Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Has anyone tried Acupuncture? How was it?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Acupuncture? How was it?  (Read 5209 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried Acupuncture? How was it?
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »

Just wondering if people who have had acupuncture could tell if it worked.  And if so do you think it was placibo effect or felt real improvement.  If it isn't too personal what did you seek acupuncture treatment for?

BonerJoe

Re: Has anyone tried Acupuncture? How was it?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »

I dunno if it was my back healing or the acupuncture, but it sure seemed to work. Even if it was me just thinking it would work...

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »

How good can it be? It's fake.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

BonerJoe

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »

Is it?

Skooma

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »

My grandfather was an acupunturist and herbalist IIRC.

I got treatment from someone like that for my allergies. I was giving a bitter black potion and got seeds taped to my ear. I still have allergies and the potion I believe caused some stomach problems.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:59:01 PM »

Is it?

Yeah. It works great for vague pains. But then, so do sugar pills. For anything real, it's useless. 

Next time you go in for major surgery and they offer you an anesthetic, say, "No thanks. I'll take the needles."

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »

Problems with reading comprehension?  I wanted to hear from people who have had it done. 

I was looking at some books on the history of acupuncture in the library.  It said they think it originated from some piercing battlefield injury resulting in the remission of some other condition.  And that is how the idea originated that various points on the body correspond to electrical circuitry of the human body.   I didn't see any books the scientific study of acupuncture.   I suppose I could look that up.  Just curious really. 

Interesting thing while I was looking up info on acupuncture.  I found out that the schools run around 14k per year in tuition and another 3k for living, books and lab fees.  It is a two year masters degree level course and accredited in the US as a Masters degree.  They also have a BS in it as well which qualifies for federal student loans.   Also found out that Blue Cross Blue Shield will pay for Acupuncture treatments.  So why would medical insurance pay for something that is fake?

rabidfurby

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »

And if so do you think it was placibo effect or felt real improvement.

The entire point of the placebo effect is that the person who experienced it doesn't know that it was a placebo effect. To them, it was real, and they really felt better and got healthier.

I was looking at some books on the history of acupuncture in the library.  It said they think it originated from some piercing battlefield injury resulting in the remission of some other condition.  And that is how the idea originated that various points on the body correspond to electrical circuitry of the human body

Bloodletting probably has a very interesting history as well.

I didn't see any books the scientific study of acupuncture.

There probably hasn't been any. I'd be surprised if there have been any serious double-blind studies done of acupuncture, both because of the hostility most alternative-medicine people have to the scientific method, and because of the difficulty of doing a double-blind study of shoving needles into someone.

Without true scientific evidence, stick to the null hypothesis - acupuncture is no more effective than a placebo.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 01:14:06 AM »

A system to do a double blind study of Acupuncture.  http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/7/31
A double blind study and it showed no difference in pain management over placebo effect.  http://www.openmedicine.ca/article/view/189/234

I wonder how they manage to get a placebo effect to work on horses, dogs and cats?  Because there is veterinary acupuncture.   It is done for pain relief and mobility in animals.  And how do they manage to get infants to go along with the placebo effect?  There is acupuncture for colic babies and they do stop crying.  Seems to me poke a kid with a needle they would scream even louder not calm down.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 01:21:41 AM »

The entire point of the placebo effect is that the person who experienced it doesn't know that it was a placebo effect. To them, it was real, and they really felt better and got healthier.

This is hilarious.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »

Fat headed jerk comment.

Some people can re-evaluate things in retrospect and realize that it was their own belief in a treatment which actually worked vs the treatment itself.   Or at the very least they suspect it.

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »

It's a great placebo. Studies have shown that it works just as well as any other placebo. However there is negative scientific evidence that says it doesn't cure stuff. It will help with your pain because you'll think it's helping with your pain.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »

Acupuncture became popular in the West after Mao came to power. One of the communist's big sell points was universal health care. Trouble was, actual health care is expensive. So instead, the communists replaced it with traditional Chinese medicine, which is about as effective as traditional Western medicine; that is, not very.

But you have to balance out the fact that it doesn't actually work with the fact that it is at least very cheap.

There is a tendency in the West for some people to figure something must be good if it originated elsewhere and has been around for a long time.

There are plenty of crappy studies that show Acupuncture (or any other pseudo-medicine) to "work." But real double-blind studies show it to be entirely worthless.

Oh, sure--you can always find someone who tried it for some mild disorder (which always grows in the retelling). But you just aren't going to find many who used it during their last open heart surgery.

My dad had great luck treating his arthritis with Mississippi mud packs.

BonerJoe

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:28:28 AM »

The immune system response around the needles after they're inserted may be having a curative effect on the dis-ease at that location.

davann

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

Acupuncture became popular in the West after Mao came to power. One of the communist's big sell points was universal health care.

Well that selling point and the other one where he was killing everyone who stood up and disagreed with him.

Sorry off topic.

I tend to agree with Mike on this one. Just cause it came from China doesn't mean it is worth anything. If fact, I'd say it means the opposite. Never trust anything out of China.

That being said, I would give acupunture a go. What's the harm?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Has anyone tried Acupuncture? How was it?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.