Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales  (Read 9355 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Posting this here because it needs to be said, and posting it on Facebook would be problematic... unless I wish my daughter to become the neighborhood pariah amongst her catholic, methodist, baptist and jewish friends. (I'm already the weirdo who has been known to wear anti-government shirts to my 'mandatory volunteering' in the school media center and talks with enthusiasm about shooting zombie targets on ladies day at the range. This might push a few too many buttons.)

DL'd Penn Jillette's book from Audible.com today. Holy bacon cheeseburger! Penn reads it himself, and it's a bit like hanging out listening to friends... if your friends were really clever and knew a lot of really funny / interesting people.

If you're not reading it, you should.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Pizzly

• View Profile
Re: God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »

I heard Penn promote his book on Adam Carolla's podcast, he told a story about when he dropped his dick into a hair dryer.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »

I havent heard anything about this book before reading this thread, definitely very interested though. I've been a big fan of Penn's for a long time. Before I found out he was libertarian/atheist like me and when I only knew of him as a Magician duo.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »

Had the audiobook on for 3 hours of my run today, so am almost finished. I expected it to be funny, and it is. I expected hard truths presented in harsh light, and there were. It is also full of tender stories about his family and friends. It is thought provoking, touching and really fucking funny.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »

Mel had the hardcover on release day. She's been loving the crap out of it. I'll read t as soon as she's done.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »

Had the audiobook on for 3 hours of my run today, so am almost finished.
Training for a marathon?
Nope. For my 2nd half ironman and an ultra trail race. I am running the twin cities marathon in Octoboer with some girlfriends though. Left the house for a 12 mile run yesterday, and ended up on a whimsical  25 mile run.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »

Had the audiobook on for 3 hours of my run today, so am almost finished.
Training for a marathon?
Nope. For my 2nd half ironman and an ultra trail race. I am running the twin cities marathon in Octoboer with some girlfriends though. Left the house for a 12 mile run yesterday, and ended up on a whimsical  25 mile run.
OMG impressive

How long is the ultra trail race?

How many marathon/half marathon metals do you have?

This will be my third marathon. The ultra will be a 40 miler.
I've finished:
2 marathons, 12+ half marathons, 2 sprint triathlons, 2 olympic distance duathlons, and two metric centuries on the bike.

Bonked at 60 miles during my first ironman 70.3 in June. It was 95 degrees in Macon at 11am, and I'd already been puking for 5 miles when I decided to stop before an IV became necessary. Bugs me to no end, which is why I'm planning to sign up for the Miami Ironman (november) as soon as I get through the October marathon w/out injury.

It's getting to the point that other family members are starting to catch the running bug. My teenager came with me to my last event and competed in the Aquathlon - 5k run, 1500m swim, 10k run. Took 1st in his age group. It was wonderful!

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »

Kid ran a 6.06 today, first mile of a 5k.  But it fucked her in the long end. 

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »

Kid ran a 6.06 today, first mile of a 5k.  But it fucked her in the long end. 

That's impressive. Once she gets the hang of having her brain remind her legs about the distance of a race at the start line, she'll be steady & speedy. Happens to my teen the first couple crosscountry races each year, when he starts a 3 mile run at his 1 mile pace - he ends up with  5:12, 6:, 8: splits on those races, and sometimes pukes at the end.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »

How long have you been running/racing?

Started running 4 years ago this November, when temps dipped below 50 and it was too cold/windy to ride. First 5k was 3-1/2 years ago, and I kind of just kept adding distance. First two sprint tris were last summer, and I completed a couple of metric century rides (62-73 miles) this spring. A 200 mile relay was one of my favorite races last fall, and I hope to be part of a team again next spring.

My teenager has the running bug, and he is getting me to run. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I am lazy. We did our first 5k a few weeks ago. He liked it so he is doing a few more races this year. We are doing the Devil's Chase 6.66 miler in Salem at the end of October. We are registered for a half marathon in early April. I was going to register us for the Hampton half in February, but it's already full. I was like, really? There aren't a whole lot of races in the winter in the north. We are also going to do a race next summer as a duo. It's only a 5k, but it is up and down a ski mountain, with obstacles. That should be fun.

That. Is. Awesome. I love doing races with my family. Hubby & kids will run the 5k option anytime there's one as part of a half/full race I'm doing. Teen started breezing by me a few years ago, and I love running a couple miles behind him in races. The obstacle races are fun as a family too - we all went to warrior dash this year, tho younger kids were only spectators.

I'm in Hell for the next 30 days, and it seems like triple digit temps every day I've been here. The running window for me is between 4am-6:30am. I can't take the heat.
Which state is considered Hell? Before you break out the bandaids, try glide stick or one of the other products for chafing. You'll probably still need nipple guards if you start running 12+. The type of fabric you're wearing might be an issue, too.

What is your pace for the half and full marathons? I think I want to shoot for 9 minute miles...but just finishing would be nice.

8:30 for a 5k, 9 for 10k, 10:15-10:30 on a half and about 11:00 on a full. First 30 miler is next weekend, and I'm figuring 5mph, but that will include all my stops to buy water, mountain dew, fig newtons and french fries at various points.

As far as audio books...do you use an audio book app, or mp3 player, ???
Podcasts I listen to thru itunes, along with the occasional free book I've downloaded from them, but mostly I use the audible app for the iphone.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »

The bleeding nipples thing really freaked me out when I first heard about it.  Runners talk about it so casually.  It's fucked up!

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »

The bleeding nipples thing really freaked me out when I first heard about it.  Runners talk about it so casually.  It's fucked up!

Toenail loss is another thing that creeps people out.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »

I ran the Chicago/Lasalle marathon back in 1999. Did 10:53 miles. My inner thighs were bloodied pretty bad that night even though I was wearing running shorts with the super slick inner spandexy type protection.

Never ran again much after that. I'll do a few miles here and there nowadays, but nothing serious. Only enough to get the heart rate up for maybe 20 min or so. Just wanted to prove to myself I could finish a marathon.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »

Yeah, the fact that you lose toenails freaks me the hell out.  There's no way I'd want to do that myself, but I've got plenty of respect for those who do.

Back on topic, I need to do some lighter reading first, but God, No! is definitely on my list.  Penn is one of my favorite people, ever.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »

The bloody nipples I heard about, but not toenail loss. Could someone please explain this to me?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales

// ]]>

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 31 queries.