Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I caught a guy cheating at poker
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I caught a guy cheating at poker  (Read 4334 times)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
I caught a guy cheating at poker
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »

The brother in law of a long time friend of mine who also works for me part time and hosts the poker game I've been going to for 4 years.  He's a good player and has always been one of the biggest leaks in my game.

Today I caught him cheating 3 separate times.  

It was down 3 of us and we were playing for a decent chunck of change left by several players coming and going with lots of re-buys in a cash game .  The night often ends that way.  I planned on going home with everything.  The cheater was very large stacked.

It was 30 minutes into 3 handed play that I first caught him.  I made sure he knew I was on to him and that I was keeping on eye on his hand movements.  The second time I pointed out a flaw in his slight of hand technique and told his opponent that he (the cheater) folds as the mark had just put in a large bet on the river.  Undaunted he thought for awhile and asked if he had him beat and then folded.  

I expected by then he would just slowly give up all his chips and thank us for coming, but he did it a third time and by then I had tipped off the third player who easily spotted his movements and we just quit playing hands when he dealt.  It was obvious to him at this point we knew what he was doing and his head was hanging pretty low.

We both played at him aggressively and even with each other and he played good poker right back but we shortened his stack steadily.  This went on for about 7- 10 rotations where he did no more cheating.  The third player is a little bitch and started saying things like: "I've got what I came with, I'm happy." in hopes of avoiding confrontation.  When I was tired of waiting I pushed all in on a draw that I normally wouldn't have and that player 3 should have folded anyway but he called and won.  The cheater exclaimed: "Why'd you give him all that money?"  I said it didn't matter.  I asked the cheater what he thought we should do?  Player 3 started counting his chips and trying to cash out while I explaing to the cheater there was no way he was keeping any of that money (he still thought he was, but he caved quickly).  I then told player 3 to get the moneybox and get as much as he was in for and to give me the rest, that I had earned it for spotting the cheat.  The cheater mumbled things about how he doesn't usually do that and they're really broke these days (It's like pulling teeth to get him to come to work).  Player 3 did what he was told.  I told the cheater I'd see him around and left.  It was raining.  I was on a motorcycle.  My feet are cold.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:01:19 AM by Ecolitan »

fase2000tdi

Re: I caught a guy cheating at poker
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »

The brother in law of a long time friend of mine who also works for me part time and hosts the poker game I've been going to for 4 years.  He's a good player and has always been one of the biggest leaks in my game.

Today I caught him cheating 3 separate times.  

It was down 3 of us and we were playing for a decent chunck of change left by several players coming and going with lots of re-buys in a cash game .  The night often ends that way.  I planned on going home with everything.  The cheater was very large stacked.

It was 30 minutes into 3 handed play that I first caught him.  I made sure he knew I was on to him and that I was keeping on eye on his hand movements.  The second time I pointed out a flaw in his slight of hand technique and told his opponent that he (the cheater) folds as the mark had just put in a large bet on the river.  Undaunted he thought for awhile and asked if he had him beat and then folded.  

I expected by then he would just slowly give up all his chips and thank us for coming, but he did it a third time and by then I had tipped off the third player who easily spotted his movements and we just quit playing hands when he dealt.  It was obvious to him at this point we knew what he was doing and his head was hanging pretty low.

We both played at him aggressively and even with each other and he played good poker right back but we shortened his stack steadily.  This went on for about 7- 10 rotations where he did no more cheating.  The third player is a little bitch and started saying things like: "I've got what I came with, I'm happy." in hopes of avoiding confrontation.  When I was tired of waiting I pushed all in on a draw that I normally wouldn't have and that player 3 should have folded anyway but he called and won.  The cheater exclaimed: "Why'd you give him all that money?"  I said it didn't matter.  I asked the cheater what he thought we should do?  Player 3 started counting his chips and trying to cash out while I explaing to the cheater there was no way he was keeping any of that money (he still thought he was, but he caved quickly).  I then told player 3 to get the moneybox and get as much as he was in for and to give me the rest, that I had earned it for spotting the cheat.  The cheater mumbled things about how he doesn't usually do that and they're really broke these days (It's like pulling teeth to get him to come to work).  Player 3 did what he was told.  I told the cheater I'd see him around and left.  It was raining.  I was on a motorcycle.  My feet are cold.

What kind of work do you do?  think he's a druggy?

And LOL @ cheating at poker.  That's pretty bad.

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »

Hmm, maybe this is why gambling is considered evil by a few religions and should only be played by friends for a fraction of what you earn.

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »

Off with his head!

davann

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:54:41 AM »

This is the problem with home games. Collusion, dealing from the bottom, ect. I got a brother that is in surveillance and he let me attend a demonstration of this magician/dealer that could do things with cards that no one except a professional that was watching intensely could catch. Never play home games, 95% will have at least one cheater.

fase2000tdi

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »

How was he cheating?

If you shuffle a deck, etc, how can one cheat?

JWI

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »

How was he cheating?

If you shuffle a deck, etc, how can one cheat?

There's several tricks one can use to "stack the deck" or change cards.  Since the OP mentioned slight of hand I'm sure it was something relating to that.

Zat

• View Profile
    • Just a photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »

1. Stand up rapidly.
2. Flip poker table over.
3. Shoot the cheater in the chest.
4. Profit !!

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:00:10 PM »

What kind of work do you do?  think he's a druggy?

Residential remodeling.
No he's not a druggy... an alcoholic but not a raging one.  

He was dealing himself extra cards and then waiting til the river to put back the ones he didn't want.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:42:59 PM by Ecolitan »

JWI

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

What kind of work do you do?  think he's a druggy?
No he's not a druggy... an alcoholic but not a raging one. 

He was dealing himself extra cards and then waiting til the river to put back the ones he didn't want.

Double dippin' dealing?  Increases your win % but still has a lot of risk for a cheat.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »

I caught a kid cheating once. When he was dealer he was pulling all the aces out and tucking them under his hat, the kid next to him's butt, etc.

I was a kid too, so I just quit and then stood behind him and pulled each card out saying stuff like "oh? Where'd this come from man?" as he tucked it away.

I embarrassed him and then left the building for the duration of the game with my buddies. The next day I got together with a bunch of the people playing and practiced slight of hand tricks together.  The cheater? Ostracized.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »

The cheater? Ostracized.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this.  He and the wife just graduated college and are very dependent on his in-laws, whom I know well.  It wouldn't be as big a deal as say... busting them for smoking pot but it would be very bad for him if his father-in-law found out he's been cheating at poker because he's so broke AS WELL as not coming to work when he can... very.  I had already found his replacement at work before this incident.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »

The cheater? Ostracized.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this.  He and the wife just graduated college and are very dependent on his in-laws, whom I know well.  It wouldn't be as big a deal as say... busting them for smoking pot but it would be very bad for him if his father-in-law found out he's been cheating at poker because he's so broke AS WELL as not coming to work when he can... very.  I had already found his replacement at work before this incident.

Well, it was easy for me because I was at Boy Scout camp many many states away, and it was one where practically everyone came from many states away too. As scouts we were very organized and it was easy to shun someone for being so stupid, if only temporarily.  I dunno what you should do, there's quite a lot of drama involved.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »

The cheater? Ostracized.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this.  He and the wife just graduated college and are very dependent on his in-laws, whom I know well.  It wouldn't be as big a deal as say... busting them for smoking pot but it would be very bad for him if his father-in-law found out he's been cheating at poker because he's so broke AS WELL as not coming to work when he can... very.  I had already found his replacement at work before this incident.

How much money are we talking about?

Do you think he's done it before and was just off tonight or was it too amateurish for that?

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »

The cheater? Ostracized.

How much money are we talking about?

Do you think he's done it before and was just off tonight or was it too amateurish for that?

I think he got drunk and careless this time.  I think he's been doing it for a long time.  There was about 200 dollars in the pot this week, that's pretty common, sometimes it goes much higher.  He's been a very successful player at his game.  There's always pot and booze and conversation.  It wouldn't be hard to pick your moments in that game and carry very little risk.  I was sober and paying more attention than usual.  He picked some of his moments poorly.

It's not a matter of whether he does this regularly but whether his good friend that builds a lot of big pots but hasn't won much of anything consistently for awhile now is shilling for him and getting a cut.  That guy was out of town this week.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:21:39 PM by Ecolitan »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I caught a guy cheating at poker

// ]]>

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 32 queries.