Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Gots me a ticket for no seatbelt.... this is what the pig told me.........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gots me a ticket for no seatbelt.... this is what the pig told me.........  (Read 15202 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick

Also it is uncommon -- but not freakishly so -- for a person without a seatbelt to be thrown clear of a car, who with a seatbelt would have been crushed & killed.

This is exactly what happened to my 8th grade teacher, Mr Herstein, coolest Jew I ever met. Always treated us kids like adults, never told anyone what to do or gave "orders". Just let you do your thing and somehow everyone listened to him and showed respect, even the trouble makers. Nobody fucked with Mr Herstein, ever. If the school was filled with teachers like him, I'd bet serious cash that there wouldn't be a single kid that got lower than a C+ average.

He was driving his Jeep on a partially frozen road and hit an ice patch on a curve, then when the ice ended, his Jeep flipped and rolled down a ravine and he was thrown out, paralyzing him from the waist down. The jeep caught fire and blew up and he says he would have been dead if he was wearing his belt. Sure it was a freak occurence, but thats why it should be your choice  A few months after the accident, he went in front of the whole school and gave a 20 min speech on choices. Talking about how his choice not to wear his seatbelt saved his life, but that another situation, it would have killed him. Said choice is necessary to be a responsible person. Without choices, you are just a slave.  It was an awesome speech, even as an 8th grader listening to it.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

alaric89

• View Profile

Your teacher was right. The choice IS the key. Not having choices kills a lot of people because people choose to follow the law instead of commen sense.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:12:26 AM by alaric89 »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance

commen sense.
careless spelling costs lives

alaric89

• View Profile

commen sense.
careless spelling costs lives
Det gikk gjennom stavcheck. Det er beste jeg kan gjøre. Beklager so mye.

Bill Brasky

Seat belts greatly increase your chances of survival, especially in a modern car with ABS braking and proper crumple zones. All the aspects of safety in the car are designed to protect the human who is expected to be exactly where the seat belt keeps them. But used improperly, fitted improperly, or in just the wrong accident, the seat belt ensures your death.

This is why you should wear them.  Despite the random horseshit that Gene has mathematically tried to shoehorn into his gobbledygook, the fact is, we are most likely traveling in vehicles with modern airbags.  They deploy from many different spots.  All are essentially ineffective if the passenger is not restrained into a position where the airbags are designed to protect. 

There is always gonna be random stories of people who were thrown clear of a wreck.  I had it happen myself.  A seatbelt woulda killed me in one occasion.

In other occasions, they restrained me to the proper position where the airbags were effective and worked properly.

People who speak of driving "safely" have no fucking clue what they're talking about.  The biggest menace on the road is the other person, which you have no control over.

There are always gonna be situations beyond the scope of preventable harm.  The car looks like a mangled piece of fuck.  Those arguments do not belong in the decision-making process.

One two three

• View Profile

Two different members of the NH House of Representatives gave floor speeches last year, saying that they were alive today only because they were thrown clear of their cars.

Unless you are talking about something that happened in the committee you were on or something, the bill was voted on in 2009, not 2010 ;)
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Ecolitan

• View Profile

People who speak of driving "safely" have no fucking clue what they're talking about.  The biggest menace on the road is the other person, which you have no control over.

This is only very partially true.  People who speak of driving safely have often read books about how to anticipate and avoid accidents.  They may practice emergency maneuvers on a regular basis so if/when they need to act in an extreme manner they will be competent doing so.  They consciously create habits of checking mirrors every several seconds so in a split second they don't need to look for an open space because they already know where it is.  They cruise in the gaps between clusters of cars, not with the clusters.  They decrease their speed 10mph when they observe any of the many most hazardous situations they have learned to recognize.  They look in their rear view mirror more than forward when waiting to make a left turn so as to not get rearended (This one saved my life once).  They make eye contact with other drivers.  Fact is a defensive driver can GREATLY reduce their risk of accident by always understanding that any other vehicle on the road might do anything at any time and that it is their responsibility to have anticipated that and prepared an escape route, ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE.  Also, sometimes shit happens.  

People who say all of that is horseshit are not particularly safe drivers.

and...  My 96 Dodge van has a non-adjustable seat belt that hits me right in the carotid artery.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:52:19 PM by Ecolitan »

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick

I can see both sides of this argument. On one hand, like Drifter said,  a seatbelt, along with airbags, will more often than not save you in an accident, so its probably a good idea to wear one,  but like Ecolitan said, they are fucking annoying to wear. To me, it feels like im driving with someone next to me putting their forearm across my chest the whole time im driving......bugs the fuck out of me, not to mention it rubbing against my neck as well. So I wear one when im traveling on the highways, partially because its more likely I'll get busted by the cops there than when im driving in town.

The town I got the ticket in was a town of about 400 population, one road in, one road going out. Speed limit 35mph anywhere in town. They have 2 cops in that town and I've never had one even look twice at me for not wearing a belt. On that particular day though, the State doucebags were doing sweeps statewide for seatbelt compliance, busting in on the local guys territory, which I found out a little too late.

Seatbelts............ good to wear, but they bother me to the point where I sometimes dont wanna wear one. Ultimately, it should be my choice if I wanna take my life into my own hands though.

Fuck the cops for trying to be my daddy.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Bill Brasky

Yeah, there are exceptions to every rule.  I understand that SOME people are very proficient.  And some may even "train".  You're probably talking about a tenth of one percent.

Lets stand in any mall parking lot, you can use a golf-clicker to count the ones who appear to be professionally trained drivers. 

I'll use a golf-clicker to count the ones who appear to be complete fucking idiots.

I'll bet I get to a hundred before you get to five.

I am not concerned with the people who can drive.  I'm concerned with the ones who can't.  And more often than not, the ones who deem themselves "safe" are probably nothing more than garden-variety cautious.  People ALWAYS overestimate their skills. 

All the glass at red lights proves it.  I know if I drive for an eight-hour shift through any city, I'll see two cars crushed together, with the cops standing around the ambulances.  Both of those people probably considers themselves "good drivers". 

My city, has around 40,000 residents (inside the city).  Last time I had reason to inquire about a MVA, I was told they get about 10 a day.  (so hold your horses mister, be more specific...)  response from the desk-lady.

Thats over three thousand a year, of varying degrees of severity.  Within the cop-limits of the city. 

Thats a lot of smash-ups from people who consider themselves above-average, which most people do. 

Ecolitan

• View Profile

I always wore my seatbelt in my firebird and the t-bird and the 240sx.  They fit properly.  Larger vehicles don't treat me as well.

Also....  Mirrors should be adjusted so there is no redundancy, this covers more area and eliminates blind spots.  As you are pulling away from an object it should leave your drivers side mirror at the same time it enters your center mirror and leave your center as it enters your passenger side mirror.  If you are looking at the same thing in 2 or even 3 mirrors you are not utilizing them properly.  This means that you won't see the right or left side of your car in any mirror but that doesn't matter because what is directly beside your car was just in front of you and you should know it's there.  Far more important to see into the adjacent lane right up until it enters your peripheral vision.  If everyone did this I would be saved from people pulling over into my lane while on a motorcycle at least once a week.  Which they do and which I am always prepared to react to and never come close to dying over.  I've talked to more than one person who told me this very phenomenon is why they don't ride a motorcycle anymore.  I guess it never occurred to them to simply pay better attention to assholes like brasky who think there is nothing they can do to be safer, like learning to properly adjust their mirrors.

That is the first and most important of all defensive driving techniques I ever learned and very few people know it.  I have an ex-girlfriend who still has me re-adjust her mirrors whenever she sees me even when it pisses off her new boyfriend.  It works.  DO IT.  Pretty much all motoring magazines have columns about this sort of thing which is where I learned to adjust mirrors at 12 years old.  This shit is very important to me and that's the single most valuable tip I have.  I'm into driving, some of you might recall.  Brasky has just offended me greatly and endangered the lives of people here who don't realize how completely full of shit he usually is.  I feel the need to correct it.

Mike..  If you read Goddard's comment you would see it's not about comfort.  It's about a 30 mph collision cutting my carotid artery, and comfort.

Ecolitan

• View Profile

Yeah, there are exceptions to every rule.  I understand that SOME people are very proficient.  And some may even "train".  You're probably talking about a tenth of one percent.

All the more reason YOU, and you and you, should "train".  Not to is grossly irresponsible and a disservice to your children.  One day a year intensive and every single moment behind the wheel of analyzing and improving your habits will make you seem professional in comparison.  Driving is on the clock shit.

It's not about avoiding the professionals, it's about avoiding the assholes who would have caused a wreck if you hadn't been on the ball.  That is what Gene was talking about and he was right and you said that was stupid and you should back out now cuz it's not stupid and it CAN be done.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:57:40 AM by Ecolitan »

Bill Brasky

I can see both sides of this argument. On one hand, like Drifter said,  a seatbelt, along with airbags, will more often than not save you in an accident, so its probably a good idea to wear one,  but like Ecolitan said, they are fucking annoying to wear. To me, it feels like im driving with someone next to me putting their forearm across my chest the whole time im driving......bugs the fuck out of me, not to mention it rubbing against my neck as well. So I wear one when im traveling on the highways, partially because its more likely I'll get busted by the cops there than when im driving in town.

The town I got the ticket in was a town of about 400 population, one road in, one road going out. Speed limit 35mph anywhere in town. They have 2 cops in that town and I've never had one even look twice at me for not wearing a belt. On that particular day though, the State doucebags were doing sweeps statewide for seatbelt compliance, busting in on the local guys territory, which I found out a little too late.

Seatbelts............ good to wear, but they bother me to the point where I sometimes dont wanna wear one. Ultimately, it should be my choice if I wanna take my life into my own hands though.

Fuck the cops for trying to be my daddy.

I feel pretty much the same way.  The way I try to rationalize the legal aspect is, think of all the things you can't do.  Can't hang out the windows and drive with your feet.  Stuff like that. 

I do know cops really dislike shoveling up guts.  So they kinda have a hard-on for it. 

"The roads"  are a touchy subject in Libertopia.  They believe in making rules to use them.  Some of those rules are actually not wrong.  Like driving a Ninja at 180 through town is askin' for trouble.  And if I saw someone get hauled for it, I'd think "good", cause the guy was being a dick.

Should seatbelts be a law?  No, probly not.  Should insurance?  No, probly not.  Inspections?  No, its a racket. 

You could debate this shit all day.  Most stuff is too severe.  The ramifications are even more disgusting.  But if you wanna drive, thems the rules.  And I'd prefer to get to my destination without Officer Hardcock pulling me over, and sticking his microscope up my ass. 

One of the reasons they really like doing that shit is to give other people a spook.  When people see someone yanked, they cool their jets.  That visible presence is half the reason.  Its a show. 

Personally, I think ALL cops should be held personally liable for everything they do, and if the defendant gets 'off', they can be counter-sued for wrongful detainment, kidnapping, threat of lethal force, lost wages, and everything else a lawyer could dream up.  Then they wouldn't do anything but answer dispatches.  Put a few in jail, they'd get shit straight in a hurry.

Bill Brasky

It's not about avoiding the professionals, it's about avoiding the assholes who would have caused a wreck if you hadn't been on the ball.  That is what Gene was talking about and he was right and you said that was stupid and you should back out now cuz it's not stupid and it CAN be done.

I guess you didn't see the photo of the truck I was a passenger in.  Lady ran a red, we had the green.  No avoiding it.  50 mph.  Tore the front off. 

I can drive alright, cause I grew up on video games, and made my living driving for about ten years. 

I have about 20,000 on-the-clock hours.  Plus all the private time.

Gene is wrong, because for every 'thing' you can avoid, there are lots of black balls in the lotto hopper. 

Stop trying to pretend one persons skill will save the universe.  Even professional truckers fuck up. 

mauiguy

• View Profile

Personally, I think ALL cops should be held personally liable for everything they do, and if the defendant gets 'off', they can be counter-sued for wrongful detainment, kidnapping, threat of lethal force, lost wages, and everything else a lawyer could dream up.  Then they wouldn't do anything but answer dispatches.  Put a few in jail, they'd get shit straight in a hurry.

Now there's a novel idea!
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance

Unless you are talking about something that happened in the committee you were on or something, the bill was voted on in 2009, not 2010 ;)
I stand corrected. There's a reason you were recently NHLA Activist of the Year :)

There is always gonna be random stories of people who were thrown clear of a wreck.  I had it happen myself.  A seatbelt woulda killed me in one occasion.
Thank God you weren't wearing your seatbelt on that occasion. A law-abiding Brasky woulda been a dead Brasky.

The most evil phrases in the English language include: "studies have shown..." and "people should..."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Gots me a ticket for no seatbelt.... this is what the pig told me.........

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 33 queries.