Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny  (Read 5005 times)

Alex Libman 15

Re: >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »

jesus christ.
i started this thread in FEBRUARY & you niggas let it die
NOW, 8 mos. later, you act like its new news.

fuckin A

If only there was a Nobel Prize for bumping threads...  :lol:

(I'd still refuse it though.  Nobel sucks ass.)

(EDIT: typo fixed)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:56:14 PM by Alex Libman »

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »

If only there was a Nobel Prize for pumping threads...  :lol:

It would be awarded to a democratic politician who doesn't own a computer.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »

I tried to like it, I really did. But, the anachronistic language just ruined it for me. These 19th Century characters sounded too much like they just time-dropped from 2005. For example, "fuck" did not become commonly used until the 1920s, but makes up a major component of dialog in Deadwood. I suspect the same for cocksucker.

I have no objection to the profanity--it certainly fit well in The Sopranos. But, in Deadwood, the language just did not fit the time period.

Those cocksuckers decided that period accurate profanity wouldn't have the desired effect.  It would just sound silly and not at all profane to the modern ear.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:45 PM »

I tried to like it, I really did. But, the anachronistic language just ruined it for me. These 19th Century characters sounded too much like they just time-dropped from 2005. For example, "fuck" did not become commonly used until the 1920s, but makes up a major component of dialog in Deadwood. I suspect the same for cocksucker.

I have no objection to the profanity--it certainly fit well in The Sopranos. But, in Deadwood, the language just did not fit the time period.

Those cocksuckers decided that period accurate profanity wouldn't have the desired effect.  It would just sound silly and not at all profane to the modern ear.

Profanity is not profanity unless it evokes the desired effect.  Evokes?  Sure, why not.  Evokes. 

The best profanity, I don't even understand it.  It has umlauts and weird german letters, and the guttural, throat scraping enunciation explodes forth in a fine spray of spittle.  Maybe a little tar-speckled phlegm. 

FICK'N DOGSHAUSSEN LAMPHELMET WHORETUNNEL GARGLECOCK!!

See?  Makes no sense at all, but you've been severely admonished.  Unquestionably delivered with a sneer, and quite possibly a flurry of obscene gestures.  Conditions permitting. 

Thats some cussin', right there. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny

// ]]>

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 32 queries.