Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Group of activists arrested, Keene District Court April 13, 2009
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Group of activists arrested, Keene District Court April 13, 2009  (Read 81210 times)

blackie

Re: Group of activists arrested, Keene District Court April 13, 2009
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

http://www.keenesentinel.com/articles/2009/04/14/news/local/free/id_351706.txt

Commotion in the court

Incident was in Keene court lobby
By Anika Clark
Sentinel Staff
Published: Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A bit of commotion is nothing new in the courtroom.

But on Monday, the action was in the Keene District Court lobby, where five people were arrested and two were handed summonses on charges of disorderly conduct.

The hubbub started shortly before the arraignment of Dave Ridley, who was arrested in March, accused of refusing to turn off his video camera in the court lobby before attending the arraignment of a marijuana activist.

According to Ian “Freeman” Bernard of the Free State Project — a movement that bills itself on its Web site as a push to recruit 20,000 “liberty-loving people” to New Hampshire — about 15-20 activists had flocked to the court to attend Ridley’s arraignment.

Among them, said Bernard and others on the scene, was Samuel Dodson, who was arrested after allegedly refusing to turn off a video camera in the lobby.

Throughout the process, Keene police Sgt. Eliezer Rivera said, Dodson declined to give police his name — or even to stand up — and was booked as John Doe.

But when he started yelling from behind closed doors, activists demanded to know what was happening. Dodson was lying on the floor in what Rivera described as “passive resistance.”

“(Dodson) was screaming and we had no idea what was going on,” said 18-year-old Patrick S. Shields of Keene.

Standing between the crowd and the conference room door, Rivera told the activists they needed to leave or they’d be given summonses.

Some complied. Others lingered and within minutes, additional police had arrived in the lobby.

People who gave their names, such as 55-year-old Richard T. Onley and Nicholas Ryder, 27, were issued summonses. Others who declined, like Shields, were handcuffed and taken to the Keene police station.

As Dodson reportedly did, Shields went limp during his arrest and had to be carried out of the building. He later told The Sentinel he thought this was the only way he could refrain from complying with the police’s orders without actively resisting.

As for refusing to give his name to the officer, Shields said, “If I’d said my name without thinking of the consequences, then that would just be obeying authority without questioning it.”

One thing Shields did question, however, was how he could be charged with disorderly conduct when, he said, he was simply sitting on a lobby bench when he was arrested.

“I’m trying to send a message to the city of Keene that violence against peaceful people is unacceptable,” Shields said of his actions Monday.

Also arrested and brought to the Keene police station were Nicholas D. Krouse, 27, Kurt W. Hoffman, 38, and Timothy Danforth, 23.

“This is the first time I’ve been arrested and what (police) do is uncalled for,” Krouse said. “They’re going behind closed doors and then expecting us to just accept their answers as proof positive that everything’s (okay).”

Hoffman — who said he was was one of a slew of people who stood with protest signs outside the Cheshire County jail in Westmoreland, where Dodson was being held Monday afternoon — echoed him.

While Dodson was sequestered in the district court conference room, “I wanted to go see him and see if he was all right. It sounded like he was being abused,” Hoffman said. “(Police) wouldn’t let us know anything.”

But Rivera said isolating Dodson from the rest of the crowd represented a “safety” measure.

“I didn’t have a choice but to tell people ... ‘you need to leave,’ ” he said, adding that as police were arresting Dodson, “We don’t want them on top of us.”

In reference to what was happening in the court conference room, he said, “As soon as (Dodson) was touched by a police (officer), he would start yelling.

“In my opinion, he was trying to get attention,” Rivera said, while saying that a certain amount of police force is necessary to deal with someone who is lying, dead weighted, on the floor.

Regardless of whether Shields was sitting or standing at the time of his arrest, Rivera said, “he did not leave.”

And as for filming in the lobby, he said that this space is an extension of the courtroom — and is filled, at times, by people attending to other business in city hall or by children and victims of rape or domestic violence.

“The last thing a ... victim of domestic violence wants is someone with a camera recording them,” Rivera said.

While not specifically outlined in N.H. district court rules — which allow media, in most cases, to videotape or record public court proceedings — state judicial branch spokeswoman Laura A. Kiernan said it’s general practice not to allow videotaping in court hallways.

“We’ve talked about this at length and the Free Staters know that,” she said. “We’re doing the best we can to maintain civility, security and orderly behavior in our courthouses.”

But, according to Rivera, the commotion on Monday was anything but.

“Basically, it brought the court process to a halt,” he said.

Still, Krouse pointed his finger back at law enforcement.

“We did not represent a threat,” he said. “The waste of police resources was entirely the fault of the police.”

Dodson was scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Keene District Court.

Spideynw

• Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »

And as for filming in the lobby, he said that this space is an extension of the courtroom — and is filled, at times, by people attending to other business in city hall or by children and victims of rape or domestic violence.

“The last thing a ... victim of domestic violence wants is someone with a camera recording them,” Rivera said.

While not specifically outlined in N.H. district court rules — which allow media, in most cases, to videotape or record public court proceedings — state judicial branch spokeswoman Laura A. Kiernan said it’s general practice not to allow videotaping in court hallways.

“We’ve talked about this at length and the Free Staters know that,” she said. “We’re doing the best we can to maintain civility, security and orderly behavior in our courthouses.”

“We did not represent a threat,” he said. “The waste of police resources was entirely the fault of the police.”

As if anyone would know who was a domestic abuse victim in the lobby.  That is such a garbage excuse for not allowing video cameras to be on in the lobby.

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »

As if anyone would know who was a domestic abuse victim in the lobby.  That is such a garbage excuse for not allowing video cameras to be on in the lobby.
From what I gather, Ridley was the only arraignment slated for the time slot--and Rivera should know that since he probably had a hand in scheduling it. The man is a weasel and is trying to play the Keene public just like he played the activists. He calls in his tough-guys when his anxiety level shoots through the roof. I used to just embrace the political activism but now I'm opening up to the idea of CD--though I probably shouldn't since I may lose my cool in a situation like that. When I see bullies picking on people, I have a natural reaction to level the playing field. It just infuriates me to see those officers pushing people around via their catch-all: disorderly conduct.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »

This implies that there is something to be ashamed of in being victimized by a physically stronger human being. The victims of such assaults have nothing to be ashamed of, only their attackers do, and this d-bag is helping to perpetuate the same and guilt and negative stigma that this society unfortunately encourages about such things.

Cops.  :x
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
  • Aint no thang but a chicken wing!
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
Feel free to add me to facebook, or contact me on MSN.

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »

It sickens me that while rivera claims to care so much for the domestic violence victims, he's using them as collateral to keep cameras out of court altogether. Thus, fully allowing themselves the privilege to operate behind the curtain.

blackie

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »

It's not that weird to ban video cameras in a courtroom. In those cases, Dale should serve as the courtroom artist.

Having a protest inside the courthouse is a bad idea. Of course they are going to crack down on a courthouse protest.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Having a protest inside the courthouse is a bad great idea. Of course they are going to crack down on a courthouse protest.

Fixed.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

blackie

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »

Having a protest inside the courthouse is a bad great idea. Of course they are going to crack down on a courthouse protest.

Fixed.
GLWT

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »

It's not that weird to ban video cameras in a courtroom. In those cases, Dale should serve as the courtroom artist.

How can everything be legit if there are no cameras allowed? If they can manipulate the process to their benefit, justice can't be rightfully served without full disclosure. The only thing weird is that they used to allow cameras, then they changed their minds, arbitrarily--using the cover story of caring for the privacy of DV victims.

blackie

« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »

http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=799.0

Sam has been charged with "Disorderly Conduct", "Resisting Arrest", and "Refusal to Process".  He is being held until he requests an arraignment. 

I have kept Sam's dad informed.  Aida is taking care of his cat.  I have a call in to someone who I believe to be his landlord to check his rent status.

Phone numbers for the jail, court, and KPD have been posted at http://sam.jailedactivist.info

Audio of his arrest and torture is now at http://freekeene.com/2009/04/14/audio-of-the-arrest-and-torture-of-peaceful-activist-sam/

Yesterday I noticed Sam's dad posted on the FreeKeene blog. He left his phone number, but that post has since been deleted.

audio
http://freekeene.com/files/SamArrested2009-04-13.mp3

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2009, 03:46:16 PM »

I didn't know refusal to process was a law. . .you learn something new every day. .

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

Fixed.
GLWT

What better place to highlight the evil of mala prohibita than the place where the prohibita occurs?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

blackie

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »

Fixed.
GLWT

What better place to highlight the evil of mala prohibita than the place where the prohibita occurs?
To each his own, I guess. Me, I would like to avoid jail.

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »

Fixed.
GLWT

To each his own, I guess. Me, I would like to avoid jail.

Then I wouldn't become an Activist then. . .
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Group of activists arrested, Keene District Court April 13, 2009

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.