Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Gots me a ticket for no seatbelt.... this is what the pig told me.........
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gots me a ticket for no seatbelt.... this is what the pig told me.........  (Read 15197 times)

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...

Seat belts greatly increase your chances of survival, especially in a modern car with ABS braking and proper crumple zones. All the aspects of safety in the car are designed to protect the human who is expected to be exactly where the seat belt keeps them. But used improperly, fitted improperly, or in just the wrong accident, the seat belt ensures your death.

This is why you should wear them.  Despite the random horseshit that Gene has mathematically tried to shoehorn into his gobbledygook, the fact is, we are most likely traveling in vehicles with modern airbags.  They deploy from many different spots.  All are essentially ineffective if the passenger is not restrained into a position where the airbags are designed to protect. 

There is always gonna be random stories of people who were thrown clear of a wreck.  I had it happen myself.  A seatbelt woulda killed me in one occasion.

In other occasions, they restrained me to the proper position where the airbags were effective and worked properly.

People who speak of driving "safely" have no fucking clue what they're talking about.  The biggest menace on the road is the other person, which you have no control over.

There are always gonna be situations beyond the scope of preventable harm.  The car looks like a mangled piece of fuck.  Those arguments do not belong in the decision-making process.

"in one occasion" ... "in other occasions" ... have you thought that maybe you might want to quit driving before your luck runs out???  (Oh, yes, I'm SURE they were all the other guy's fault  :lol:)

Ecolitan

• View Profile

I guess you didn't see the photo of the truck I was a passenger in.  Lady ran a red, we had the green.  No avoiding it.  50 mph.  Tore the front off.  

50 mph!   They didn't slow down 10 mph for a known danger area (we've already covered that particular driving habit that should be consciously developed).  That would have significantly reduced your breaking distance and the force upon impact which increases your chances of survival...  

Tore the front off?!?   Are you telling me 10 ft would have avoided that accident..  5 ft.... 3ft?  10 mph would have accomplished that and there would have been no accident.  If the impact was as little as a few feet into the hood then this accident could have been avoided simply by letting off the gas and covering the brake as you approach the intersection.  at 50 mph you travel 73 ft/sec,  It takes a half a second to get your foot from the gas to the brake.  That's 36.5 ft of braking distance you can save merely by covering the brake at intersections.  Far more than enough to have avoided that accident.  It's a very doable thing.

Gene is wrong, because for every 'thing' you can avoid, there are lots of black balls in the lotto hopper.  

Sometimes shit happens.  You CAN seriously reduce your risk.  Telling people not to bother trying is disgusting.  You are respected here and someone might well not bother taking driving seriously because you told them there is no point.  Then they might die or be injured when they otherwise might have been saved.  NO you can't guarantee perfect safety.  You CAN significantly reduce your risk.

Stop trying to pretend one persons skill will save the universe.  Even professional truckers fuck up.  

Yes, but if they didn't take driving seriously they would fuck up far more often.  Won't save the universe but might save a baby.

You sir... ARE the problem out there on the road.  Such a close shave with serious injury you'd think you'd want to know how it can be avoided in the future instead of pretending that such a thing is impossible.  It's not impossible.  It's easy.

I'm not questioning your overall parenting but you have some weird fucked up block about taking safe driving seriously and your girls are haulin ass toward driving age no?  Why wouldn't you take every single one of these tips and then find out where to get more of them and talk to them about traffic conditions and lane choice and covering the brake on the way to and fro school or whatever.  Doesn't it scare the shit out of you them being out there with drivers like you?  Don't you want to equip them to not die?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:54:36 AM by Ecolitan »

alaric89

• View Profile

I am also a defensive driver. Several of my friends said I drive like a old woman. Since I never lose my licence I have driven most of their cars on the highway. Several times they have noticed I used a lot less gas then they usually do.
Many of my friends started to drive like old women....
I use seatbelts everywhere except on farm trails and off road. If my Nissan had a cage I would be strapped in off road, as it is I would rather be able to ditch in a hurry. I wear a helmet and riding boots religiously on my crosser and snowmobile.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance

One of the great quotes that came out of the seatbelt commission was delivered by the head of the NHCLU (NH branch of the ACLU). She said that the best way to ensure everyone drives safely is to require a giant metal spike be installed on the steering column of every car.

There... now everybody drives real careful

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile

One of the great quotes that came out of the seatbelt commission was delivered by the head of the NHCLU (NH branch of the ACLU). She said that the best way to ensure everyone drives safely is to require a giant metal spike be installed on the steering column of every car.

There... now everybody drives real careful
+1
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick

Speaking of defensive driving............

I think it was back sometime around 1991, I was sitting at a red light at an intersection waiting to turn left in the turning only lane. A Porter county cop was first in line, with me right behind him...... middle of winter on an icy road. Anyway, we're sitting there waiting for the left turn green light and I can see in my rear view, someone coming up behind me pretty fucking fast........ way too fast to be able to stop in time to avoid hitting the guy in front of him, which in this instance, was me.  So what do I do? I get out of the turning lane and go straight to avoid the dumb fuck who obviously doesn't understand the laws of physics. BAMMMO!!! Guy smacks into the rear of the squad car instead of hitting me. Needless to say, I was all proud of myself for having that 6 seconds of foresight that allowed me to GTFO of the way, but the cop didn't share my enthusiasm unfortunately.

Maybe it was karma after all these years getting back at me for that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:38:56 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...

Tore the front off?!?   Are you telling me 10 ft would have avoided that accident..  5 ft.... 3ft?  10 mph would have accomplished that and there would have been no accident.  If the impact was as little as a few feet into the hood then this accident could have been avoided simply by letting off the gas and covering the brake as you approach the intersection.  at 50 mph you travel 73 ft/sec,  It takes a half a second to get your foot from the gas to the brake.  That's 36.5 ft of braking distance you can save merely by covering the brake at intersections.  Far more than enough to have avoided that accident.  It's a very doable thing.

Bingo.  I just spent the last two years teaching my 17 y.o. to drive and I tried to teach him ALL the tricks I know (lane choice is a good example and even "riding the line" farthest from your closest threat).  Even after driving for 44 years, I'm always looking for ways to avoid the idiots on the road (I call it "the lowest common denominator factor).  When my son was 15 and driving on his permit with me in the passenger seat of my pickup he was t-boned by another H.S. student at an intersection.  After I cooled down and made sure no one was hurt and after the police were gone, I used that experience to teach him what he should have done to avoid the accident.  I saw the other car way before he did and I would have been able to avoid the accident because of physics and the way idiots drive.  This is something that you gain through experience, but I tried to instruct him so that he can avoid a future accident.

And, no, I don't drive like an old man.  I'm usually doing at least 10 over and I run every stop sign in sight unless there's a danger in doing so... (including ticket danger  :lol:)

Ecolitan

• View Profile

I am also a defensive driver. Several of my friends said I drive like a old woman.

I wouldn't want to anyone to get the wrong idea.  Once I've ensured I'm not a danger to anyone else and they are not a danger to me, I'm a bit more free than most about being a danger to myself.  

And, no, I don't drive like an old man.  I'm usually doing at least 10 over and I run every stop sign in sight unless there's a danger in doing so... (including ticket danger  Laughing)

I like to wear BDUs on the motorcycle.  Living near an Air Force Base I don't get tickets at any speed, never been caught doing anything unsafe, sometimes they'll blip their rooflights at me when I'm circling the lake.  It's VERY important to be wearing the BDUs which, having no armor, limits you to the 80% rule.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:14:02 AM by Ecolitan »

One two three

• View Profile

You got the right idea.  I drive a car that says I'm boring, not poor but not rich.  I also have veteran plates and I've passed cop cars going 10-15 over and the most I ever get is a blip of the roof lights.  I slow down for a little and then keep going.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

alaric89

• View Profile

I am also a defensive driver. Several of my friends said I drive like a old woman.

I wouldn't want to anyone to get the wrong idea.  Once I've ensured I'm not a danger to anyone else and they are not a danger to me, I'm a bit more free than most about being a danger to myself.  

And, no, I don't drive like an old man.  I'm usually doing at least 10 over and I run every stop sign in sight unless there's a danger in doing so... (including ticket danger  Laughing)

I like to wear BDUs on the motorcycle.  Living near an Air Force Base I don't get tickets at any speed, never been caught doing anything unsafe, sometimes they'll blip their rooflights at me when I'm circling the lake.  It's VERY important to be wearing the BDUs which, having no armor, limits you to the 80% rule.
I am almost never alone while I drive.
The only sign of BDUs I have left is some desert ones I turned into beach shorts. The fact I have them at all pisses me off. My unit shipped out to desert storm. We did the whole waiting & war thing wearing the regular green ones. As we were going back to Germany, we were issued a set of tan BDUs to have to get off the plane for a photo op. That was the only day we were allowed to wear them. Our tax dollars at work. :roll:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:59:02 PM by alaric89 »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile

My turn!

It's the first of the month and oh! the sticker on my license plate is now the wrong color. Flashing blue lights appear behind me 5 minutes after me & the kids left the house.

Licenses and stickers aren't often at the forefront of my mind so I'd totally forgotten to renew both of them. Cop tells me I'll have to park & call for a ride or call a tow truck. I tell him I'll go one more block to my exes house and park there. He says no. I point at the street sign and tell him it's right there.. I can practically see her place from where we are, literally if not for trees. No. He tells me if he sees me driving home or anywhere else he'll take me to jail. I mention the near-accident my kids and I saw while he was writing me a ticket.. a door flew off the back of a truck causing cars to slam on brakes and go around the object, a guy gets out of the truck to get the door and then has trouble crossing the street with it because of all the traffic.. the kids thought that part was funny, the cop being too busy to notice a safety hazard.. cop asks me which way the truck went so I tell him I dunno.

So if I get everything legal I can take the proof to court and not pay a fine... which makes all this seem even more pointless.

Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

So if I get everything legal I can take the proof to court and not pay a fine... which makes all this seem even more pointless.

You would think that in the 21st century, you know, computers, internet and stuff, they would have the court and the BMV linked so when you got the plates, the system would cancel the court date.

I mean, WTF?

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security

Thanks for reminding me, my sticker is overdue as well. Gotta scrape together 85 damn bucks to pay the extortion money.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile

Speaking of defensive driving............

I think it was back sometime around 1991, I was sitting at a red light at an intersection waiting to turn left in the turning only lane. A Porter county cop was first in line, with me right behind him...... middle of winter on an icy road. Anyway, we're sitting there waiting for the left turn green light and I can see in my rear view, someone coming up behind me pretty fucking fast........ way too fast to be able to stop in time to avoid hitting the guy in front of him, which in this instance, was me.  So what do I do? I get out of the turning lane and go straight to avoid the dumb fuck who obviously doesn't understand the laws of physics. BAMMMO!!! Guy smacks into the rear of the squad car instead of hitting me. Needless to say, I was all proud of myself for having that 6 seconds of foresight that allowed me to GTFO of the way, but the cop didn't share my enthusiasm unfortunately.

Maybe it was karma after all these years getting back at me for that.

:P Makes me laugh.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

That makes two of us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Gots me a ticket for no seatbelt.... this is what the pig told me.........

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.