Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Getting your geek on. Non-geeks not allowed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting your geek on. Non-geeks not allowed.  (Read 9551 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Getting your geek on. Non-geeks not allowed.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »

Speaking of vector games, you remember this shit? I already had the ColecoVision that came out before this, so it was a no-go since I didn't have my own cash for it. Bummer.

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 01:04:14 AM »

Oh duuuude, riiiight. 

Tempest.  It was like all, pshwaaahhh.  (makes telescopic hand forms around face, extending outward and inward with psychedelic 3D noises)

Didn't dig it.  It reminded me of spiders.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »

No, never did 3D Tetris.  My mental image is sorta like Tetris-Jenga, in a tower.  Sounds cool, but I'd flunk out.  I know my limitations.

It was a bit of a bummer.

Thats not what I was referring to. This:  http://3dimka.deviantart.com/art/3D-Stereogram-Tetris-36795242

And while everyone else I knew had sega's, gamecubes, nintendos, etc. I had computers and grew up on Centipede, Asteroids (1&2) which someone put a picture of on here, Tempest, some 3D tank game I cant remember the name of, missile command, etc.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 03:05:22 AM »

Battlezone. I loved the shit out of battlezone.

Also this a bit:

I spent HOURS playing 3D Dinosaur Adventure, which wasnt even a real game as there was nothing to challenge you in it at all. It was just pure awesome is all. They should do an updated version.

But what I REALLY played a lot was Baldurs Gate. Man I loved that game. I so want to buy it again. I played the sequel for awhile until my asshole of a father took disk 3 from me and put it in "time out" when he was mad once. Then he "lost it" and I never got it back. The bastard. I still never found out how the damn thing ended.  Edit: I was thinking, what other game allows you to import your old character exactly as it was into the sequel? I mean that is one hellufa feature. You could go crazy awesome on the character in ways you only could in the first game, then play the next one and keep that power.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:08:29 AM by anarchir »
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fuckin' Getting your geek on. Non-geeks not allowed.
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:44 AM »

I called up the Beasty Boys.

I said: "Hello, Beasty Boys?"

They said "Yes" into their telephone.

I said "Put up a dope thing, for my bruh JohnShaw!"

And they said "Okay, if he puts on headphones".

I said I can't promise that, but I'm sure he will...

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:08:38 AM by Svengali »

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:02 AM »

In Manhattan this summer, in a t-shirt shop, I actually got my X to buy this shirt for her BF - rather than a CBGB OMFUG shirt, or a Lennon tee, or any other bullshit.. 

She said he was a geek, so I figured we'll see about that..  Never heard of it again. 

Even without knowing the origin, it's still a super cool logo. 

Thundercats rule. Especially the 2011 version. I only stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago.
People are so brainwashed by government and media lies that they'll actually argue their own rights away.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

I'll give ya 100 bucks for it if you still have it.

Seriously.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »

Taking suggestions for a material component and a better name. Not thrilled with this one. It was inspired by a scene from The Fog, the more recent version.

Death Mouth
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2,
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Effect: Dead body conveys a message
Duration: Permanent until discharged*
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell is much like a magic mouth but it requires a corpse or skeleton. The corpse will become animated as a skeleton or zombie, depending on the state of the corpse, and speak to deliver a message with the same limitations of Magic Mouth to the intended recipient(s) in the immediate area. The corpse will walk up to 30 ft if needed to deliver the message up close and personal but will not attack. Once the message has been delivered, the corpse collapses dead on the spot.

*Or until the body decays beyond the point of being possible to animate.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »

Taking suggestions for a material component and a better name. Not thrilled with this one. It was inspired by a scene from The Fog, the more recent version.

Death Mouth
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2,
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Effect: Dead body conveys a message
Duration: Permanent until discharged*
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell is much like a magic mouth but it requires a corpse or skeleton. The corpse will become animated as a skeleton or zombie, depending on the state of the corpse, and speak to deliver a message with the same limitations of Magic Mouth to the intended recipient(s) in the immediate area. The corpse will walk up to 30 ft if needed to deliver the message up close and personal but will not attack. Once the message has been delivered, the corpse collapses dead on the spot.

*Or until the body decays beyond the point of being possible to animate.

Material component is the body. Its a pretty cool sounding effect, but why would you want a corpse to move 30 feet to speak for you? To trick someone into thinking it was speaking from the grave (as its former body resident)?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

The corpse, a chicken leg bone wrapped in a leather strap, and a letter with the message written in the casters blood stuffed into the mouth of the corpse.

I played the same necromancer character for 12 years, twice a week for about six hours. (Doing math) 7488 hours give or take (Most likely give as we did a few Christmas holiday four and five day sleepover orgies of gaming) of playing good ole' Hexus.

Holy shit that's 312+ days.

Anyway I wrote hundreds of spells for him. All Necromancy/Alteration if you want any. They'd need some conversion because we were playing First Edition + Unearthed Arcana and Second edition but many of them are fucking pimp and none were rules rapey. (We played a really conservative campaign and retired our characters on or around level 24 after 12 years of playing.)

Many of them are high level, but hey, that's what villains are for, right? Springing spells no one has seen before.

Example spell -

Hexus's Improved Wall of Boney Bones
Necromancy/Conjuration
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 round
Level: 8

Creates a wall of bone that erupts from any open, natural surface (Earth, sand, stone, etc) Volume created is 10x10x2 feet per level of the caster and can be configured in any shape the caster wishes, (Square, hollow cube, dome, stairs, you name it so long as the volume is sorta correct.) The wall is a permanent construct and each 10x10x2 segment can withstand 60 hit points of damage before collapsing.

On the round after casting, for every 10x10x2 segment of wall created, one six hit die skeleton will step out of the solidified assembly of bones in service of the caster. They will follow verbal commands with up to five simple variables at a time. (Example - "Climb that ladder, enter the door up there, kill anyone in the room, pick up any books you see, then return to me.) The Skeletons speak and have comedic personalities in strict accordance to the rule of funny. They move quickly enough to roll initiative rather than to automatically act last in the round like other skeletons. They are otherwise identical to a standard animated skeleton and will continue to serve their master until destroyed. They carry femur bones that act as a club, doing 1d6 damage.

Note - These skeletons make a lot of racket and constantly make puns about bones, sex, and sex with bones. They are not conducive to the achievement of stealth. They also each refer to each other by a unique name.

Material components are a vial of the caster's blood, a ruby worth 1000gp, any bone from the hand of a cleric or priest, and the seed or nut of a tree.

Hexus's Improved Wall of Boney Bones can be used in combination with Hexus's Bones of Steel to create sturdier permanent structures and buildings.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 12:23:53 AM »

Apparently components are a joke.  You could go with a dead pigeon, string, ink, and parchment or something to that effect.

And to add to the list of geekiness, I'm currently GMing a Pathfinder (D&D "3.75") game with a group of friends.  Everyone is having a blast :)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:19 AM »

Apparently components are a joke.  You could go with a dead pigeon, string, ink, and parchment or something to that effect.

Depends on how your GM treats it I suppose. But yeah, a lot of them are puns.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »

My friend and I used to sling-shot golf balls across a river.

He had this mega-awesome sling-shot (probably still does), made of surgical tubing.  That yellow tube stuff, real fucking thick.  About as big around as your pinkie finger.

It required three guys. 

Two would hold the sides of the sling-shot.  It had pieces of garden hose to cause "handles" in the stretched tubes. 

It looked like this, if you were holding the golf ball, and pulling backwards on it, about nine ft.   ><

Then, you'd let the fucker sing.  Threw a golf ball easily 300 yards.

You could throw water balloons, too.  Or rocks.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 01:57:52 AM »

We had one of those. Took it to the beach and would shoot handfuls of rocks out of it into Lake Michigan pissing off the seaguls.

I think they called it a Winger........... not to be confused with the super-gay 80's hair band fronted by Kip Winger.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:38 AM »

I think he called his a "Sling Shot".  But he spoke it with the words capitalized, as to not confuse it with the word "sling shot".

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Getting your geek on. Non-geeks not allowed.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.