Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I'm stranded in a hotel with the cable out.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm stranded in a hotel with the cable out.  (Read 2619 times)

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
I'm stranded in a hotel with the cable out.
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »

So I'm stuck in a hotel near where I work (I closed yesterday, then I was supposed to open today but they closed the store), and I can't even get out of the parking lot to try and make it home. Not that I'd definately make it if I tried; I don't have 4wd and the main highway isn't in much better shape than the road I'm on now. Apparently they just closed down 2 of the 3 major routes into Pittsburgh, and now there's shit happening all over the other one because everyone is still trying to get home (this being the morning AFTER the blizzard) that way.

The upkeep of the road beside which I am now is a point of dissention between the city (who is responsible according to the state) and the state government (who is responsible according to the city). So what happens? The local businesses have to do the plowing. But not so fast there, market solution! The city decided to close the road down since "nobody" was going to plow it, so the local property crews couldn't even get it done until noon today!

Goddamn weather and goddamn government roads.

Oh, and the cable's out. And so is my cell phone.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:21:24 PM by MacFall »
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

ForumTroll

Re: I'm stranded in a hotel with the cable out.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »

Maybe you should have called someone if you should bother to come into work first instead of risking your life in a blizzard? Don't make no sense man, no sense.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »

I was here yesterday. BEFORE the blizzard. When the snow that they said we were supposed to get wasn't coming. Then it did, after they said it wasn't coming any more. Fixed the OP to make that clearer.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:22:02 PM by MacFall »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

I'd rather have the cable and phones out than the internet anyday.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »

Normally I would too, but I have to go to the lobby for internet and I don't like internetting in public. I always feel like people are watching over my shoulder. And sometimes they are.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

Normally I would too, but I have to go to the lobby for internet and I don't like internetting in public. I always feel like people are watching over my shoulder. And sometimes they are.

Oh I know how you feel.  I could be on youtube and I'd feel embarrassed at someone looking at my screen. Weirds me out.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »

You are kind of really screwed because of the analog switch to digital.  However if the motel tvs have digital tuners you could do something.  

Make yourself a UHF/digital antenna.  You will need a couple or three metal paper clips not the coated plastic ones and a metal coat hanger or copper wire or even aluminum foil.  

Untwist the paperclips and twist them together so you have some length of wire.  One end of this will go into the cable antenna in part of the tv.  The other will attach to the metal loop you will make.  Most metal coat hangers have a very thin metal coating you will have to untwist the coat hanger and scrap off some coating so that bare metal is contacting bare metal.  You want to make a loop.  Another alternative loop could be some aluminum foil twisted together to make a kind of metal cord then loop that.   Twist the paper clips to the metal loop and insert it into the cable or antenna in if you need to you could use tape to make sure it stays in the connection.  

This will only work if your tv has a digital tuner and there is an over the air tv station with a strong signal with in 5 to 7 mile radus of your location.   Don't forget once you set up you have to use the remote to located channels.

You might want to get the make and model of tv then do a web search for a manual if you aren't sure if it has digital tuning or you need help tuning the tv.    

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:53:34 PM by libertylover »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »

TV must be really important to you.  I'd just use the radio on the clock. 

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »

I am a visual person and I like to tinker.  Besides during weather events like this there are usually some interesting crashes and smashed up vehicles on the news.  

I made a toy robot out of a toothbrush head and the vibrator of a cell phone.  I made an led grow light for my geranium using christmas lights a piece of cardboard and some aluminum foil.  I made a photo box out of an old cardboard box and tracing paper.   Tinkering is kind of a hobby of mine.  I got the bug pulling apart and building computers back when 80-88s were the shit.   I will say Ipod was my major failure.  I got a great deal on an Ipod with some of the pixels burnt out on the screen it worked other than that.  I thought no big deal buy a replacement screen.  I have to add I have mess around with countless cell phones, replacing screens, salvaging cell phone which have fallen into water etc.  However the Ipod was so difficult to crack open and even with the static strap it got fried.  I really hate Ipods but what are you going to do they dominate the accessories market.  

Bill Brasky

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

I am a visual person and I like to tinker.  Besides during weather events like this there are usually some interesting crashes and smashed up vehicles on the news.  

I made a toy robot out of a toothbrush head and the vibrator of a cell phone.  I made an led grow light for my geranium using christmas lights a piece of cardboard and some aluminum foil.  I made a photo box out of an old cardboard box and tracing paper.   Tinkering is kind of a hobby of mine.  I got the bug pulling apart and building computers back when 80-88s were the shit.   I will say Ipod was my major failure.  I got a great deal on an Ipod with some of the pixels burnt out on the screen it worked other than that.  I thought no big deal buy a replacement screen.  I have to add I have mess around with countless cell phones, replacing screens, salvaging cell phone which have fallen into water etc.  However the Ipod was so difficult to crack open and even with the static strap it got fried.  I really hate Ipods but what are you going to do they dominate the accessories market.  

I can't imagine a local event that would eclipse my ambivalence enough to perform home surgery on a motel television. 

Besides, on air-signal, you don't know when the cable came back. 

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »

I can't imagine a local event that would eclipse my ambivalence enough to perform home surgery on a motel television. 

Dude he is in a hotel.  People will be running up and down the halls screaming the cable's back on. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »

There's something extra cozy about being snowed in, isn't it?  Think of this as a great opportunity to catch up on some reading, podcasts, etc, etc, etc.  Who needs TV?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »

Dude he is in a hotel.  People will be running up and down the halls screaming the cable's back on. 

TV IS IMPORTANT!  I don't share their enthusiasm. 

What if, by some odd chance, everyone was not an idiot?  The signal may return with minimal fanfare. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I'm stranded in a hotel with the cable out.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.