Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I'm ignorant on the subject of using gold, silver, etc. as currency
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm ignorant on the subject of using gold, silver, etc. as currency  (Read 1204 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile

I understand the advantage of having gold & silver.

You see, I have this friend.... who runs an unlicensed business. He is open to bartering & trades and is curious about using these shiny minerals that humans go ape over to complete transactions.

None of his clients use gold or silver, none of the retailers accept it, etc.

How would he go about finding interested parties to do business with? He's already asked his regular clients and no one's biting... they all send him 1099's each year, and aside from an occasional trade, they're all on the up & up.

After obtaining the minerals, what's the best way to locate retailers who accept them?

And then, how is it divvied up? How little of a slice of gold, how small a speck of dust is traded?

Due to a (probably) unhealthy & irrational hatred of money, I'm totally ignorant of this subject (as well as the subject of stock markets & trading). I understand there are brokers who hold the minerals and set up an account and all that, but I don't trust that. When the feds come knocking to seize the gold that means I'm shit outta luck.

So assuming I want to have the minerals on-hand, how does the trading actually get done?

(sorry for any awkward wording.. low blood sugar comin on!)
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: I'm ignorant on the subject of using gold, silver, etc. as currency
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »

If you're holding physical, right now there aren't a whole hell of alot of options for trading in the real world. Ebay is a good place to sell if you need some actual cash on hand. You typically get a few bucks over spot price for an oz of silver which makes up for the ebay/paypal fees they rape you with.

As for bartering, might as well forget that idea for right now, unless you stumble upon somoene who feels the same way you do. Its not mainstream and probably wont be for some time, might not ever be. Best you can do is just hold the physical as long as you believe it will continue going up in price and sell what you need when you actually need to buy something.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  I'm ignorant on the subject of using gold, silver, etc. as currency

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.