Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Halp.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Halp.  (Read 11036 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Halp.
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »

So in a few weeks I shall be embarking on a journey from Florida to Illinois with presumably only what can fit into my 2-door Honda Accord.  I know it's not a lot, but you do what you can.  Do any of you guys have any tips on moving across the country?  I have a friend's mom wanting to go with so that I don't go alone, but I really don't know for sure.  She has a kid in school so I might just have to go by myself.  Thanks. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

Re: Halp.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »

So in a few weeks I shall be embarking on a journey from Florida to Illinois with presumably only what can fit into my 2-door Honda Accord.  I know it's not a lot, but you do what you can.  Do any of you guys have any tips on moving across the country?  I have a friend's mom wanting to go with so that I don't go alone, but I really don't know for sure.  She has a kid in school so I might just have to go by myself.  Thanks. 

This question is incomplete. 

Are you having any issues with your parents storing your shit temporarily?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

Contingency plan. If ya have any existing car problems, maybe get the location of a dealer or two in the towns you'll be passing through on the way. Have someone to check in with from time to time.. get a cell phone charger for the car.

Before you go, check: air pressure in the tires, coolant, belts/hoses condition, oil - check again on the way.

Drive during daylight hours, maybe avoid hitting the major cities during rush hour & stop at my house and make me a pie.

Jizzie live in IL?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Bill Brasky

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

Contingency plan. If ya have any existing car problems, maybe get the location of a dealer or two in the towns you'll be passing through on the way. Have someone to check in with from time to time.. get a cell phone charger for the car.

Before you go, check: air pressure in the tires, coolant, belts/hoses condition, oil - check again on the way.

Drive during daylight hours, maybe avoid hitting the major cities during rush hour & stop at my house and make me a pie.

Jizzie live in IL?

No no no, thats complicated and awful.

Get triple-a.  Jesus, bro.  This ain't a stagecoach drive through indian territory.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

bring a map.  Get a cooler filled with Bologna sandwiches.  Lots of caffeine.    Don't tie your dog to the bumper. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

rabidfurby

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:30:47 AM »

Bring some podcasts or audiobooks or something for when listening to music gets boring.

Drink water. A lot of it. Being dehydrated will make you feel like shit, and the heat of the car and caffeine will make it worse. Most gas stations sell 2-liter bottles in addition to the dinky little 16-oz things. If you stop at a grocery store, they'll have gallon jugs.

Avoid rush hour traffic, though that really goes without saying.

A couple-hour nap at a rest stop works wonders.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »

Jizzie live in IL?
This.  All good tips.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

davann

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »

A couple-hour nap at a rest stop works wonders.

Avoid rest stops. They are filled with strange people looking for NSA sex and other unsavory things. You would be safe from the Highway patrol man cruising for a blo n go due to your gender, but there are plenty of other weirdos.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:18:24 PM by davann »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »

Drink the whole way and shoot pistols out the windows. 

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »

I did the same thing last year (cept to NH).

Going by yourself allows you to put more in your car.  If you arrange for somewhere to spend the night before you go, that will allow you to put even more stuff in your car (because you won't need to take a nap in your car which would likely mean you would put your seat back quite a bit).  Maybe you could spend the night with Joy in GA?   If you are filling adventures, stop at a tourist attraction along the way.  For example, in the Chattanooga, TN, just over the border in GA is Lookout Mountain.  You can see seven states from the top of it.

If you decide to drive straight through, bring lots of caffeine and water.  Feel free to eat a few meals during the trip but not anything close to a large meal.  Eating big meals is more likely to make you tired.

Even if you have a GPS, print out maps for the whole trip.  Try to stay on the interstates.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 02:54:16 PM »

Remove batteries from all your sex toys prior to packing.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »

Drive at night.  Less traffic, less eye strain, less heat.  Engine runs cooler and air conditioner doesn't work as hard.  Better for gas mileage and nicer to your car.  10% over the speed limit has never got me pulled over.  Think about renting a cartop carrier.  Use every cubic foot.  Squishy things fill irregular gaps.  You won't have vision out of your rearview or likely to your right so adjust your right mirror outward to eliminate the blindspot and your left inward to double as a rearview, make sure to look over your shoulder when merging left.  Or, rent a uhaul and tow the car.  It's 1224 miles.  You can average 60 easily if you drive 70-80. That's 2 ten hour days.  It's significant how stopping or slowing for traffic or construction can hurt your average speed.  Follow anyone going faster than you so long as you give them at least 20 seconds of space.  Reserve a room someplace not too urban for lower rates and a little farther than halfway if possible.  Cities of 80-100K, not close to a military base or huge mega-corp plant like an oil refinery are your safest bet to avoid ghetto.  Put a little extra air in the tires for better fuel economy.  .Avoid cities during rush hour, factor that in when you're deciding when to leave.  Eat one good meal a day.

If it were me, I know 900 miles is well within my range.  I'd get everything ready the night before abd have everything I'm going to need til chicago in one backpack.  Leave about 3am, minutes after I awoke and be checking into a hotel about 5ish.  That leaves you time for a liesurely evening, you can even do something touristy, take a swim in the morning, the last 300 miles are easy.  OR, go right to sleep, naturally wake up probably by midnight and in chicago for breakfast on day 2.  I'd wait to see how I felt when I checked into the hotel.  If I was in a car that could safely cruise 110-120 I might do it in one day.  You can't maintain those speeds all the time of course.  I'd be satisfied with an 15-17hou drive.

Riddler

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »

scrape off the ''i hate niggers and spics'' bumper stickers....

get a good radar detector
tomtom gps (@ $100)
check these sites & write down pertinent info as it relates to your planned route  >>>>>http://www.speedtrapped.com/  , and >>> http://www.speedtrap.org/speed-traps/find/

throw a handgun under the seat
get some ''little white pills''
beef jerky
beads, trinkets & shiny metal objects for trading w/ the indians
a kkk hood & robe (just in case you need to blend in)

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

scrape off the ''i hate niggers and spics'' bumper stickers....

You would never put this on your car, right Linz?  :D

Pocho

Bill Brasky

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »

Drive at night.  Less traffic, less eye strain, less heat.  Engine runs cooler and air conditioner doesn't work as hard.  Better for gas mileage and nicer to your car.  10% over the speed limit has never got me pulled over.  Think about renting a cartop carrier.  Use every cubic foot.  Squishy things fill irregular gaps.  You won't have vision out of your rearview or likely to your right so adjust your right mirror outward to eliminate the blindspot and your left inward to double as a rearview, make sure to look over your shoulder when merging left.  Or, rent a uhaul and tow the car.  It's 1224 miles.  You can average 60 easily if you drive 70-80. That's 2 ten hour days.  It's significant how stopping or slowing for traffic or construction can hurt your average speed.  Follow anyone going faster than you so long as you give them at least 20 seconds of space.  Reserve a room someplace not too urban for lower rates and a little farther than halfway if possible.  Cities of 80-100K, not close to a military base or huge mega-corp plant like an oil refinery are your safest bet to avoid ghetto.  Put a little extra air in the tires for better fuel economy.  .Avoid cities during rush hour, factor that in when you're deciding when to leave.  Eat one good meal a day.

If it were me, I know 900 miles is well within my range.  I'd get everything ready the night before abd have everything I'm going to need til chicago in one backpack.  Leave about 3am, minutes after I awoke and be checking into a hotel about 5ish.  That leaves you time for a liesurely evening, you can even do something touristy, take a swim in the morning, the last 300 miles are easy.  OR, go right to sleep, naturally wake up probably by midnight and in chicago for breakfast on day 2.  I'd wait to see how I felt when I checked into the hotel.  If I was in a car that could safely cruise 110-120 I might do it in one day.  You can't maintain those speeds all the time of course.  I'd be satisfied with an 15-17hou drive.

Write your name on your arm in Sharpie Marker if you're gonna drive like that. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Halp.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 31 queries.