Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw  (Read 38344 times)

davann

Re: Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »

I would bet that your parents wish they had... taught you not to launch pointless ad hominem attacks.  :roll:

It was an insult. Why do the geeks always throw out the "ad hominem attacks" when they are faced with an insult. Really it's getting old and not every comment is a debate, but call it was ever you want. I'll call it a burn and laugh.

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
  • Aint no thang but a chicken wing!
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »

<1>  Fix your grammar, I have no idea what your second sentence is supposed to mean.

<2>  Added hyperlink to Wikipedia article on "negative and positive rights".

I was taking the same approach that Vegans do to interperting the NAP.
Feel free to add me to facebook, or contact me on MSN.

Alex Libman

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

It was an insult. Why do the geeks always throw out the "ad hominem attacks" when they are faced with an insult. Really it's getting old and not every comment is a debate, but call it was ever you want. I'll call it a burn and laugh.

When I am in debate mode, I feel an obligation to address all feedback rationally, even if that means pointing out that an obvious insult is irrelevant to the argument at hand.  Then I can call you an asshole, asshole.  See?

Vegans do not base their moral values on reason, but on subjective emotion, and people like that cannot be trusted to do the right thing.  Hitler (I don't believe bringing him up is a fallacy every time) was an (uncommitted) vegetarian and believed animals should have state-recognized rights, but some of his other subjective feelings weren't so compassionate...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:58:07 PM by Alex Libman »

blackie

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »

people like that cannot be trusted to do the right thing.
People can not be trusted to do the right thing.

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
  • Aint no thang but a chicken wing!
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »

When I am in debate mode, I feel an obligation to address all feedback rationally, even if that means pointing out that an obvious insult is irrelevant to the argument at hand.  Then I can call you an asshole, asshole.  See?

Vegans do not base their moral values on reason, but on subjective emotion, and people like that cannot be trusted to do the right thing.  Hitler (I don't believe bringing him up is a fallacy every time) was an (uncommitted) vegetarian and believed animals should have state-recognized rights, but some of his other subjective feelings weren't so compassionate...

Not all vegitarians are nazis,  nor are they all irrational
Feel free to add me to facebook, or contact me on MSN.

blackie

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 09:11:43 PM »

Yeah, and not everything Hitler did was bad. Some of his paintings just sold.

Alex Libman

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 09:32:50 AM »

First of all, I may owe this thread a confession of emotional hypocrisy.  I was visiting someone this morning, and I rode up in an elevator with a nice old guy who had the cutest little Chihuahua puppy evah!  It was all excited to see me, and I petted it, and it licked my hand, and awww...  I want one!  But I will overrule that emotion for rational reasons.

People can not be trusted to do the right thing.

Obviously, but some people are more trustworthy than others.  The only rational way to tell (how trustworthy someone is) is by projecting from their past actions.  There's nothing wrong with going vegan for health or other reasons, but making sacrifices (exchanging greater value for lesser) because of your emotional attachment to animals is a moral flaw, and a major negative for their trustworthiness rating.

Like I've said in the first post, using (or not using) animals for your benefit is morally neutral, but making sacrifices based on this irrational emotion of misplaced pity is immoral.  This isn't to say that it should be illegal, what you do with your property is your right, but reasonable people should avoid people who hold irrational emotions in such high esteem.  That's the point of this thread.

Furthermore, forcing others to make sacrifices based on your irrational emotions, which is what "animal rights" movement is all about, is an initiation of force that rational people will feel a moral imperative to defend themselves against!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:41:30 AM by Alex Libman »

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »

[...]  Your cats can't grow up, get jobs, buy large houses, and compete over who grandpa / grandpa is going to stay with, as in some large human families.  [...]

Wow, I meant to say "grandpa / grandma" - gayest typo evah!  :lol:

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »

The pet nazis on nhliberty are making me sick!  :x

Alex Free Market

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »

Oh joy, a heavily consequentialist based argument for morality.     :|

Though after reading the thread supporting taxation for childless couples, I'm going to guess that you are either joking about this stuff (probably not), or are one heavy utilitarian.   You'd probably like Judge Posner.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:31:10 PM by Alex Free Market »

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »

Evolutionary Pragmatism != Utilitarianism

(Read Ayn Rand.)

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

So, did anyone follow my advice yet?

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »

nope

IndyCA

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 10:44:17 PM »

i think libman would have waited in the bushes, patiently biding his time drinking cheap vodka, and then attempt to throw the pet-owner against the wall...after which he would grab the dog by the leash, toss it against the same wall while exclaiming, "FLY!!  BE FREE!!!"
Do yourself a favor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Human Egoism - Pet Ownership is a Moral Flaw

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.