Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Here is how to grow a college LP group
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here is how to grow a college LP group  (Read 2365 times)

TN_FSP

Here is how to grow a college LP group
« on: January 17, 2006, 11:33:46 PM »

http://www.hoosiergazette.com/2005/March/features/feature001.asp

Clever marketing techniques cause college Libertarian ranks to swell

By Toby Jesop, THG Features

On most college campuses, just like in the national political arena, the Libertarian Party (LP) is a bit of an afterthought.  The LP’s promotion of an extremely limited government doesn’t appeal to the masses the way “catch-all” parties such as the Republican and Democratic parties do; thus it has been hard for Libertarians to gain enough support to make inroads in American’s two-party system.

Creative marketing has resulted in a strange phenomenon this year at Ball State University.

BSU’s student Libertarian organization has quickly become the most popular political organization on campus, now boasting a higher number of members than the both the school’s student Republican and Democrat organizations.

It all started when Chris Frazier was elected president of Ball State’s college LP at the end of last year by the group’s other four members.

Frazier, a marketing major from South Bend, had a few creative ideas on how to get the word out about the party and attract new members.

“It is well known that Ball State is a party school, and many students come here to partake in the party atmosphere.  I had the idea to embrace this image and relate it to our organization,” said Frazier.

At the start of the fall semester, Frazier and company began hanging posters around campus with giant marijuana leaves and the slogan “Libertarians believe drugs should be legalized!” painted on them.  The group later began handing out free BSU College Libertarian t-shirts that took stabs at the two major parties.  One shirt depicted a businessman smoking a doobie and the slogan “Kind of like the Republicans but a lot more fun”.  Another had a cartoon of a smiling woman with a hand full of money and the slogan “All the freedoms, none of taxes”.   

In November, the LP began sponsoring monthly keg parties off campus open to anyone interested in the Libertarian Party where they could learn about its platform while having a little fun.

This clever approach created a buzz on campus that resulted in dozens of students joining the Ball State LP, whose ranks now include over 250 members, making it the largest college LP group in the country.

The national Libertarian Party has noticed the success they have enjoyed at Ball State as a result of Frazier’s work.  He is taking the fall semester off from school so the party can send him on a tour of college campuses around the country to share his ideas with other college Libertarian groups.

For more information about the Indiana Libertarian Party, go to www.lpin.org

I cannot wait till 2008 and I move to New Hamphsire.  I'll work to get this happening in NH.

bushwacker

Re: Here is how to grow a college LP group
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:22:07 AM »

Tried any of this yourself?

TN_FSP

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:23:42 AM »

Tried any of this yourself?

Hell no.  I'm too busy getting drunk every night to give others beer.

bushwacker

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:43:06 PM »

GJ way to promo liberty :\

TN_FSP

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:14:50 PM »

GJ way to promo liberty :\

What?

If I live within 30 min. of a college in NH, I'll work with any campus pro-freedom groups.

bushwacker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 03:11:03 AM »

OK thats good. I tried that once over here, but they were pretty 'my way or the highway' so I gave up on them.

fourthgeek

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 11:25:36 PM »

I'm going to try holding Operation Politically Homeless here in my high school, within the next few weeks.

Then start a libertarian group in college.

bushwacker

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 10:20:45 PM »

Cool good luck. Have copies of the "world's smallest political quiz"? Those seem to be pretty popular amongst students.

carkmouch

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 03:21:07 PM »

Interesting stuff

I just put on my first Libertarians meeting last night.  About 7 people were there, but it was just an informal meeting, and I'm sure that when we become a real organization we'll get some more people.

There are 52 members currently in my Libertarians facebook group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Here is how to grow a college LP group

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 30 queries.