Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How many countries other than Holland have decriminalized Marijuana?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many countries other than Holland have decriminalized Marijuana?  (Read 5391 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile

How many?  I had someone ask and I really did not know the answer.  Maybe one of you fine folks will know the answer.

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
Re: How many countries other than Holland have decriminalized Marijuana?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »

Portugal and Mexico have both decriminalized the possession of small amounts of drugs including marijuana. Other than that, I don't know.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

It's not really decriminalized in Holland, only partially.  Spain and Uruguay have some of the least bad marijuana laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

fatcat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »

In switzerland its legal to grow and sell "hemp" with any chemical content as long as it is not sold to be smoked.

10 out of 26 cantons have legalized cannabis consumption.

Though there are occasional raids on suppliers by the federal government, I believe these are few and far between (at least few enough that there could be hundreds of shops selling cannabis).

Overall, enforcement varies substantially depending on the canton.[52] Some tolerate limited public consumption[53] while others periodically attempt to limit it. Nationwide, police registered some 27,000 cannabis-related infractions in 1999

So depends where you are in switzerland.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

Portugal and Mexico, Spain and Uruguay, Denver, Cali...I see a pattern.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »

What pattern? 

The person I was talking to was with the coast guard.  I was explaining that Industrial Hemp a plant which no one could get high from was made illegal by the drug war.  And that the drug war was what actually made the streets dangerous.  That you don't see Jim Beam shooting up Jack Daniels operation and distribution chain.  However during prohibition gang shootouts and violence were common.  Then he came up with the if it is so great why haven't other countries legalized it.  I said other countries have.  I said Holland.  He said they don't count they aren't an industrial country.  Then I said that Canada, and Mexico as well as China have decriminalized the growing of Industrial Hemp.  And that in China they even have the death penalty for possession of the drug variant Marijuana.   Why is it our law enforcement is deemed too stupid to tell the difference between the drug variant and the non-drug variant so that Industrial Hemp can be grown here?  Then he went to the if you don't agree with the laws vote out the law makers BS argument.   

I wish I had brushed up on the current status of hemp and marijuana.  I hope some how the free staters do make a difference.   I think the politicos kind of need to lighten up on the protesters.  Cause even if you get the weak as water medical marijuana bill through it not much of a victory.  And the protesters need to lighten up on the politicos and start voting or participating in local votes where you may actually make a difference.  If you study the civil rights movement the protesters worked with the politicos not against each other.   They used a two prong attack on the their agenda the sooner both groups realize that is what is needed in this situation the better. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »

I've heard that, because word "decriminalized" might be used a little differently in different countries (ex. legal system dating back to the Napolionic Code instead of the English Common Law), places like Portugal shouldn't really count...  Not sure how true that is.

BonerJoe

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:28:26 AM »

What pattern? 

The person I was talking to was with the coast guard.  I was explaining that Industrial Hemp a plant which no one could get high from was made illegal by the drug war.  And that the drug war was what actually made the streets dangerous.  That you don't see Jim Beam shooting up Jack Daniels operation and distribution chain.  However during prohibition gang shootouts and violence were common.  Then he came up with the if it is so great why haven't other countries legalized it.  I said other countries have.  I said Holland.  He said they don't count they aren't an industrial country.  Then I said that Canada, and Mexico as well as China have decriminalized the growing of Industrial Hemp.  And that in China they even have the death penalty for possession of the drug variant Marijuana.   Why is it our law enforcement is deemed too stupid to tell the difference between the drug variant and the non-drug variant so that Industrial Hemp can be grown here?  Then he went to the if you don't agree with the laws vote out the law makers BS argument.   

I wish I had brushed up on the current status of hemp and marijuana.  I hope some how the free staters do make a difference.   I think the politicos kind of need to lighten up on the protesters.  Cause even if you get the weak as water medical marijuana bill through it not much of a victory.  And the protesters need to lighten up on the politicos and start voting or participating in local votes where you may actually make a difference.  If you study the civil rights movement the protesters worked with the politicos not against each other.   They used a two prong attack on the their agenda the sooner both groups realize that is what is needed in this situation the better. 

How's that whole converting people thing going?

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 12:39:57 AM »

How's that whole converting people thing going?

Actually other than this guy not so bad.  I was working all this past week on outreach.  I only had a few negative people like this guy.  I actually got many more democrat leaning people to agree and show more interest.  But the most rewarding thing was the increase in people who seemed to have come to realize that neither major party is representing them anymore.  Even with the low turn out vs other years I took in more contact request cards than in years past.  I was very surprised.  I have been working with outreach on an off since 1992 and it seemed more like the level of interest we received in 92.   Even an increase in LEAP inquiries. 

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:42:43 AM »

A coworker of mine brought up Colombia's legalization of possession of small amounts of, apparently, all drugs for personal use. I hadn't heard about it, but speculated that it was to reduce the power and funding of the cartels.

So, I look it up, and apparently it happened (according to what I've been able to discern) in the mid-90s, for the exact reason I guessed, go figure. Don't know what it's like now, but the funny thing is my coworker tried blaming poverty levels on the legal drugs. She's one of those "protect the children from drugs" types, and didn't get that drug use isn't the only cause of being "poor."

But I digress. Add Colombia to the mix, pending someone else's knowledge or less-lazy-than-me research, I guess.
Bushi no ichi-gon

fatcat

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »

I've heard that, because word "decriminalized" might be used a little differently in different countries (ex. legal system dating back to the Napolionic Code instead of the English Common Law), places like Portugal shouldn't really count...  Not sure how true that is.

I know a friend in portugal.

Apparently if you get caught with a quantity of drugs, you have to be sent to an evaluation panel of judges/psychiatrists/social workers, who will determine what treatment you need to get, i.e. rehab.

How many people actually get let off with no mandatory treatment im not sure.

And supply is still strongly punished, so there does not seem to be a great deal of difference between "decriminalized" and simply "very low punishment".

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »

I know a friend in portugal.

Apparently if you get caught with a quantity of drugs, you have to be sent to an evaluation panel of judges/psychiatrists/social workers, who will determine what treatment you need to get, i.e. rehab.

How many people actually get let off with no mandatory treatment im not sure.

And supply is still strongly punished, so there does not seem to be a great deal of difference between "decriminalized" and simply "very low punishment".

According to wiki, you are correct.

" Colombia    South America    Illegal
(Decriminalized)    Since 1994, cannabis has been decriminalized for possession of small amounts up to 1 gram for personal consumption, however sale and cultivation remains illegal.<Article text.[11]>"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How many countries other than Holland have decriminalized Marijuana?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 33 queries.