Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Handwriting
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Handwriting  (Read 8720 times)

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
Handwriting
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:31:19 AM »

As a kid, I worked in the family lumber yard and helped my father and grandfather at the drafting board.  It was second nature to me to use an ink pen for invoices and a pencil for everything else, always printing.

In high school, senior comp or some class like that, I was downgraded by the teacher for using a pencil and printing.  I was told, "you'll never survive college."  Joke's on her, as I went to an engineering school where everyone used a pencil and printed.

But, that was a couple of years ago.  It just occurred to me, though, I can't remember the last time I saw a handwritten note (other than from my grandmother) in cursive.

Does anyone write any more (excluding signatures)?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

BonerJoe

Re: Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »

I can barely write any more, after using computers for so many years. And when I do, I have to write in all capital letters to be legible.

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:03:17 AM »

I can barely write any more, after using computers for so many years. And when I do, I have to write in all capital letters to be legible.

Same here.  Hell I can't even sign my name legible, never have been able to.  Doctors have better signatures than I do.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:17:27 AM »

I write all the time, but never use cursive.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 03:37:11 AM »

I can write legibly and reasonably quickly in lower case, but certainly not anything fancy like proper cursive.

I was always getting shit about it in school to though. Never improved, but I think everyone else's got worse.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »

I had to relearn cursive when my daughter was having trouble with it in school. I seldom use it though.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:36:03 AM »

I haven't used pure cursive since elementary school.  When taking notes in biochem I will occasionaly use a blend of cursive and print for speed, but I doubt its useful to anybody but myself.  If I'm handrwriting for someone else it will be in print.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mr. Binary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 05:50:30 AM »

I'm a programmer, so I type all day, but I offset it by making notes in cursive.
I have a nice Lamy Studio filled with Noodler's for that.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

I started working in software around the time I started engineering school and worked my way though school for the better part of a decade.  I found that by the time I took the graduate writing test (an essay they made us write as a literacy requirement) my writing capability had already seriously deteriorated.  

What I remember most from that damned test is that I hadn't written so much by hand since early high school (because in late high school, I typed reports on a typewriter) and my hands were the sorest I ever remember.  They were cramping up at the end.

I gave myself tennis elbow while building closets in the basement over the summer, from turning so damned many screws (even with the power drill) but even that wasn't as hard on my hands, as I recall.

Having written almost exclusively notes, a few words at a time, since then, I'm sure my writing strength is now far worse.

Oh, I do occasionally force my self to write in longhand so I don't somehow lose the skill (my writing was never much good anyway.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:48:48 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »

I've always thought that cursive was one of the dumber things we learned in school. It has little practical knowledge outside of class and we could have been learning math or science or better reading skills at that young age (3rd grade?). I hand-write myself notes and essays and schemes all the time. Perhaps my writing is still OK because I still use checks, enjoy writing on college ruled paper, and I love good pen. I rate the pens I find on a 1-10 scale sometimes if they're good enough :)
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »

We probably had to learn cursive just to fill in time, since teachers don't want to be bothered nowadays with actual teaching.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

I've got books and books full of notes I've been taking over the past few years from various talks and lectures, so my handwriting is holding up pretty well.   Never in cursive, though, except for signatures and the occasional "z" because I just like how it looks. 

My father was forced in school to switch from writing with his left to his right hand, which might be why he now writes in blocky all-caps like an architect.  Nobody tried to stop me from being a lefty so I write pretty normally, but almost wish I wrote like that:

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »

Heh, interesting subject.

My handwriting was never good, but I've always been good at printing. Especially after taking drafting long before computers came on the scene.

Now? LOL, the only thing I write by hand are shopping lists, or little reminder notes around my work PC. Anything more than that I do it on the PC and print it out, if I need a hard copy. I don't even LIKE to write any more. :(

Riddler

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »

in another generation, there won't be writing utensils, 'cept in the museums
mark (w/ a keypad please) my words

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »

I handwrite a lot. I'm a compulsive note-taker.

Several years ago, I thought I might be "fun" to write a novel in cursive, the way I used to years ago before word processors. I'd forgotten just how much work it was! Of course, I then had to input the entire 80K-word text into the computer.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Handwriting

// ]]>

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 32 queries.