Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Great Works of Public Art
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Works of Public Art  (Read 2990 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

blackie

Re: Great Works of Public Art
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:49:49 AM »

Define "public art".

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »

Oh, what a let down.  I read it as "Pubic Art".

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »

I thought it was going to be sarcastic with horrible art that local govs had paid for.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »

Define "public art".

Inserting photographs of my penis into the advert space at local bus stops is my favorite form of public art, but for this thread... I was hoping... that I'd discover works of art like those anarchir just described.

The one I posted struck me as a kinda big deal since someone had the balls to deface a war monument (if only temporarily, not sure what sort of paint was used) and replace the mighty warrior figures with cheesy pop culture icons. That's pretty cool, to me.

In Charlotte there's a light rail line that has sad looking art along the tracks and at each station. Not sure what the total costs were for all that crap, but one of the artistes has a pretty good racket going on in various cities in the US..

"Take his cucumber phase, for instance. For a while there, Sayre, an artist from Raleigh, was stacking dozens of circular blocks of increasing or decreasing size on top of each other and selling them to various government agencies and the occasional private group for tens of thousands of dollars.

Most of these 10- to 20-foot cucumberesque sculptures bear a striking resemblance to each other in form, yet Sayre has a different spin for each one.

The legume-like stack of black concrete circles he created for Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta is supposed to represent "the mystery of night," Sayre says. Hundreds of miles away in St. Petersburg, Florida, a similar stack of circles by Sayre sits outside a fire station. Sayre claims that the sculpture, for which the St. Petersburg Public Art Commission paid $50,000, represents "the historical architectural element of a fire station hose tower." Outside a public building in Raleigh, a group of 24 skinnier cucumbers built from circles juts out of the ground. These, says Sayre, represent North Carolina's 24 largest cities. But again, it's basically the same piece over and over again, with a different intellectual explanation by the artist for what it means."

Sayre's "works" for the rail:

I've heard these "pieces" cost just under $150,000.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

blackie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »

Most pictures on the internet count as public art, amiright? so...

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

mauiguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »

Most pictures on the internet count as public art, amiright? so...

Doesn't that belong in the Chaos thread?
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Great Works of Public Art

// ]]>

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 32 queries.