Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  GOOGLE CHROME SUCKS COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF ASS
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GOOGLE CHROME SUCKS COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF ASS  (Read 9664 times)

Bill Brasky

GOOGLE CHROME SUCKS COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF ASS
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:10 AM »

Seriously, its a total suckfest of suck.  It may run a little better "under the hood" as these fuckers love to throw the phrase around, but I can't really tell side by side any noticeable improvement, and it merged a bunch of my shit together.  It fucking ratted my YouTube account out and is gonna reassign it my iGoogle identity, and god knows what else.  Oh, and AdBlock doesn't exist.  Now I have to put up with this horseshit again>>>>>>

I say fuck you google chrome, Fuck You!   

ForumTroll

Re: GOOGLE CHROME SUCKS COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF ASS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »

I like it. It's got it's bug, but is overall a better than any web browser I've used to date.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:52:48 AM »

I dunno about the whole iGoogle thing, but why won't you install Adblock? It most certainly does exist.

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »

Being a Front End Architect (Web Coder d00d!) There's a lot about Chrome I like.  In fact, I'm using it now.  The biggest is the separate process stacks for each tab, including isolated memory, a far better garbage collection system and the fact that it's a WebKit variant, which means in generally it's going to be pretty speedy.

I still use firefox too, mainly because the extensions - particularly the web developer ones, are still much more robust.

Nerdiness aside, I can see who the whole data aggregation/consolidation without your approval would be really, really irritating.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »

@ all

First, I don't like the rendering, but I might have to find a lighter skin.  The buttons look shitty in quick launch, and it rearranged a bunch although it specifically asked me if I wanted to import all settings from FireFox.

Second, I got AdBlock Plus when the forum debacle was in full swing.  I already have it installed.  In Chrome, I assume I have to get the Chrome version?  Bollocks! 

Third, much of this is simply not being used to the layout, and I understand that, but it's like a secret if the page is still loading or not, like an afterthought.  Its a little tiny pinwheel in the upper-left, (psst, loading dude).  In  FF, you have a nice green status bar, bottom right. 

Fourth, I expected Google stuff to work faster or better in Chrome.  It does not.  Maybe in bench tests that measure in milliseconds, but YouTube isn't any better, and iGoogle still gives me loads of information temporarily unavailable  in their widgets - most of which are Google widgets and not donated by private geeks. 

Fifth, I don't like how forums perform in it, like when I use italics tags in writing something like this, and put the cursor into it, it deletes a bracket. 

So I don't see much gain, if my performance is hampered by all these shitty fucking glitches its arguably not any faster if you look at the big picture of time spent trying to surf. 

Criticisms aside, it seems exceptionally well coded, but the front end sucks really fucking bad.  And I thought most of those issues would've been fixed by now - I originally downloaded Chrome on the day it was released, and they haven't improved any of those flaws - those were the issues I had originally and un-installed it after one day.  (except for the YouTube hijacking, which really pisses me off.)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »

Criticisms aside, it seems exceptionally well coded, but the front end sucks really fucking bad. 
this

Chrome will live or die by how many open-source contributors it gets.
I have always estimated that the number of real hardcore OSS contributors is vanishingly small.

ForumTroll

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »

Maybe it's because I use Windows 7 with it that it's so much better? I dunno.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not completely nuts. 

Maybe it is better compatible with 7, maybe its the loose monkey running my machine.  But its really not supposed to be this shitfucked, computerin' is supposed to be easy.  I could see people like my mom getting annoyed, but I know what I'm doing on an elementary level.  I'm never gonna win coder of the year, but I can operate the fucking thing. 

I was having issues with YouTube loading, it always stalls on me, so I figured Chrome+YouTube would be all kinds of win.  Bzzt, wrong.  I've dumped cache, tweaked settings, updated Adobe Flash, checked for firewall redundancy, reset connection to the internets, its just a big fuckin annoyance.  I'm leaching, so I can't really complain. 

But ever watch a video on VEOH?  Fucking flawless.  Plays every time.  I think Goog is scraping too much data from its registered users, and my privacy settings are being non-responsive to certain queries.  For my next amazing trick, I think I'm gonna sign out of YouTube and run it from IE as a lurker.  Watch, it'll work like a champ. 

ForumTroll

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »

Youtube always stalls for me at random times no matter which browser I use. Server overload, nothing you can do about that. And I got a 20mbit downlink.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »

I was running vids the other day, no prob.  They buffer occasionally. 

In the last week or so, nada.  I can't watch YouTube at all.   I can get the pages to load, but no video playback. 

I haven't tried today.  it just makes no sense. 

ForumTroll

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »

It's being a bitch for me right now.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »

It's being a bitch for me right now.

The YouTube business model has officially failed. 

ForumTroll

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »

Could be China DDoS'ing it for Google not complying with their demands.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »

GODDAMN MONGOLS!

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »

Opera FTW.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  GOOGLE CHROME SUCKS COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF ASS

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.