Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How do you guys do it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you guys do it?  (Read 5272 times)

AbsurdParadox

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
How do you guys do it?
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:05:19 PM »

You know, I spend a lot of time in libertarian/pro-free-market arguments in other forums online... usually refuting poor assumptions. My favorite one is where someone thinks libertarians are all assholes who are trying to create slave-labor monopolies. How do you guys keep from just getting frustrated and completely giving up?

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: How do you guys do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:18:14 PM »

libertarians are all assholes who are trying to create slave-labor monopolies.

This IS true though...you haven't been to the secret meetings apparently. How do we do it? When it looks like all sane arguments won't work we just blow the person we're arguing with until they give in.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »

This IS true though...you haven't been to the secret meetings apparently. How do we do it? When it looks like all sane arguments won't work we just blow the person we're arguing with until they give in.

I disagree entirely with you.  None of your arguments will work with me.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

AbsurdParadox

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »

Its all suddenly so clear!

Seriously, lets start a libertarian cabal. I've always liked cloaks.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:33:21 PM »

You know, I spend a lot of time in libertarian/pro-free-market arguments in other forums online... usually refuting poor assumptions. My favorite one is where someone thinks libertarians are all assholes who are trying to create slave-labor monopolies. How do you guys keep from just getting frustrated and completely giving up?

To answer your question seriously, I don't argue libertarianism with folk over message boards anymore. It's just pointless to me, because folk aren't interested in listening or understanding but fighting.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »

Does that mean I'm not getting my blow job?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:56:05 PM »

That rule only applies for non-libertarians Brock you should know that! Weren't you at the last Bohemian Grove meeting??

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 09:58:09 PM »

A sense of humor helps. It must be hell for a True Believer who can't laugh at oneself from time to time.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:13:40 PM »

That rule only applies for non-libertarians Brock you should know that! Weren't you at the last Bohemian Grove meeting??

Just another reason why no sane person would be libertarian.  All the perks go away.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:57:15 AM »

First, come to grips with the hardest part of Libertarianism. You don't exist to convince others, satisfy their needs, or save the world.

Second, don't go to some non-political forum with the agenda of convincing people. You just be competing for air on an already poor signal to noise ratio soapbox.

Third, the core of what we are, really, is people who want to be left alone. Fire in the belly is fine and good, when you believe in a cause passionately, but when you give up what freedom you have to tilting at windmills/pissing into the wind, it only wastes your life.

Four, live a life of freedom. Do as you see fit. Live by the NAP. Don't lie, cheat or steal from people. And when put to the test, take the moral high ground. Say so when asked about it. People will start to respect you and your opinions. Then when they ask you what you believe in, (When you know them well enough.) then tell them, in light, non lecturing words, without the suggestion of condemnation of people you disagree with. You can convert people to Libertarianism, but only one person at a time. It's an individualist view that requires individualist methods. I have been a Libertarian since I was eighteen, and in that time, I have introduced four people successfully to freedom. My wife, (At the age of 38, Former Republican) My Father, (Aged 59, he's just read Atlas Shrugged, and is getting into The Fountainhead.) My Father in law, (May he have peace. He voted non-republican for the first time in his life, for Michael Badnarick, at the age of sixty-three.) and my best friend since the age of twelve. (Aged 32, was a violent nihilist type anarchist, turned capitalist hero.) That's it for all that time.

Just remember, being free also means not enslaving yourself to others.

I fought and fought for fucking years, to get people to listen. You can't get people to listen by fighting them. Reach for the ideal in yourself, and people will see that natural charisma that comes from true self esteem, and be attracted to it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:59:22 AM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 01:01:22 AM »

First, come to grips with the hardest part of Libertarianism. You don't exist to convince others, satisfy their needs, or save the world.

+1

Charles

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »

We do it from behind of course.

Seriously though, the way I do it on the literature forums I go to is usually I just post some stuff in my signature or something, and hope they ask me about it.  It's hard to convince people who don't already have an open mind for it to all the sudden up into libertarianism.  It's a tough road to hoe, so to speak.

dmgov

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Umm.. ohh snoochie boochies..
    • View Profile
    • TheSharkTank
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:30:38 AM »

I only talk to like minded people now, keeps me from going nuts. I only talk to "non-liberty" minded people when they have a question and I will help educate them until they start arguing, then I just walk away after saying "you will figure it out" 
"A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance."
— Hunter S. Thompson

Travis

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 06:44:57 AM »

Governments murder people.

Your government murders people.

Individuals can not control their government.

You can not control your government. (NSFW - You prob don't want to see)

Advocating government means advocating mass murder. Period.

Government is a system that is based in violence and commits violence on a grand scale. Violence is not civil. Civilized people do not form governments, savages do.

---------------------------

If you believe in government I consider you a savage.
If after presented with the facts you continue to believe in government you remain a savage and I have no more use for you than I have for a pet or work animal.

The savages currently out number the civilized by degrees. It is not good to piss off a pack of animals whether they be bulls or savage men. It is best to find other civilized people and give the savages a few more generations to evolve. Believing you can convince most savages to be civilized is naive. Most savages are domesticated enough not to be individually violent under most circumstances. They are clever and evolved enough to mostly commit violence only when it is approved of by the rest of the pack, else they may be on the other end of the violence. So when around savages it is best not to do things the pack disagrees with.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:53:03 AM by Travis »

AbsurdParadox

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »

You guys are totally right about forums.  I'm not to worried abuot convincing people... just correcting people who like to spout bad information, but I think I'm giving up on that as well... it seems to always become the non-libertarians calling the libertarians crazy, the libertarians having a nice circle jerk, and then MAYBE one person who really is interested in it or hasn't heard of it, haha.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How do you guys do it?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.