsi offerings.  I think I bought one song, originally, to see what the process was like.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 01:57:48 AM »

Ken is one of those people who thinks everyone who doesn't like what he likes is an idiot.  

He's one of those people who think people who fling expletives because a product isn't designed the way they would design it is a fucking moron.

By the way, I didn't bother to read the rest of your uninformed bullshit.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: I FUCKING HATE DRM
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »

I've used iPods for years, and never felt compelled to buy anything in the iTunes store--virtually all ripped CDs and MP3s downloaded from elsewhere.  The exception--the free Pepsi offerings.  I think I bought one song, originally, to see what the process was like.

My wife got an iPod as a gift. It's sitting on a shelf right now, hardly ever used, but that's just us.

Since it plays commodity MP3s, I think it's a perfectly good product. I use gtkpod to put files on it, since I use Linux, and it works just fine.

What I reject is DRM. I tried using the FTL advertiser Audible.com or whatever it is, and I was completely disgusted.

Audible.com only works with specific MP3 players, because it doesn't use MP3. It uses only proprietary, closed file formats. That's why it lists "compatible" players on its website. There is no way to convert the files to generic formats, nor is there any way to play the proprietary files in anything except Audible's own software, which runs only on Windows or MacOS.

The iPod is a cute, expensive toy. No problem, lots of people buy expensive toys.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »

Dude, I just used foobar to convert the Audible files I have to .mp3s. Works fine.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »

Apple sells all kinds of DRM free content now, through iTunes. If you reject DRM, you should LOVE Apple, because they beat up the labels on it until they finally caved. No one else had the clout to do that, but they knew their customers wanted control over the products they buy, and now, you can upgrade your existing library of old AAC's purchased from iTunes to DRM free versions for a very small fee, and DRM free content started out being $1.29 per song, instead of 99¢, but now they are lowering the price to make them cost the same.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Russell Griswold

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

I've had the same iPod Nano for years now. It was given to me as a gift and it only holds 1 GB of storage. I tweaked the firmware with a HEX editor to adjust back-light and change wallpapers on it before they could be changed. It's terrible as a storage device and I look at it more as a platform to listen and organize podcasts on.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »

Dude, I just used foobar to convert the Audible files I have to .mp3s. Works fine.

Foobar, really? I'll have to look that one up. Thank you.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I FUCKING HATE IPODs

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.