Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How can people justify mandatory vaccination?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can people justify mandatory vaccination?  (Read 1430 times)

Pizzly

• View Profile
How can people justify mandatory vaccination?
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »

I support a voluntary form of mandatory vaccination by schools, hospitals, insurance companies, businesses, etc., but recently I've been getting opposition from supposed supporters of liberty. I don't know how a person can call themselves a libertarian and support violent force to require someone to get a vaccine, I don't see how not getting a vaccine violates the NAP. I can maybe understand how having an active infection while associating with others may be an initiation of force, but how can inaction be an initiation of force?
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: How can people justify mandatory vaccination?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »

Knowingly harboring and transporting forms of life that are by nature dangerous maybe?

<<<Not in favor of forced vaccination, just thinking about a rationale.

I mean, I guess you could argue that you are responsible for the actions of your dog if it bites someone. Maybe you could argue that you are in possession of dangerous animals if you knowingly refuse to get a vaccination and someone gets sick as a result.

Remember how AIDS got its foothold in the U.S. originally? A large portion of the first cases were most likely because of this asshole -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga%C3%ABtan_Dugas

Dude was a sociopath who knew he was sick and didn't give a shit. Had sex with hundreds of people.

Obviously there's no vaccine for AIDS and people didn't even know what the fuck at the time, but you get where I'm going with this.

If you are walking around with a big open bucket of poison and it's slopping all over the place and splashing people, you have culpability.

Can I force you to seal the bucket or stop carrying it? Possibly in self defense, yeah. Arguable, obviously.

I am glad we have cures and vaccinations. Whether you take them or not is... Well, up to you. Having said that, if your kid shows up to school (Public or private, doesn't matter.) with fuckin' polio or smallpox or some shit because you didn't get the little yuppie larva a vaccination, you'd be responsible for all of those scarred up and crippled kids, if you ask me.

*Shrug*

I imagine in a voluntary society you probably couldn't get around very well in cities, what with the "No vaccinations, no service." signs everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:59:07 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

blackie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »

Violation of NAP

Having said that, if your kid shows up to school (Public or private, doesn't matter.) with fuckin' polio or smallpox or some shit because you didn't get the little yuppie larva a vaccination, you'd be responsible for all of those scarred up and crippled kids, if you ask me.
I'm not sure why the vaccination would come into it. If the kid was vaccinated and does the same thing, shouldn't the parents still be held responsible?

If a vaccinated kid gives something to an unvaccinated kid, and the unvaccinated kid passes that on to other people, who is responsible?

I imagine in a voluntary society you probably couldn't get around very well in cities, what with the "No vaccinations, no service." signs everywhere.
Because people obey signs.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »

Good question Piz.

Seems to me, the only people that would be at risk of infection from an unvaccinated person, would be OTHER people that were unvaccinated.

So how about we just go with this rule......

You dont get vaccinated, you run the risk of infection, and if you infect someone else, well, they were responsible for their own infection for not getting vaccinated as well.

Nature will eventually weed out the dummies, or not, depending on how serious the particular disease is in the first place.

Imagine this...... There is a virus that can infect one person just by mere eye contact with an infected person......... all it takes to get infected is an infected person to glance at you.  Now imagine how incredibly fast EVERYONE would go out and get themselves vaccinated. Well, pretty much everyone. The ones that didn't would be killed off, worldwide in a matter of minutes and the disease would no longer exist because the virus would no longer have any hosts left. Now slow this process down 1 million times. Thats what were dealing with currently, right now. Its just a difference in speed ultimately.

Its just a matter of personal responsibility. You dont wanna get vaccinated? Fine, take your chances. I dont care. Its your life..... do with it what you want.

Im a dummy. I dont get vaccinations.......... for anything. I'm quitting smoking in 2 days. I can only handle so much healthy living at a time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:14:58 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:06 AM »

Violation of NAP

Having said that, if your kid shows up to school (Public or private, doesn't matter.) with fuckin' polio or smallpox or some shit because you didn't get the little yuppie larva a vaccination, you'd be responsible for all of those scarred up and crippled kids, if you ask me.
I'm not sure why the vaccination would come into it. If the kid was vaccinated and does the same thing, shouldn't the parents still be held responsible?

If a vaccinated kid gives something to an unvaccinated kid, and the unvaccinated kid passes that on to other people, who is responsible?

Because people obey signs.

Yeah, there you go. I didn't give it much thought, frankly. I don't have kids and I don't get boosters or flu shots or whatever.

Also, on your point with signs, there's no way in a free society to know if someone got vaccinations or not, so it's all moot.

Does make me wonder how quarantines could be handled. Epi/pandemics *have* happened and how one could be handled is an interesting puzzle to figure out.

Now, in the real world, like, not in libertopia, I guess if you put your kids into the public schools, I guess you have to play by their rules. *Shrug*
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  How can people justify mandatory vaccination?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.