Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I don't understand tipping.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't understand tipping.  (Read 9739 times)

Pizzly

• View Profile
Re: I don't understand tipping.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

How 'bout the pizza delivery guy?

He's doing a little more than walking your grub from the kitchen to your table and then cleaning up after your little ankle biters.

I mean he could get T-boned by a semi, FFS, just so you can stuff your gullet with cheesy goodness.

My business transaction is with his employers not him. Any risk should be compensated by his employers. I'm not paying for his service, the pizza shop is paying him to take it to me. I'm paying for the pizza.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »

Yeah?  So what?  It is also the custom here to tip the pizza boy. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »

He's doing a little more than walking your grub from the kitchen to your table and then cleaning up after your little ankle biters.

I mean he could get T-boned by a semi, FFS, just so you can stuff your gullet with cheesy goodness.

My business transaction is with his employers not him. Any risk should be compensated by his employers. I'm not paying for his service, the pizza shop is paying him to take it to me. I'm paying for the pizza.

What the fucks the difference Piz? Either you choose whether or not to give a tip, or you leave it to the boss to decide, in which case he's gonna jack up the price you pay to compensate for the extra cost he pays to his employees. So in effect, you're gonna pay the tip indirectly even if you think the delivery guy did a shit job. Wouldn't you rather have control over that?

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »

And you are tipping so he doesn't spit on it or christen it with a snot rocket while it is in his car.

SecretAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »

PMFJI, but this will also explain what "legal tender" means. It is not an adjective as some people think.

The deal is, you will pay for the meal. However, the law cannot require you to pay for the meal. If the law required that, then you would be breaking the law, guilty of a misdemeanor, if you presented FRN's and the owner refused them.

To "tender" something means pretty much, to present it and attempt to deliver it.

If the law only required you to "offer" to pay, you could eat free, simply by walking out after "offering" to pay an owner who wants the FRN's. Technically, you "offered" to pay, and when the offer was accepted, you walked out without paying.

FRN's are "legal tender" because if you "tender" them, you legally "tender" payment of that amount. (Actually, Ron Paul is quick to point out that Congress has no Constitutional authority to make anything legal tender.)

"The drafters of the Constitution were well aware of how a government armed with legal tender powers could ravage the people’s liberty and prosperity. That is why the Constitution does not grant legal tender power to the federal government, and the states are empowered to make legal tender only out of gold and silver (see Article 1, Section 10). "

Congressional Record, 18 July 2003 page E1516
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2003_record&page=E1516&position=all

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mauiguy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

CCCHHHHHEEEEEAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE.  

Just thought I'd dress that up a little.

Good call Lindsey  :lol:
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien

Riddler

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »

always tip the 'za-delivery-dude.
i think its a law. somewhere

mauiguy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »

Awesomeness. Even if it is from a politician...

Maybe we'll all get consideration eventually.

http://youtu.be/ZPGkqflBtmg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:02:36 PM by mauiguy »
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »

Awesomeness. Even if it is from a politician...

Maybe we'll all get consideration eventually.

http://youtu.be/ZPGkqflBtmg

Very fucking cool.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »

Hello, Mr Brasky.  So good of you to come.  Will you be dining in the tipping section, or the non-tipping section. 

Tipping, please.

Very good sir, right this way. 

Riddler

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »

sound policy, esp. when the latter would include the following scenario:     

line cook:
 ''sooooo, NO-TIP  brasky's havin' the big-glom burger special tonite?......maybe he'd like that topped with an ''oyster''...''

as he closes his right nostril with his index finger, & blows a big, ugly, chunky snot-oyster out his left, right on top of the glom-burger, then places the cheese on top to diguise his nefarious deed..............mr. brasky being none-the-wiser.

mauiguy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »

sound policy, esp. when the latter would include the following scenario:     

line cook:
 ''sooooo, NO-TIP  brasky's havin' the big-glom burger special tonite?......maybe he'd like that topped with an ''oyster''...''

as he closes his right nostril with his index finger, & blows a big, ugly, chunky snot-oyster out his left, right on top of the glom-burger, then places the cheese on top to diguise his nefarious deed..............mr. brasky being none-the-wiser.

GACK!!!

Bill Brasky

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:14 PM »

One of several reasons. 

My primary reason is because THATS THE WAY IT FUCKIN' IS.  You go to a restaurant, this is our custom.  You also don't shit on the floor, or play with your dick at the table, or shove people out of your way into the fuckin' lobster tank. 

I hate this fucking argument, from snot-nosed little twerps who think they've had an original thought.   Whee!!! I have a contract with the owner, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Here is a simple and straightforward "contract" for ya.  If you don't have an extra fifteen percent beyond whatever you expect to pay for the food, don't even go inside.  You ACCEPT the possibility of gratuity by simply walking in the door.  The owner EXPECTS you to understand the customs of the land, or to stay the fuck out. 

Now, if something unexpected happens, you may alter the gratuity.  Less, or more, depending upon the incidentals.  But if everything is as it should be, then they have fulfilled their half of the "contract".  Which means YOUR refusal is the breach. 

Idiot.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »

GOD DAMN, its hot outside!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z_CbSHVYU8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:55:11 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I don't understand tipping.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 32 queries.