Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Getting past internet censors in China...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting past internet censors in China...  (Read 9243 times)

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
Getting past internet censors in China...
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »

Ok.  Torr-project.org is one prospect.  Also I heard the commercial for patriot-internet.com and there may be other ways around it.  I do have my office computers here in the US that I can remote from China using logmein.com through my account there, but there has to be better ways...

Any ideas here would be appreciated...

ChristianAnarchist

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Getting past internet censors in China...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:13:37 PM »

Got into Hong Kong last night (after 15 hour flight from Newark) and this hotel we are in has no internet censorship that I can find so far.  Even watched a youtube clip on the Tianamen Square Massacre...

Maybe mainland will be different...

ChristianAnarchist

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:42:29 AM »

Been in Wuhan for about 10 hours now and through my in-laws DSL connection, there is censorship for sure.  Youtube is totally blocked here.  Even when I go to campaignforliberty.com and see the web pages there, any link to youtube just shows a blank window.  Clicking on the link brings up a timeout message after a minute.

I can get on BBC and so far any other sites I've tried.  Alex Jones and freetalklive are not blocked.  So far, it's only youtube and http://cryptome.cn/tk/tiananmen-kill.htm that I have found blocked.  Interestingly, the wiki page on Tianamen was not blocked.  Also  news.bbc.co.uk/ onthisday/ hi/ dates/ stories/ june/ 4/ newsid_2496000/ 2496277.stm was blocked.  It seems that they have a special hatred for youtube and anything associated with Tianamen.  Some stuff gets through, but I'm sure that if those sites begin to take a large number of hits from China, they will be assessed and blocked if determined to be in violation of their "policy"...

So now I need to determine some way to get around this violation of my rights...

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »

Proxy server.  Use your home computer if you have to.

ChristianAnarchist

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »

Proxy server.  Use your home computer if you have to.

I have never set up a proxy server before.  If you could point me to the basics I would appreciate it.  Is it necessary to install something like winproxy or can one configure a winXP machine to be the proxy without additional software?

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »

I did it once.  Google told me how.  Beyond that, you need to talk to one of the bonified geeks around here.

ChristianAnarchist

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »

OK so I went and downloaded psiphon proxy server and installed it on my office computer through remote log in.  I then configured my router for virtual server.  I still cannot view youtube video.  I can see the youtube page but when I click on a video I get a message saying that I have javascript disabled or do not have the flash player.  I get the same message whether I use IE or Firefox.  I even set my scriptblocker in Firefox to "allow scripts globally" and still it doesn't work.  I feel that there may be some way for the censors to block java but I don't seem to find anything about it. 

Any brainy types care to give me an idea on what else I can try???

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »

If you can remote login to your home PC, why not just surf from home and watch it on the screen where you are? They can't do any packet sniffing when it's all tied up in the VPN stream.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »

Try TOR (The Onion Router). It's easy to setup, it's slower than snot, though.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

davann

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »

Go to Taiwan instead?

As a side note that I was going to bring up before, that new symbol/avatar you have was made by R3, right? Did you notice that it has the Iron Cross, a popular Nazi symbol, in it?

rabidfurby

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:44 PM »

As a side note that I was going to bring up before, that new symbol/avatar you have was made by R3, right? Did you notice that it has the Iron Cross, a popular Nazi symbol, in it?

sssshhhh....

Luke Smith

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:02 AM »

Go to Taiwan instead?

The Iron Cross is a German military symbol, not a Nazi symbol. The Iron Cross has been around in Germany forever, way before the Nazis, and still is used by the German military to this very day way after the Nazis.

davann

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »

Go to Taiwan instead?

The Iron Cross is a German military symbol, not a Nazi symbol. The Iron Cross has been around in Germany forever, way before the Nazis, and still is used by the German military to this very day way after the Nazis.

Yes, yes. Very good. You is smart. The symbol itself can be traced back to German knights and it is still used by the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe but in the States it is mostly associated with Hitler & Co. I am also fairly certain the creator did not know it has been a German symbol for a long time. I am equally as sure he inserted it simply because it was used by the Nazi.

I was merely pointing it out in case Gene did not see it.

ChristianAnarchist

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »

All of which has nothing to do with censorship in China...

I did finally get "youtube" by using "patriotinternet.com" which advertises on GCN.  They are a VPN service that disguises your web presence.  Strange though that I could not get my "personal" VPN to do the same thing...

davann

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »

All of which has nothing to do with censorship in China...

I did finally get "youtube" by using "patriotinternet.com" which advertises on GCN.  They are a VPN service that disguises your web presence.  Strange though that I could not get my "personal" VPN to do the same thing...

True enough.

Are you staying only in hotels or at relative's homes? If at the later are you not concerned with the possibility of getting them in trouble?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:52:54 PM by davann »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Getting past internet censors in China...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 32 queries.