Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How far from your principles will you date?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How far from your principles will you date?  (Read 16330 times)

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
How far from your principles will you date?
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »

Since I've never met a lady in person who matches up with my pro-liberty principles, and those who have come close are already married or otherwise unavailable, I've started to wonder if I should stop considering a lady's political stance as a factor in my "standards".

I know there is a range of feeling about this in the liberty community, everything from "it really doesn't matter" to the Molyneuxian "if you date a statist you're going to ATHEIST HELL!" So I'm curious what you all think. I'm personally starting to think that if a lady "gets it" on a few issues and doesn't care enough to pick a fight about the rest, I might be okay with that.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: How far from your principles will you date?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:46:31 PM »

Been with my lady for 8 yrs. She says she didnt really think much about liberty and specific issues, but a liberty oriented position is presented to her she says something like "oh yeah, that makes sense.......... definitely........ never gonna happen though"  When I met her, I wasnt really thinking about how liberty oriented she was. That was the last thing on my mind at the time, but as it works out, I made a pretty good choice........... so did she :P

I think if I was back in the dating scene now, I would probably pay more attention to their outlook on life than I would have 8 yrs ago.

If she was really really hot though, I think I could ignore all that to be honest, and just have a not so deep superficial relationship for a while and enjoy while it lasted.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »

Since I've never met a lady in person who matches up with my pro-liberty principles, and those who have come close are already married or otherwise unavailable, I've started to wonder if I should stop considering a lady's political stance as a factor in my "standards".

I know there is a range of feeling about this in the liberty community, everything from "it really doesn't matter" to the Molyneuxian "if you date a statist you're going to ATHEIST HELL!" So I'm curious what you all think. I'm personally starting to think that if a lady "gets it" on a few issues and doesn't care enough to pick a fight about the rest, I might be okay with that.

Some years ago I dated a woman who was a flaming feminist/liberal, and we got into some bitter fights. But we broke up over other, unrelated things. When the Iraq war started in 2003, it was a bit comforting that we both thought it was wrong. (But I bet she would now be in favor of Obama's wars.)

At any rate, after the smoke cleared I realized how dumb it was to argue over politics. Since then I don't care what a woman's opinion about it is. I laugh at it all.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »

I am willing to bet that if loyalty is important to you, Pro- liberty women are not a way to go. Unless you want a open marriage. By definition Objectivist women will go with the "best" man if and when he comes along, all ties from before are severed no matter how deep the connection was. I have never met a real anarchist woman but I doubt loyalty is a important trait to them either. I believe politics is not something a couple should discuss very much. A practical compatibility and mutual respect are more important I think.
Also If shes hot enough, she could be a satanic royalist and I would still fuck her.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 03:58:12 PM »

That's a hard question.  I think that if the person is curious and open to discussion about politics, that is probably more important than the matter of whether their political views are the same as yours to start with.  Who says your views are perfect?  Maybe she has some arguments that could challenge what you think?  

I won't pretend that my political views haven't been affected by those of guys I've dated, but am pretty sure mine have affected theirs just as much.  Maybe you should aim for women who care about politics, even if their views are very different from yours, and then have a good time alternating between arguing and making sweet sweet love (or both at the same time, if that suits you). 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 03:59:59 PM by Rillion »

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »

I have never met a real anarchist woman but I doubt loyalty is a important trait to them either.

Why shouldn't it be? I'm an anarchist, and it's important to me. And I'm a man, who are much less loyalty-minded in general than women.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »

I am willing to bet that if loyalty is important to you, Pro- liberty women are not a way to go. Unless you want a open marriage. By definition Objectivist women will go with the "best" man if and when he comes along, all ties from before are severed no matter how deep the connection was. I have never met a real anarchist woman but I doubt loyalty is a important trait to them either. I believe politics is not something a couple should discuss very much. A practical compatibility and mutual respect are more important I think.
Also If shes hot enough, she could be a satanic royalist and I would still fuck her.

For 40-odd years I have tried to categorize women based on what they've said, or what they've done, and then predict what they will do under circumstance X. Haha, it rarely works out, and when it did I think I just happened to guess correctly. (I think women also find men to be somewhat unpredictable). However, after years or decades of being together, a lot of this probably goes out the window.

There are always an infinite amount of variables in human life (and thought) that confuse events. Or so it seems to me. :(

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »

I have never met a real anarchist woman but I doubt loyalty is a important trait to them either.

Why shouldn't it be? I'm an anarchist, and it's important to me. And I'm a man, who are much less loyalty-minded in general than women.

Women in general will take the best they can get, they are not more loyal then men, they just don't feel any guilt when they leave. Hell most woman I have seen cheat are proud of it.
I don't know any anarchist personally IRL. I was mainly going from Objectivist, like I said they go for the better partner by definition.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »

I suppose they would, but I'm not a Randian and wouldn't want to date (or marry) one. I do consider myself a "small-o" objectivist, but that's not quite the same thing.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »

Of course for any women answering, the question is purely academic.  They aren't faced with the same limitation of choices.  When a liberty-loving woman shows up in NH, it's like a fucking buffet.  You can fill your plate up right away or sample everything first and then fill your plate up or just keep sampling or whatever.  You can also just tease the crap out of a bunch of guys and get them thinking they have a snowballs chance in (atheist) Hell of hooking up with you at some vague point in the future and get a bunch of guys bending over backwards to do all kinds of shit for you and solve all your problems.  Watched it happen.  Wished I had popcorn.

BonerJoe

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »

People who are "retarded" annoy me, so if I can't stand to be around them then I certainly can't stand to date them.

Fucking, is of course, a completely different thing.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »

Of course for any women answering, the question is purely academic.  They aren't faced with the same limitation of choices.  When a liberty-loving woman shows up in NH, it's like a fucking buffet.  You can fill your plate up right away or sample everything first and then fill your plate up or just keep sampling or whatever.  You can also just tease the crap out of a bunch of guys and get them thinking they have a snowballs chance in (atheist) Hell of hooking up with you at some vague point in the future and get a bunch of guys bending over backwards to do all kinds of shit for you and solve all your problems.  Watched it happen.  Wished I had popcorn.

Haha, the old saying "She's sitting on a gold mine" comes to mind. They do run the the world, but they don't quite realize it.

davann

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

Actually, I would go with the direct opposite in political views. Life is long and relationships tend to fizzle with out several areas you and your partner spark in. What is far more important is if your partner is going to be there for you in your darkest times. There are going to be times we all fuck up bad. It is good to have person willing to stick with you through the shit. And of course, sandwich making ability is vital.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »

Of course for any women answering, the question is purely academic.  They aren't faced with the same limitation of choices.  When a liberty-loving woman shows up in NH, it's like a fucking buffet.

Don't overstate things.  It's like saying that a woman who shows up at a singles' bar will only go home alone if she chooses to.  Maybe so, but having thirty options of shit on a plate still means having to choose shit on a plate. 

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »

After reading through this thread I think maybe women who are not particularly liberty oriented but slightly malleable are the best bet. Actually Dales post put it best, and scared the hell out of me.
Relationships are pretty much a crap shoot, this is coming from both from Mr. Branlin and my own father who has been married to the same woman for 41 years.
Good luck. :shock:

Libertarian men= shit on a plate, apparently. Me thinks my wife would agree right now. :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:58:13 PM by alaric89 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How far from your principles will you date?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.