Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Hunting questions
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunting questions  (Read 2954 times)

inane

• View Profile
Hunting questions
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »

So i decided that I would like to go hunting. The idea of killing the animal I'm going to eat is very appealing. I'm not into guns. I have never even held one. How much would a decent rifle cost?
What would I need to pull off a hunting trip? I doubt hunting will be anywhere near a regular event for me so I'm not looking to invest much into it.
Astrology is as vacuous as the space it worships.
-Perry DeAngelis

One two three

• View Profile
Re: Hunting questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »

So i decided that I would like to go hunting. The idea of killing the animal I'm going to eat is very appealing. I'm not into guns. I have never even held one. How much would a decent rifle cost?
What would I need to pull off a hunting trip? I doubt hunting will be anywhere near a regular event for me so I'm not looking to invest much into it.

First step is to find a friend or family member that hunts.  Second step is to ask to hunt with them.  Third step is to ask them more questions.  Forth step is to hunt with them.  Fifth step is to continue to ask them questions.

I hope that helps.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »

First step is to find a friend or family member that hunts.  Second step is to ask to hunt with them.  Third step is to ask them more questions.  Forth step is to hunt with them.  Fifth step is to continue to ask them questions.

I hope that helps.

If you're going to be that useless, you could have at least gone to google and searched for "hunting forums" and posted a link to the results, asshole.

sorry, I don't know anything about hunting other than the fact that I have uncles that engage in the sport.

guns neither.  (cue John Shaw.)
Do yourself a favor.

NightFlight

• Beta 4
  • Who said we didn't win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »

First, what is the animal that you want to harvest (thats kill in PC terms). I guess since being raised around outdoorsmen for 50 years, might I suggest that you might want to look into archery. To me that is real hunting. Compound bows cost less than rifles and arrows are reusable if you don't lose them. My son even fishes with archery tackle. Give it a look-see. If interested, say so and I can post links like this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/archery.aspx?c=8&dc=8
What we have here... is a failure to communicate.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

If you're going to be that useless, you could have at least gone to google and searched for "hunting forums" and posted a link to the results, asshole.

sorry, I don't know anything about hunting other than the fact that I have uncles that engage in the sport.

You clearly don't get it.  I get that you know nothing about hunting, you made it clear.

Learning from someone else is by far the best way to get into hunting.  He could do it from a friend or family member for free or pay up to several grand to get a guide to teach him everything.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »

Take a Hunters Education course. In WI here they have them all the time and in lots of towns, dunno about where you are. They teach you pretty much ALL you need to know. I'd go with someone on my first hunt definitely. Not only will you have more fun, but you are less likely to hurt yourself and more likely to get something. It can be easy (go to someones home (aka my parents) where deer cross the property at dinner time in broad daylight, every day, without fear, and walk right up to you so you could throw a rock at one) or it can be harder (track into the wilderness, build a stand, use a bow, etc.).  Personally? I dont like hunting much. It is typically boring, cold, nasty (think of gutting a deer in the woods), and more work than I'd like it to be.  I'll let others hunt for me or farm thank you very much.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »

If you take up hunting, please take up deer hunting. So few people hunt deer these days that the animals are all over the place. We have way more deer than thirty years ago, and car impacts are commonplace. Deer wander through our town--something that never happened a few years ago.

Or, consider taking out some of the bears. Used to be, I'd never see a bear. Now, I can hardly go camping without seeing 'em since our state outlawed hunting bears with dogs a few years back.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »

Great idea, but unfortunately I live in california where gun ownership is a sin against humanity. I don't know anybody that hunts.
-Perry DeAngelis

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »

Great idea, but unfortunately I live in california where gun ownership is a sin against humanity. I don't know anybody that hunts.

First step: Get the fuck out of California. 

blackie

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »

Get a bb gun or .22 and shoot squirrels.

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »

First step: Get the fuck out of California.

I'll be out as soon as I convince my son's mother to move to NH.

Get a bb gun or .22 and shoot squirrels.

thats actually not a bad idea. There are plenty of rabbits around here. Never thought of eating them.
-Perry DeAngelis

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:36 PM »

You clearly don't get it.  I get that you know nothing about hunting, you made it clear.

Learning from someone else is by far the best way to get into hunting.  He could do it from a friend or family member for free or pay up to several grand to get a guide to teach him everything.

yeah, NO.DUH!

learning from someone else.  ISN'T THAT THE BEST WAY TO LEARN LOTS OF THINGS!?  he was asking for a suggestion for a gun!!  not for a typewritten how-to guide.
Do yourself a favor.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »

best gun to get for hunting is a 12 gauge shotgun.  I have a pump action shotgun which I've taken everything from pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, turkey and deer.  It also has the added benefit of being one of the best guns for home defense.  Cycling the action on a shotgun is perhaps the closest thing yet devised to the brown note.  
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:08 AM »

I'm in the same boat.
Pocho

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »

best gun to get for hunting is a 12 gauge shotgun.  I have a pump action shotgun which I've taken everything from pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, turkey and deer.  It also has the added benefit of being one of the best guns for home defense.  Cycling the action on a shotgun is perhaps the closest thing yet devised to the brown note.  

Agreed. Added benefit of using a shotgun: firing slugs or bird shot (bb's).

Check local laws though! You dont want to get caught with the wrong stuff in the wrong place at the wrong time! Around here you cant even carry around certain types of ammo unless its hunting season for fears of poachers. We do have poachers and they're assholes leaving carcasses and hunting at night. Not that I approve of the DNR, but yeah if your gonna break the law dont be a dick about it.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Hunting questions

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 33 queries.