Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny  (Read 4991 times)

Riddler

>>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »

apparently, there was talk, after the series ended, of a potential HBO-deal with 2) two-hour TV movies to wrap up the story.....filming was sposed to start summer of '07....
good thing i'm johnny-on-the-spot with breaking news, eh??

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/30/exclusive-ian-mcshane-tells-cinematical-hbo-has-scrapped-those/

EXCLUSIVE: Ian McShane Tells Cinematical HBO Has Scrapped Those 'Deadwood' Movies
Posted Sep 30th 2007 6:32PM by Ryan Stewart
Filed under: Deals, Fandom, Newsstand, HBO Films, Western

Yeah, I'm not happy about it either. Earlier today, I got a call from Ian McShane to talk about his new family fantasy movie, The Dark is Rising, and I asked him the big question Deadwood fans have been wanting to know for a while now -- was HBO just blowing smoke with its promise to wrap up the series with a couple of made-for-TV movies? Well, the answer is yes, McShane revealed to us. "I just got a call on Friday from ... a dear friend of mine, who told me that they're packing up the ranch," McShane said. "They're dismantling the ranch and taking the stuff out. That ship is gonna sail. Bonsoir, Deadwood." He went on to say that even if the movies were happening, there would be the strike to consider, and on top of that, he's committed to a filming schedule that would prevent him from doing them anytime before late next year anyway.

I told McShane that as a fan, I felt completely cheated by this move on HBO's part. "You feel cheated? Imagine how I feel!" he replied. "We all do. We all do. It was one of those one-off jobs that you do which has got an extraordinary creative brain behind it, and it kept getting better, and the actors were great. It was a fabulous place to be and work. It was a workshop cum theater cum film. It was an extraordinary time. But everything has to come to an end, babe." So, there you have it.

cocksuckers, all.

Alex Libman 15

Re: >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 02:20:50 AM »

cocksuckers, all.

[youtube=425,350]EpsKKPuTYCI[/youtube]

:lol:

Riddler

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »

holy cocksuckers

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »

What a great show.  It will be missed.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

TimSully

• Cookiepuss Wants A Hug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »

Must...watch...Deadwood.

Wu has by far the best cock-suck-ah by far.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »

Must...watch...Deadwood.

Sweh-jin!

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »

I tried to like it, I really did. But, the anachronistic language just ruined it for me. These 19th Century characters sounded too much like they just time-dropped from 2005. For example, "fuck" did not become commonly used until the 1920s, but makes up a major component of dialog in Deadwood. I suspect the same for cocksucker.

I have no objection to the profanity--it certainly fit well in The Sopranos. But, in Deadwood, the language just did not fit the time period.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:54 PM »

Must...watch...Deadwood.

Sweh-jin!

[youtube=425,350]FtHYAgOTIwU[/youtube]

Riddler

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »

Must...watch...Deadwood.

Sweh-jin!

[youtube=425,350]FtHYAgOTIwU[/youtube]

i'm disappointed in mcshane's connery impression....

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »

i'm disappointed in mcshane's connery impression....

Kind of looks like all the impressions in the story seem to have been done for the amusement of Sean Connery, and he seemed to enjoy the heck out of it.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Dewars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:58:33 AM »

I tried to like it, I really did. But, the anachronistic language just ruined it for me. These 19th Century characters sounded too much like they just time-dropped from 2005. For example, "fuck" did not become commonly used until the 1920s, but makes up a major component of dialog in Deadwood. I suspect the same for cocksucker.

I have no objection to the profanity--it certainly fit well in The Sopranos. But, in Deadwood, the language just did not fit the time period.

I collect civil war letters. "Fuck" was most definitely a popular word in the 1860s.

Riddler

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »

I collect civil war letters. "Fuck" was most definitely a popular word in the 1860s.

''But "fuck" wasn't actually a swear-word back then. It was indecent, of course, but people only used it for the sexual act itself. ''

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~nunberg/deadwood.html

Dewars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »

Deadwood was a great work of drama, not a history lesson in a non-fiction book.

I can see why they used the words (fuck and cocksucker) they did. 

It was a crude and vulgar time and place, and limiting themselves to period appropriate vulgar language wouldn't have had nearly the same impact on a modern audience.

My favorite example of a frontier letter was a piece of hate mail that Abe Lincoln liked to show his friends.

God damn your god damned old hellfired god damned soul to hell god damn you and goddam your god damned family's god damned hellfired god damned soul to hell and god damnation god damn them and god damn your god damn friends to hell.

God damn would have been extraordinarily shocking in the 1860s, far more than fuck or shit.  Not so much, now.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »

Wikipedia mentions this, and I'd agree that the show would be less enjoyable with all characters "sounding like Yosemite Sam"...  :roll:

Riddler

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »

jesus christ.
i started this thread in FEBRUARY & you niggas let it die
NOW, 8 mos. later, you act like its new news.

fuckin A
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  >>DEADWOOD<< it's really over, johnny

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.