Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How should I deal with threatening hate mail?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How should I deal with threatening hate mail?  (Read 5199 times)

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
How should I deal with threatening hate mail?
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »

I'm going to have to leave out a lot of the details on this, because my friend went to the FBI and they've instructed him not to go public until they've looked into it. Technically I shouldn't know any of this, but I'm waiting in the wings for the green light to write a report on this. All that aside. My question is... how do you think I should have handled this if it were me and I don't what to use the services of the FBI?

He received a letter, snail mail, threatening property damage on some local mosques, and alluding to a larger plan of a series of attacks throughout the coming months around the state. In all likelihood it's just a lot of hot air intended to intimidate, but there is no ambiguity that it was worded as a threat to person and property.

The idiots who sent it to him printed the letter on the back of a program from their church group. The officiant of the groups meetings is the same as whoever signed the letter. And with a little googling I was able to find the facebook and myspace pages of all the officers in the program, a few of their personal blogs, and able to connect the officiant's name back to the PO Box the letter was sent from.

Given that the gears are already in motion, and it's not my case. If it were me, do you think I should turn them all over the FBI? I hesitate, and would be inclined toward contacting them directly now that I know who they are. Something like how Ian approached the guy who stole his bike. But what if they are serious, and dangerous.
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: How should I deal with threatening hate mail?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »

What else could you do? Hire a private investigator?

You're already paying for their services. Might as well use them.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:52:57 PM »

The idiots who sent it to him printed the letter on the back of a program from their church group. The officiant of the groups meetings is the same as whoever signed the letter. And with a little googling I was able to find the facebook and myspace pages of all the officers in the program, a few of their personal blogs, and able to connect the officiant's name back to the PO Box the letter was sent from.

I would call that person and see if it's legit. Sounds like a setup by an agent provocateur

"I think all ya'll should DIAF, sincerely, someone who is definitely me for real see here's my church group and my contact info."

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

thersites

• Government Child Care
    • View Profile
    • Sandusky County Politics Examiner
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »

I would call that person and see if it's legit. Sounds like a setup by an agent provocateur

"I think all ya'll should DIAF, sincerely, someone who is definitely me for real see here's my church group and my contact info."

Shaw's right. Firebombing over phone-lines is not possible as yet. I'm certain whoever you call is going to be reallllly surprised. Of course, you never know who is going to be on the other end of the line, so you might want to come up with a plausible reason for doubting the veracity, and say so-since no doubt the feds can come back at you for not reporting a 'legitimate' threat....or well anything they want really.

After that though, if by some bizarre stretch the threat is confirmed...then you must make a decision. I'd go public with the threat, I think, if its a threat agianst a public place or group, call a press conference. Publicity is likely to give you as much(almost certainly more)protection as going direct to the feds would.

And hire a lawyer. A good one.  Actually, if the threat was to a place like a Mosque, that might be the best first move-even if you intend to go to the fuzz, its awful easy to fuck up.

"your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park" Anthony Bourdain

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-11204-Sandusky-County-Politics-and-History-Examiner

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »

It just so happens that this friend is a lawyer. So I'm not too concerned about how he handles himself with the Feds. It's in his job description.

It never occurred to me that the whole thing could be fake. Once I found the real people involved I assumed it was real. Are Feds prone to creating false threats using real people's identities? That seems incredibly dangerous.
~Prophet Muhammad

BonerJoe

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »

Maybe they wanted to see if the Muslims would bomb them in a pre-emptive attack.

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:12:41 PM »

...change email address, stop using your real info on the interwebs  :wink:

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »

Are Feds prone to creating false threats using real people's identities?

Although I used the word "Agent", I wasn't necessarily implying gooberment peoples.

There are assholes out there that'd be happy to stir up some shit like that.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:52 PM »

Are Feds prone to creating false threats using real people's identities?

Although I used the word "Agent", I wasn't necessarily implying gooberment peoples.

There are assholes out there that'd be happy to stir up some shit like that.

To me this seems more likely than someone actually being dumb enough to have their own info on that kind of threat.

If they were threatening arson, I'd be calling the cops, not confronting  anyone. Short of that I probably wouldn't bother.

Something like how Ian approached the guy who stole his bike. But what if they are serious, and dangerous.

A valid concern.

I'd also be deeply skeptical of the effectiveness of that kind of tactic in such a situation, presumably Ian intended to shame this bike thief on some level. The people making these threats are probably proud of them.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »

Andy: your sig is not much of a blog is it?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »

It seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you dont.
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

davann

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »

I'd suggest plagiarizing the letter with a small shout out to the writer on some unknown web site fequented by a handful of people.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

I am disinclined to cry wolf, but I agree with Mr. Shaw. Either it is a setup, or someone to damn dumb to care about.

Stephen E.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »

Muslim Agorist,

This is off topic but what do you think of my responses in your "why 'they' hate 'us'?" thread.

As for the topic, it does sound as if this is the work of agent provocateurs. Would anyone who was serious make their identities so plainly obvious? Although it could be that they are serious but incompetent.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »

Muslim Agorist,

This is off topic but what do you think of my responses in your "why 'they' hate 'us'?" thread.

As for the topic, it does sound as if this is the work of agent provocateurs. Would anyone who was serious make their identities so plainly obvious? Although it could be that they are serious but incompetent.

Did I never respond to that? I thought it was genius. A number of my favored scholars have argued that the Wahhabi/Salafi/Al Qaeda thing, what ever you want to call it is a resurgence of the Kharijite mentality. I liked your term, takfiris, because that really does drive the point to people that waffle around the meaning of jihad.

The only reservation I have... and this very very speculative... is that the Kharijites were the anarchists of the early schism. The Sunni and Shia essentially split over a conflict of political leadership, not theology. The theological differences have crept in over time. The Kharijites were the ones who said, "no, our oaths were to Muhammad and no one else. You have no authority, so piss off." I have a lot of sympathy for that stance. The Sunni and Shia both developed a kind of social contract theory where political allegiance could be established by tacit consent and not explicit oaths like it had been in Muhammad's time. The Kharijites rejected all that. So I question whether or not the negative characterization of Kharijites isn't skewed by a long history of propaganda from the camps that survived. I haven't done the research to have a firm opinion about that, but I intend to. Just a suspicion.

~Prophet Muhammad

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How should I deal with threatening hate mail?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.