Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw  (Read 38340 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2010, 06:56:27 AM »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2010, 06:01:11 PM »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2010, 04:14:59 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, behold:

MarryYourPet.com

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

(Encyclopedia Dramatica)

The human civilization is in free-fall...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:18:31 AM by Alex Libman »

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »

I have to ask, in all seriousness Libman, is there a point to this thread? :?
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »

Um, yeah, read the first post.

To discourage people from owning pets.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »

Bumping thread.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »

Um, yeah, read the first post.

To discourage people from owning pets.

Um, why?
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010, 12:15:57 AM »

Because it is illogical, economically destructive, detrimental to the human desire to reproduce, and harmful to human relationships as well.  Pet ownership is a mental illness that all rational people should look down on!

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »

I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »

I'm with Libman on this. The desire to control others comes from a bad place.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »

Are you sure that the pet isn't controlling you? Take a cat for example, these little fuckers will eat all your food and go to the next house to eat some more, and so on. Dog sometimes do this too, just not as often as cats as they tend to be pack animals and will either fall in line with a human family or form their own packs (not good as these fuckers will get aggressive and hurt humans). Either way, no force is plied on a cat or dog. Or fish, or bird, or anything else. Humans simply possess a pet in the same fashion as you possess a child; to socialize, nurture, and etc. Furthermore, if we take Libman's thesis to its end, then all consumption of plant and animal sources is equally illogical; so why not just abandon living altogether then? I'm sorry, but Libman's ideas are as flawed as my 'best' paintings; haphazard at best, but rubbish none the less.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »

Are you sure that the pet isn't controlling you? Take a cat for example, these little fuckers will eat all your food and go to the next house to eat some more, and so on. Dog sometimes do this too, just not as often as cats as they tend to be pack animals and will either fall in line with a human family or form their own packs (not good as these fuckers will get aggressive and hurt humans). Either way, no force is plied on a cat or dog. Or fish, or bird, or anything else. Humans simply possess a pet in the same fashion as you possess a child; to socialize, nurture, and etc. Furthermore, if we take Libman's thesis to its end, then all consumption of plant and animal sources is equally illogical; so why not just abandon living altogether then? I'm sorry, but Libman's ideas are as flawed as my 'best' paintings; haphazard at best, but rubbish none the less.
Excellent point.  I have to remind my girlfriend not to let her dog control her. 
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »

Excellent point.  I have to remind my girlfriend not to let her dog control her. 

"Small dog syndrome" is a prevalent problem that bugs me to no end. People think, "oh its a little dog, I'll let it do what it wants" until the dog is literally walking all over everyone.  It becomes the pack leader, the alpha dog, when another one does not present itself, which leads to all sorts of problems.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »

"Small dog syndrome" is a prevalent problem that bugs me to no end. People think, "oh its a little dog, I'll let it do what it wants" until the dog is literally walking all over everyone.  It becomes the pack leader, the alpha dog, when another one does not present itself, which leads to all sorts of problems.

Yep.  My brother and sister-in-law got a small scruffy dog from the humane society and had to mostly re-train him, because he really thought he ruled the house and everyone in it.  Since then he has mellowed quite a bit, and is actually okay to be around.  I'm not a big fan of small dogs, so of course I'm his favorite person whenever I go to visit.  

If they had not adopted that dog, Libman, it's quite likely that he would've been killed.  If they let him go wild, he most likely would be killed.  Is it still inhumane for them to keep him as a pet?

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »

It's nice to see some people here starting to get it, except those that don't...

[...]  Humans simply possess a pet in the same fashion as you possess a child  [...]

That's what I am against.  Every human child (or mental patient, etc) is a potential rational economic actor whose rights to Liberty and Property are deferred to someone else, but who nonetheless has the right to Life and Emancipation.  Animals are natural resources that cannot possibly own themselves, they simply lack the neurological infrastructure to think on a level that is compatible with the rest of the civilized universe.

Furthermore, if we take Libman's thesis to its end, then all consumption of plant and animal sources is equally illogical; so why not just abandon living altogether then?  [...]

Huh?  Where did that come from?  Are you trying to win a stupidity contest here?

People are of course free to do whatever they wish with their own property (be it plant, animal, or otherwise).  Very few people have the same delusions about plants that most people have about animals.  There will inevitably be some degenerate idiots who would talk about "plant rights", just as there will always be thieves, rapists, and murderers.  Those retards need to be defended against.

[...]  Is it still inhumane for them to keep him as a pet?

The word "inhumane" is a meaningless appeal to emotions; what we are talking about here are objective economic laws (i.e. right to own animals as property) as well as rational moral positions (i.e. ostracizing the pet nuts).  The immorality of keeping an animal is addressed throughout this thread.  Animals are a very inefficient food-source, raising food prices while some humans starve.  Wild animals are pests that can spread disease or otherwise damage your property.  And pets are an emotional virus that inevitably takes affection away from other humans, leading to smaller and weaker human families as the result.

Since humans are already thousands of times more productive than animals at acquiring food on this planet, and that advantage becomes infinite as we venture into space - there is no limit to how many pets we can produce.  Animals will breed as much or as little as we allow them.  We could fill the known universe with cute little puppy and kitty filled space-stations if we wanted it.  In case you missed the memo - man has conquered this planet.  An animal has no value in of itself, it's human beings that assign it value.

Animals are automatons created by natural selection, no different from rocks that are a product of chemical and planetary evolution.  What necessitates the recognition of Human Rights is the value that that rule-set brings to Civilization.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:51:10 PM by Alex Libman »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.