Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  got a speeding ticket today
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: got a speeding ticket today  (Read 4857 times)

gooch

got a speeding ticket today
« on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »

i was driving down the interstate (71 in a 60) when a cop parked on the shoulder ran out into the lane to signal me to pull over. if i hadn't pulled over, i would've plowed right over him. anyway, he gave me a speeding ticket (for 76 in a 60). i don't want to pay the ticket, but i know the cost of a lawyer would probably be more than the actual cost of the ticket. any suggestions?

ox

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
Re: got a speeding ticket today
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »

i was driving down the interstate (71 in a 60) when a cop parked on the shoulder ran out into the lane to signal me to pull over. if i hadn't pulled over, i would've plowed right over him. anyway, he gave me a speeding ticket (for 76 in a 60). i don't want to pay the ticket, but i know the cost of a lawyer would probably be more than the actual cost of the ticket. any suggestions?

So long as "the actual cost of the ticket" doesn't include costs incident to having a speeding conviction appear on your driver's record, then yes, you are correct about the cost comparison.

I would suggest calling one or more lawyers in the jurisdiction to find out how much they charge to get the ticket amended to a non-moving violation.  If you really want to DIY, you might ask the prosecutor's office whether they would agree to amend it to a non-moving violation without having to hire a laywer.  If you want to fight it, study up on the rules of procedure, the rules of evidence, the statute or ordinance defining the crime and the case law interpreting the statute or ordinance.  File a motion with the court requesting specific discovery relating to the govt's case and file whatever other procedural motions one would need to file (e.g., request for jury trial) in the particular jurisdiction to make it as difficult as possible for the govt to get a conviction, bring your video camera and a cameraman and have fun with it.

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »

Pay the ticket.

Wait a year.

Find out where the cop lives.

Set his house on fire.

Make his children beg you to shoot them while they burn.

Bring marshmallows.

Oh, and ...

... here's what you append to all your forum posts if you want every person viewing them to hammer maqs.com for ~8MB of bandwidth: 

:twisted:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:30:11 PM by the ghost of Alex Libman »

Riddler

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »

move to brazil

ox

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

move to brazil

Forget what I said, do this.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »

I'm not sure if I heard this suggestion here, or some other site, but just the other day someone knowledgeable was suggesting how to beat a traffic ticket. The courts are highly inefficient, highly backlogged, and very forgetful. So, what you do is schedule a court date, and then ask for a couple of postponements. These are almost always granted. After the second one, they'll loose the paperwork and forget all about the matter.

It's the money they want, and if it ends up costing them too much, they lose all interest in it.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »

Tell them you have no money to pay them, and suggest jail time instead. They have a calculus of how much your time is worth to them, so a traffic ticket will get you in for a few days, tops. The plus to this (assuming it wont hurt you from missing work, or anything else) is that you are getting your chow on the states dime.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

ox

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:29:48 AM »

I'm not sure if I heard this suggestion here, or some other site, but just the other day someone knowledgeable was suggesting how to beat a traffic ticket. The courts are highly inefficient, highly backlogged, and very forgetful. So, what you do is schedule a court date, and then ask for a couple of postponements. These are almost always granted. After the second one, they'll loose the paperwork and forget all about the matter.

It's the money they want, and if it ends up costing them too much, they lose all interest in it.

That sounds about right.  But if/when the judge begins to get pissy about the case dragging on for so long after a few continuances, it is best to be able to say that it is the fault of the prosecutor (We'd like to move this case, too, judge, but they haven't given us the _________ we requested 3 months ago...). That is why I suggest that defendants ask the people in the system to do stuff for them by filing requests and motions and such, but over on FreeKeene.com that gets me some grief for granting legitimacy to the system somehow.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

Slim

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Freedom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Silm's Blog "Down With Big Brother"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:34 PM »

You could try and negotiate the ticket. I seem to have luck limiting the amount I have been extorted out of. I know the card I like to play is the offer of going to a insurance/ point reduction course for the ticket being dropped to a parking ticket with a hefty fine.

The courts are more likely to do that here in NY because if the ticket is a parking ticket the local town gets to keep all the cash if it is a moving violation like a speeding ticket the state takes a huge part of the fine. The other benefit I get is the insurance reduction which in one premium can pay for the ticket and course costs.

I keep my activism to a minimum when I try this tactic because I want to appear to be a "Good Boy". The last time I was cited was a stop sign violation which are considered serious. I was able to knock it down to a $100 parking ticket and taking the course. The course cost me $35 the fine was $100 for a total of $135 with the insurance reduction I got that back after the 2nd premium. The other thing that NY does is called a "driver responsibility fee" every year they send a bill out to anyone that has accumulated a point on their record and sends a bill based on the amount of points they have on the record out to them they do this every year until the point is off your record which could be 3 years later.

When I did pay the fine I wrote them a check and in the "For" area I wrote "Extortion" the clerk brought it up to the judge and I then explained that I believed this was all a scam to defraud me out of my hard earned money and got in to a small discussion with the judge about it. I did not change any minds that day but I possibly planted a seed that might sprout some day.

The one thing the government people want is obedience and if you act as you are going to be obedient then they are happy to wheel and deal with you.
Bet you didn't know that toads came in three flavors. (Disturbing Behavior)
There were two sides to that billboard and they both hurt equally. (40 Year Old Virgin)

Mainer

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

that actually does work. my friend done same thing.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »

If you want to go to court and fight it, have some shop recalibrate your speedometer first to see if it might have been a little slow ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  got a speeding ticket today

// ]]>

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 32 queries.